Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2011 8:11:34 AM EDT
It looks like I will be relocating to Colorado (between Craig and Steamboat Springs) at the end of this month (beginning of September). I was on the Colorado web sights researching vehicle taxes and registration fees. They don't give you a fee/tax/registration estimate (think its value of vehicle. When I moved to SC last year, my fee was about $400. Can anyone give me an idea as to what the cost will be around? My truck is a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, it has about 29,000 miles on it. It was originally registered in NC.

I still need to research about how I go about getting everything switch over, I was just curious about what fees I will be looking at.

Thank you.

Jack
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It will be pretty similar to what it was in SC. Maybe a little cheaper. My 06 Rubicon  and 07 Grand Cherokee were both around 200 bucks this year.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It looks like I will be relocating to Colorado (between Craig and Steamboat Springs) at the end of this month (beginning of September). I was on the Colorado web sights researching vehicle taxes and registration fees. They don't give you a fee/tax/registration estimate (think its value of vehicle. When I moved to SC last year, my fee was about $400. Can anyone give me an idea as to what the cost will be around? My truck is a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, it has about 29,000 miles on it. It was originally registered in NC.

I still need to research about how I go about getting everything switch over, I was just curious about what fees I will be looking at.

Thank you.

Jack

A fellow FJ'er!!!!  A 2008 will probably run u about $400 this year but most of it is an ownership tax that is tax decuctible!!!  You should go over to the fj cruiser forums as well !  Good group of people and we do a lot of offroading together!!!!  I go by the same name over there!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
don't forget you'll also need a VIN verification
and
joy of joys, probably an emissions test (depending on where you are).

$400 sounds about right

don't worry, they waste it all.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
This is for Douglas County but it might give you a good idea of what you in for,

http://www.douglas.co.us/clerk/motorvehicle/Registration_Fee_&_Estimate.html
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate it.

Can't wait to make the 3 day drive
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey, thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate it.

Can't wait to make the 3 day drive

I've done the trip a few times.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I've done Atlanta to Montrose 3 times in 2 days each time. Definitely not fun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Call me weird, but I enjoy the drive. I go back to NC/GA every year for Christmas.

Any dealer can do a VIN inspection, mine was free at the local toyota place. Insurance is cheaper here than it was in NM.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:32:08 AM EDT
[#9]
You're looking at fifty bucks of flat fees, plus about half of one percent of what you paid. The value-based part is deductible from income taxes and drops each year.

Plus a VIN inspection, which most police departments do for five or ten bucks. One time only, on cars from out of state.

I don't think emissions testing is required if you're going to be living in Routt County. It's mostly a front range/plains thing.

Legally, you've got thirty days from becoming a resident to make that happen.

Drivers licensing is supposed to happen immediately upon becoming a resident. When I came from Illinois back in the nineties, I just needed to give up my old license and about fifteen bucks. I don't remember even having an eye exam.

The only insurance required by state law is liability. $25k I think it is. Most county clerks won't give you your plates without it.

Suggestion: make sure you've got decent uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. That's a bit of a problem here.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid about $400 when I registered my 2008 Titan earlier this year.  All I had to do for my driver's license was show them my Florida license and fill out a form.  No tests or anything.  The one weird thing, which I don't know if it is unique to my county or not, is that they did not give me my license right away.  Instead, they punched a hole in my Florida license and gave me a temporary license certificate on plain paper that I had to use until my Colorado license came in the mail.  I was a little leery of flying with the combination, but everywhere I went didn't seem to have any problems with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I paid about $400 when I registered my 2008 Titan earlier this year.  All I had to do for my driver's license was show them my Florida license and fill out a form.  No tests or anything.  The one weird thing, which I don't know if it is unique to my county or not, is that they did not give me my license right away.  Instead, they punched a hole in my Florida license and gave me a temporary license certificate on plain paper that I had to use until my Colorado license came in the mail.  I was a little leery of flying with the combination, but everywhere I went didn't seem to have any problems with it.

And why do you still list FL as you location?  

Until my house in Florida sells and my wife and child move to Colorado, I don't consider myself a resident.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top