Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 12:02:26 PM EDT
My brother and his friends are coming to visit and we are going camping. Thinking about doing a little novice fishing, nothing serious. Would be nice to bust a few rounds off, but not a necessity. Anyone have any experience with Twin Lakes area camping/trails? Or left hand reservoir west of Ward, CO? Just trying to decide between those two. Trails cannot be too crazy to get to camping area as I have a stock suspension 2006 dodge ram 1500 4x4. Looking for something that is not fee, more or less find a trail and stop somewhere in the middle of nowhere....

Any help would be nice, i know some of the jeep forums are good to sift through for this kind of thing, but dont have the time nor the modified jeep to get to those places.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
which one of the three threads are you wanting an answer in?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, check your mouse fire selector
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah my bad, just went to the threads and noticed that. I guess that's what you get for posting at work!! Sorry about that, it kept coming up as server errors and didn't think it was going through.

Again I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just up that way for two weeks and would suggest Cottonwood Lake near Buena Vista.  There is a nice FS campground (1st come 1st served), a nice lake with good fishing from shore or a canoe, and plenty of National Forest surrounding the area just beyond the lake to use for shooting and if the campground is full.  A stock SUV is fine for anything nearby.  I also camped at Twin Lakes, and Turquoise reservoir, and liked Cottonwood better than the others.

G
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Any where in the Nat Forest...50 ft from any FS road or trail is fine for plinking. The distance is greater if your park in the FS campground or picnic  area. Twin Lakes is okay. NIce inn in town. Old ghost town across the lake on the south side. Any thing up on Cottonwood is a little more "unused".
 Another suggestion is the old Camp Hale ( 10th Mtn  Div train area) off of Tenn Pass near Leadville, ( Camping,fishing and shooting.) Shoot up any of the FS roads east and up from the old camp area. . www.traildamage.com /ie COLO/will give you a bunch of info and printable maps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was just up that way for two weeks and would suggest Cottonwood Lake near Buena Vista.  There is a nice FS campground (1st come 1st served), a nice lake with good fishing from shore or a canoe, and plenty of National Forest surrounding the area just beyond the lake to use for shooting and if the campground is full.  A stock SUV is fine for anything nearby.  I also camped at Twin Lakes, and Turquoise reservoir, and liked Cottonwood better than the others.

G

Any pictures you could post???
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Taylor Park reservoir is nice too; it's on the west side of Cottonwood Pass, NE of Gunnison.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Taylor Park reservoir is nice too; it's on the west side of Cottonwood Pass, NE of Gunnison.

Looking for something that's not outside of 3 hours from denver metro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top