Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 4:14:10 PM EDT
What's the differ ?  Dose the AR-15 work like this?
Once the bullet passes the gas block, the high pressure gases pressurize the cylinder pushing the piston and bolt carrier back, bolt unlocks, carrier continues to move backwards cocking the hammer and ejecting the empty case.
Is the CAR A4 a Carbine ? How dose is work ? I don't want to seem like a dumb $hit , but I really don't know ? Can you explain how ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What's the differ ?  Dose the AR-15 work like this?
Once the bullet passes the gas block, the high pressure gases pressurize the cylinder pushing the piston and bolt carrier back, bolt unlocks, carrier continues to move backwards cocking the hammer and ejecting the empty case.
Is the CAR A4 a Carbine ? How dose is work ? I don't want to seem like a dumb $hit , but I really don't know ? Can you explain how ?

You would be correct if it were a POF or DSA piston upper. The AR-15 does not have a piston. The gasses go into the gas tube and flow down the gas tube until it reaches the gas key located on the bolt carrier. Those gasses push on the gas key to push the carrier assembly back. Basically it uses the gasses in place of a piston. This is what supposidly helps with it's accuracy. You have gasses flowing back instead of a piston (heavy moving part) to throw the accuracy off. This concept at the same time also gives it the rep for "shitting where it eats". If you have shot other guns such as an SKS, FAL, or AK, you will notice the action is clean after many rounds down range. If you fire an AR-15 for a 100rds or so you will notice the bolt carrier and all the internals are dirty. Basically the AR-15 sprays carbon all over your moving parts with each shot.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I get it now , there's no piston ! Great information ! I must do more research in the future . Thanks for your time. h.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top