Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:19:40 PM EDT
Rulison and Rio Blanco were nuclear weapon detonations, the only two that occurred in CO.  Both were part of the Plow Share program to use nukes for peaceful purposes; in the case of Rulison and Rio Blanco, production of natural gas, IRC.

I'll look up the exact GPS coordinates and post tomorrow AM.

Anybody know if you can drive and/or walk into and visit these nuke sites?

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they were both underground detonations. I don't think there is much to see. If I remeber correctly one is south of Parachute.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think they were both underground detonations. I don't think there is much to see. If I remeber correctly one is south of Parachute.

Yes, they were both underground.  Sometimes there's something to see, sometimes not.  At Faultless at the defunct CNTS, there is the 8 foot diameter stem still visible with a little plaque.  I've got shots of it.

Here are the coordinates per DOENV209, Rev. 15:

Rulison: 39.356  -107.949 near Grand Valley

Rio Blanco: 39.793  -107.368 (actually 3 nukes were set off here) near Rifle.

Google Earth shows them both, but the location is slightly different for Rulison, don't know why.

Thanks,

Merlin

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes, they were both underground.  Sometimes there's something to see, sometimes not.  At Faultless at the defunct CNTS, there is the 8 foot diameter stem still visible with a little plaque.  I've got shots of it.

Google Earth shows them both, but the location is slightly different for Rulison, don't know why.

Thanks,

Merlin

I was told by a local that the Rio Blanco one was south of I-70, those coordinates show it to the north. I might be in the area next weekend, if I have time I'll see if there is access.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Merlin

I was told by a local that the Rio Blanco one was south of I-70, those coordinates show it to the north. I might be in the area next weekend, if I have time I'll see if there is access.

Rio Blanco is north of I-70, Rulison is south of it.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The Rulison site is just south I-70. There is a marker there, but I believe the site is located on private property. There is currently a lot of gas field drilling in the area.

The Rio Blanco site is, I believe, in the Piceance Creek basin. Although I don't know just where.

I have a Bureau of Land Management topo map that covers from just east of Glenwood Springs to just west of Rifle, from the Colo. River north to just below Meeker. It's the "Glenwood Springs" map.

newracer is correct. Both of those set of coordinates are north of I-70. In fact, the ones for the Rulison site would place it at the base of the Roan Cliffs in the oil shale slides. That's completely counter to all the local accounts that place it in the semi forested mountainside south of the river and I-70. There's something wrong with those coordinates.

I live in Rifle. I was going to do a write up of this for my 10,000th post but couldn't find any online archives from the local newspapers covering the projects. I can check out the library Tuesday, they're closed on Monday, see what I can find there.

What a strange, messed up week this has been. I forgot this was Friday. I'll see if I can make time to hit the library tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Rulison site is just south I-70. There is a marker there, but I believe the site is located on private property. There is currently a lot of gas field drilling in the area.

The Rio Blanco site is, I believe, in the Piceance Creek basin. Although I don't know just where.

I have a Bureau of Land Management topo map that covers from just east of Glenwood Springs to just west of Rifle, from the Colo. River north to just below Meeker. It's the "Glenwood Springs" map.

newracer is correct. Both of those set of coordinates are north of I-70. In fact, the ones for the Rulison site would place it at the base of the Roan Cliffs in the oil shale slides. That's completely counter to all the local accounts that place it in the semi forested mountainside south of the river and I-70. There's something wrong with those coordinates.

I live in Rifle. I was going to do a write up of this for my 10,000th post but couldn't find any online archives from the local newspapers covering the projects. I can check out the library Tuesday, they're closed on Monday, see what I can find there.

What a strange, messed up week this has been. I forgot this was Friday. I'll see if I can make time to hit the library tomorrow.

Do a google search on both names, I found a bunch of local articles from CO papers about both sites.  

One is south, the other is north of I-70, at least according to GE.  I'll double check the coordinates from DOENEV-209 (list of all US nuke tests) and post Monday.

If you open GE and check the "military" box under Google Community, both sites should show up when you scan the area.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I did get to spend about an hour at the library and there ain't shit there. I was able to find two personal accounts though. One said Battlement Mesa and the other Morrisiana Mesa, which is likely more accurate. And both are south of the river/interstate.

I'm guessing GE is Google Earth? I don't do GE as I'm on dialup.

I'll see what I can find next week at the musuem. Maybe they'll be open during the week sometime.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I did get to spend about an hour at the library and there ain't shit there. I was able to find two personal accounts though. One said Battlement Mesa and the other Morrisiana Mesa, which is likely more accurate. And both are south of the river/interstate.

I'm guessing GE is Google Earth? I don't do GE as I'm on dialup.

I'll see what I can find next week at the musuem. Maybe they'll be open during the week sometime.

Yea, sorry, GE = Google Earth.

Thanks for the help.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top