Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 1:51:29 PM EDT
Anyone around Ft Carson. Id like to set up some Tactical shoot and greet type things.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm just at the other end of town.  Shooting or off-roading, I'm game.  Weekdays are easier for me.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Im new here but I might like to.  Im in Fort Collins, where is Ft Carson?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Im new here but I might like to.  Im in Fort Collins, where is Ft Carson?

About 2 hours south of you down I-25, near CO Springs. Unlike Fort Collins, Fort Carson is actually a military post.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I was gone for awhile. My email is [email protected].  Anyone interested send me an email and well set something up. Got a great place to shoot in Canyon City.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#6]
meh.  Excess of bills and lack of jobs is going to have me looking at my guns instead of shooting them.  But I'll let you know if I somehow manage to get those reversed
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
where are you shooting in cañon city?  I am from there but I go to school in boulder.  I may be down there in the next few weeks for spring break.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a friend there. Melchert enterprises. Best deals on Firearms ive ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I've bought some stuff from him.  hes a good guy
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
How about doing some shooting at Ft Carson?  I just renewed my range card today so I'm good for another year.  I opened range 19 today and zeroed one of my hunting rifles.  Three other groups of people showed up before it got too windy to do any serious long-range work.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Where do you guys like to shoot around the Springs?  I don't really care to use the POW range on Carson, because it's too much like running a range at work!  I usually just go out to Dragon Arms on weekends, since they're fairly well organized with a range officer and everything, but I'm always interested in trying out other ranges.  I've heard that Rampart Range can be a little dicey with guys showing up and just blasting away...

The Pueblo West Sportsman Association range is nice, but I've never been around town long enough to make it worth joining.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive got a great spot in Penrose. About 20 minutes from the post down 115. One of the guys here posted that he knew Mr. Melchert. Hes a great guy and he gets the best deals on Firearms ive ever gotten. Yall email me for my number and we will get this done.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Just FYI, there are IPSC Pistol matches (2nd Sunday of every month), Internation Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Pistol matches (3rd Sunday of every month), and a Rifle (run and gun) match (4th Sunday of every month) at the Pueblo West Sportsman Association.

You don't have to be a member of the PWSA to shoot the matches, and match fees are $10 - $15

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Where do you guys like to shoot around the Springs?  I don't really care to use the POW range on Carson, because it's too much like running a range at work!  I usually just go out to Dragon Arms on weekends, since they're fairly well organized with a range officer and everything, but I'm always interested in trying out other ranges.  I've heard that Rampart Range can be a little dicey with guys showing up and just blasting away...

The Pueblo West Sportsman Association range is nice, but I've never been around town long enough to make it worth joining.

Dave

Actually, the times I have opened up the POW range, it has been very low-key.  At least half of the time, it's just me and the other ID card holder I bring along to open the range.  For me, Dragon Man is overpriced and overcrowded - plus, it's only a 100 yard range (at best).  Just my $.02 worth.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
That sounds pretty good. I dont care much for IPSC  though. I like alot of tactical shooting. But since I cant run anymore i have to walk and shoot. LOL

Quoted:
Just FYI, there are IPSC Pistol matches (2nd Sunday of every month), Internation Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Pistol matches (3rd Sunday of every month), and a Rifle (run and gun) match (4th Sunday of every month) at the Pueblo West Sportsman Association.

You don't have to be a member of the PWSA to shoot the matches, and match fees are $10 - $15

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That sounds pretty good. I dont care much for IPSC  though. I like alot of tactical shooting. But since I cant run anymore i have to walk and shoot. LOL

A lot of guys walk and shoot.  There are some older guys who shoot and some younger guys with injuries (knees, back, etc).  I've seen guys out there on crutches or in wheel chairs shooting.  You don't have to be a world class triathelete to come out and have a good time.

The IDPA shoots are a lot of fun and geared toward tactical shooting.  The rifle matches you can shoot "tactically" and not game them.  A majority of the time they have you shooting from behind cover, etc.....so it's kind of tactical anyways.

I generally shoot the IDPA and rifle match every month.  The IDPA match also has either a shotgun or rifle side match every month.

Forgot to mention in April or May, "Rags" will start up his "ALL STEEL" pistol matches.  The All Steel matches go through the summer months (ie. May to Sept)  They are EVERY Wednsday night.  You can show up as early as 4pm or as lat as 6pm - 6:30pm to shoot the match.  The things that I REALLY like about the ALL STEEL matches are:

-You shoot each stage (usually 4 different stages) 5 times.  This give you a chance to really push your limits and try different techniques (ie. shooting from left to right one time, then try it right to left).

