Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 9:12:12 AM EDT
ok- so its been a few years since ive worn any camo that isnt designed for hiding from two legged critters- and just as long since ive fired a fudd gun-

but dove season is coming up, and i cant remember a more entertaining activity from the days of my youth.

i live on the Western Slope-  right on I-70.  can someone reccomend a good spot to go shoot a few doves?  for some reason, i really feel the need to pull out dad's wingmaster, spray paint a 5 gallon bucket camo, pack a few cokes, and a sammich, and shoot a ton of shells in the hot weather!

any advice to a relative new comer to CO would be appreciated.

the last time i even attempted, i went down to Fruita, in about 2009, and literally didnt see a single bird.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure where to point you, but the idea does bring up some good memories! Lots of doves here on the front range/plains but I don't know where to go either...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Ohh Yeeeesssss. We would hunt in Southern Indiana. Framers would pick watermellon and afterwards they would bush hog the fields throwing watermellon seeds (from the too small or too ripe mellons) everywhere. The doves were thick. Lots of shooting, Lots of fun.

In the the info.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]
ohhh man!  bush hogged watermelon patches were the hot spot when i was a boy in AL!

i can almost taste the dove breast, wrapped in bacon, brushed with A1 sauce on the grill!

im in for a drive to the front range too- if we want to put together an arfcom dove hunting day!
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of mellon patches, anyone have contacts for hunting doves in the Rocky Ford area?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ohhh man!  bush hogged watermelon patches were the hot spot when i was a boy in AL!

i can almost taste the dove breast, wrapped in bacon, brushed with A1 sauce on the grill!

im in for a drive to the front range too- if we want to put together an arfcom dove hunting day!
View Quote

I'm waaaay in.

Dove hunting was a staple in my life until I left CA. We would sit in between Pistachio orchards, and shoot them. A small bird traveling at 50+MPH with a 20 yard visual made for an awesome time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Never done it...I'm in!
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Well damnit let's find a place! I grew up in MO hunting them in sunflower and corn fields. Either way we need quite a few folks with shotguns and lots of shells to "keep  em movin" what more do a bunch of Arfcommers want??
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#8]
im good to go- several cases of 7 1/2's in the garage!  

someone's gotta know someplace!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
im good to go- several cases of 7 1/2's in the garage!  

someone's gotta know someplace!
View Quote

I have a buddy in Lamar, I'll give him a jingle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]

thats funny-  i went to a LE training down in Lamar in March, and was thinking to myself that there must be amazing dove hunting around there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top