Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 11:36:09 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I was wondering how CCW permit reciprocity works, in Colorado and in general.  I'm probably moving to Texas sometime this summer, and I was wondering if I apply for and receive a Colorado CCW while I'm still living here, can I just take it to Texas and continue to use it there, or will I need to turn in / destroy my Colorado permit once I move out of state?  I would like to (if it's legal) get my CCW now, and then use it in Texas after I move until it expires and then apply for a Texas permit, but somehow I'm thinking that wouldn't be "proper."

I'd appreciate any advice you could offer.  Even if you just tell me I should talk to the local LEO or city hall about it (which is what I probably should have done in the first place...).  Thanks!

Dave
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's my non-lawyer take on it...

Since Colorado doesn't issue non-resident permits, I think you'd be legal under a reciprocity agreement w/Texas up until the point you establish legal residence there.  At that point you'd no longer be a Colorado resident and your Colorado permit would no longer be valid.

I'd still check with your local sheriff's office, though.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Here's my non-lawyer take on it...

Since Colorado doesn't issue non-resident permits, I think you'd be legal under a reciprocity agreement w/Texas up until the point you establish legal residence there.  At that point you'd no longer be a Colorado resident and your Colorado permit would no longer be valid.

I'd still check with your local sheriff's office, though.  

Sounds reasonable.

Get one from TX anyway. It's good to have one from "home turf" just to avoid any little discrepancies in the laws.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Always good to look here: www.packing.org

Has state by state laws, and recip.......
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I really need to come in to these hometown forums more often.

I would have saved $50 in transfer fees so far this month!

Anyway, on to the question -

I don't know how CO laws work in terms of how they consider someone in our capacity a "resident."  Often times the negative side effect is paying state taxes - I tend to shy away from that.

I never bothered to look too much in to it, since my Florida permit is accepted here.  I had been stationed in Florida before here.

That gets me to my point - apparently, a lot of guys are applying for Florida permits without even living there - they will issue to non Florida residents.

It's about the best permit going as far as reciprocity is concerned.  Your ID card is all supposedly all they need for training proof (scary, I know).  I sent in a crapload of other stuff just in case.  Best part is, the guy that signs it used to be "Charles Bronson" - he may still in that position.  The permits are good for 5 years.

As for me, I'm off to California this fall - I think I will have to go back to being disarmed .

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Go get a Florida permit. You'll be good to go in more places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top