-It's all steel, so there are no paper targets to paste up, and you know immedately (audio "ding" of bullet hitting steel) if you hit the target or not

-The matches only take a couple hours.

-They are every week (not once a month like most matches), last summer I noticed a big improvement in my pistol shooting from shooting these matches.

-The guys that shoot the All Steel matches are a great bunch of guys, not a lot of egos or cliques.

PWSA also has 3 gun matches, cowboy, CMP, and many other disciplines.  And it's only 30 minutes or so from Ft. Carson (the back gate that goes to Widefield is exit 132 on the interstate....the PWSA range is located 10 minutes from exit 108....only 24 miles down I-25)

Take care and stay safe

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#17]
i'm new to ft carson (got stationed here for 3 years) and looking to do the same thing. thats pretty much the kinda shooting my fellow wisconsin group did and still do. were is canyon city?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Match announcement for Pueblo West:

The Semi-Auto Rifle Match is on for this Sunday, 3/26/06.

-Set-up starts at 0645 (set up is if you want to come help set up the stages).  Walk-thru at 0945 (it is mandatory that you be there for the walk through, this is where they explain the stages, and break all the shooters down into squads).

-The combination to the BLUE lock is 2506, be sure to lock in a series to allow other users of the range access/exit.

-Plan on about 125 rounds.

-Great weather is forecast.  (in Pueblo West that means moderate to high wind with dust)

Two changes:
   1) We bought two full-size Pepper Poppers to be used at the 425 yard line.  The 20" gongs owned by PWSA are a little too big for our purposes, and they are shot up.  I'll set up the rifle-only Poppers not to fall and equip them with strobe lights to indicate scoring hits.  For the Bolt Gun Matches we will use sandbags or some type of barrier to limit the size of the scoring area.

2) The 425 yard range is very cluttered and the terrain is uneven.  It is sometimes difficult to spot the Flash Targets.  From now on we'll paint the targets on this range ORANGE.  We'll keep standard White paint and the inverted Orange paint at the shooting line.  Remember, paint the target surface WHITE first, then apply the ORANGE paint as the final coat.  It is our suggestion to paint the targets after each squad.  The targets on the 300 yard range will remain black.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Ill be there. Have been sick as hell with the new Meds they are feeding me. Havent moved from the couch in two weeks. Ill give a call this week end. Im gonna finish that Match upper too this week I hope.
                                   Frank
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Frank,

I'll be gone until Tuesday.  Got an armorer's class all weekend, and will be out of town on Monday, give me a call on Tuesday.

Hope you get to feeling better

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Can civilians shoot at the ranges on Ft. Carson? If there was some type of sponsored shoot where civilians were welcome I’d be in on it. I miss shooting on a military qualification type range (I was Army, eight years) and my 14 year old son would get a kick out of it too!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Im not sure. But I have a great range I go to thats FREE. Ill ask a friend of mine. I know you have to be E-7 and Range qualified to sign for one here. My friends dont shoot as much as I do so its easier for me to run down to Penrose. I shoot skeet there sometimes for hours. All it costs me is about 6 bucks for a hundred birds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks Bro. I couldnt make that Armorers class. Please pass my apologies. I have gotten off that damn Med. Just about killed me I think. Made me have some aerly Alzheimers too. It was hell on earth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Can civilians shoot at the ranges on Ft. Carson? If there was some type of sponsored shoot where civilians were welcome I’d be in on it. I miss shooting on a military qualification type range (I was Army, eight years) and my 14 year old son would get a kick out of it too!

I've checked on that one before, and you have to be a Military ID Card holder (including Gurards, Reserves, and Dependants).  Contractors, and DOD/DA Civilians can't even get on the POW range.  I had wanted to get a range going with a few friends but after talking to the guys at Range Control, I had to scratch that plan.  They used to let the ID Card holders sponsor civilians but there were some bad apples that spoiled it for everyone else a few years back, so they changed the policy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#26]
i shoot in canyon
royal gorge gun club its a private range
i live in pueblo west, but i work and go to school in springs,
and i hold a retired army ID

are any of you on co-ar15.com  they have monthly shoots
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top