Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2020 2:37:07 PM EDT
My son want's 1 of my AR15's. I'm in MN and he's stationed at Ft Carson. I'm certain he still has a MN drivers license but probably expired at this point.

If I send it to a FFL in his area can he still fill out the paperwork using his military id?

I tried to look at the laws and it looks like it's ok but I'm just not sure and he's not either.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.springsarmory.com/ffl-transfer.html

*Photo ID requirements:

Acceptable identification is a valid government-issued ID that contains your current Colorado address. If it does not have your current address on it, you must have something in addition to the photo ID that proves your current residency (i.e. car registration, tax document, utility bill etc.).

If you are in the military and you are stationed in Colorado, you will need to bring your current (unexpired) Driver’s license and a copy of your military PCS orders to a base located in Colorado. You also need proof of Colorado address and that you've resided in Colorado for at least 90 days.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think drivers licenses expire for active duty when you're stationed out of your home state. At least that's the way it used to be. Whether that's good enough for an FFL transfer I have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Send it to Bass Pro in the in springs.  $30 transfer, and they know how to do it, unlike the source quoted above.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think drivers licenses expire for active duty when you're stationed out of your home state. At least that's the way it used to be. Whether that's good enough for an FFL transfer I have no idea.
View Quote
Depends on the state I think. Mine expired when I was deployed and I had to have a family member renew it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Depends on the state I think. Mine expired when I was deployed and I had to have a family member renew it.
View Quote

Each state will have their own requirements and definitions of their military clause (if they have one).  Some are automatic and some require paperwork to be filed.  Best to check with the individual state of residency.

To the OP, your son never lost his residency.  He retains his residency from his home of record (normally where he enlisted out of) while he serves, even if it is out of state.  With his PCS orders he is entitled to residency benefits that his orders assign him to.  I would suggest just waiting until Christmas time frame when he would be able to come back on leave, no shipping or FFL transfer necessary at that point unless your state requires such for a private “sale”.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, he is fine. I use family firearms, lots of mil customers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Springs Armory is good to go too, and a little closer to Carson. $26 bucks or so w/ mil discount.

Bass pro is north by a bit and traffic sucks getting there. I wouldn’t go there unless I needed kitsch decorative BS. They’re useless for anything else.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Side note: I wouldn't send any magazines with the rifle if you were to send him magazines. Depending on the FFL, your son may never see them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No reply should be considered legal advice
View Quote

People who take legal advice from strangers on the internet are dummies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Military ID and orders assigning him to Ft Cartoon are sufficient to complete the transfer, regardless of state id situation.
The MPs will store it for him, but he has to get a letter signed by his CO (usually battalion level will do) and he has to provide a lockable case.
Sometimes the MP desk gets busy, but I never had to wait more than 15 minutes to signin/signout.
MPs are privates too, make sure that case is very tamper resistant.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Military ID and orders assigning him to Ft Cartoon are sufficient to complete the transfer, regardless of state id situation.
The MPs will store it for him, but he has to get a letter signed by his CO (usually battalion level will do) and he has to provide a lockable case.
Sometimes the MP desk gets busy, but I never had to wait more than 15 minutes to signin/signout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This would assume he is living in the barracks. I've never known MP's to store anything. It should be stored in the company Arms Room. Real pain. If he is off post, no need.

Quoted:
Side note: I wouldn't send any magazines with the rifle if you were to send him magazines. Depending on the FFL, your son may never see them.

Military and LEO are exempt from the 2013 "law".
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Military and LEO are exempt from the 2013 "law".
View Quote

I've had shady FFLs still refuse to give me mags that came with the gun after showing military ID.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've had shady FFLs still refuse to give me mags that came with the gun after showing military ID.
View Quote

Name them. Not because I don't believe you. But because I want them publicly shamed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Name them. Not because I don't believe you. But because I want them publicly shamed.
View Quote

Was years ago. The one I'm thinkinf of in particular I can't find on gunbroker's ffl finder (where I found him last time). Charged me per firearm instead of per 4473 and he was off Wadsworth and 108th Avenue in the Countryside neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Was years ago. The one I'm thinkinf of in particular I can't find on gunbroker's ffl finder (where I found him last time). Charged me per firearm instead of per 4473 and he was off Wadsworth and 108th Avenue in the Countryside neighborhood.
View Quote

why wouldn't an FFL charge you per firearm?  do you think it's the same amount of work for 1 or 5?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

why wouldn't an FFL charge you per firearm?  do you think it's the same amount of work for 1 or 5?
View Quote

Don't a lot of places charge a significantly reduced amount for 2nd, 3rd, etc., in the same transaction, or even just per 4473?

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every FFL I've been to charged me one transfer fee per 4473 instead of per firearm. I might just be going to cool FFLs minus that guy though.

I understand they have to log each and every firearm and it's not the same amount of work. Just happened to be that the only FFL that didn't give me my standard capacity magazines was also the only one that charged me per firearm instead of per 4473.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top