Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:32:47 PM EDT
I have a possible opportunity to reloate to the Longmont area due to a job transfer...

what are living conditions like in the area? understand that I am currently deep behind enemy line in Masshole land even so I have my FFL (C&R) and MA permit for concealed carry.

Local ranges that shoot IPSC/three gun?

class III friendly areas?

thanks in advance for any help/advice
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
So how long have you been with IBM ? I think the Boulder Rifle Club shoots IPSC - they're in north Boulder, about 150-20 minutes from Longmont (depending on where in town and how fast you drive). It is a class 3 friendly area - gunsmiths Rocky Mountain Arms and I think Iron Ridge both are C3 dealers and Jensens in Loveland (about 20-30 mins north) recently got their class 3 approval. I have yet to take the plunge myself but am thinking seriously about it and hear the Boulder County sheriff is amenable to approvals.

I've only lived in town for the last going-on-seven years but have no desire to move elsewhere.  Like the rest of the state, it's getting a little crowded for my tastes but still nowhere like east coast standards (I'm originally from The Bronx). Just east of Main can be a little sketchy but a lot of upper-scale neighborhoods have gone up on both east and west borders of town. It's a lot more yuppified than it used to be .

Feel free to IM if you want me to blather on some more....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope - Amgen

Thanks for the info - I have been checking out the real estate prices via realtor.com - I could be livin' large out there compared to MA - although job opportunities (if things went south) are non existent in biotech compared with this area. Thats the trade off...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I was a contractor at Amgen for the better part of 2004, I could give you some insight and may even know the people you would be working with/for.

I would not live in Boulder County, YMMV, Berthoud is right up the road and in Larimer County, I actually live in Weld county (Greeley area) and drove in to Amgen every day, about 45-50 Minutes each way.

I also made the drive to Boulder from Greeley for 2+ years.

You could land in Firestone, which would be Weld county and it is just the other side of I-25.

Yes the Biotech world is slim in CO right now, I am actually contracting in NE at a large pharma, and drive back to CO on the weekends.

PM me if I can be any help.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to Longmont, way better than nasty old east coast.
it was 60 degrees and no wind last saturday.  (ok, it was a odd one, but still)
Longont is pretty nice.  I agree, if you are just living in the "area" it's cheaper to live in Weld Co.  but boulder county is pretty.
Jensen's rocks.  you can go right up into the hills in about 20 minutes.  Boulder gun club has some events, but for actually joining it's something like a 15 year wait.
most of the ranges are out east (cheaper land)

Brian

Longmont, CO
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Aurora Gun club in Denver has a 3 gun match every month.   There's also a rifle match in Pueblo every month.  There are pistol matches in Denver, Greeley, Pueblo, Ramah and Clear Creek every month as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
While Boulder is pretty it sucks. I will work there and take their money but I refuse to live in that county. I could give you tons of reasons, but just remember Boulder makes Berkeley look conservative. And the county is almost as bad. Most people I knew at Amgen, both Nelson Rd (Longmont site) and Lake Centre (Boulder site) lived either in Longmont or the surrounding counties.

I do like the dress code there though. As an Amgen FTE you can wear T-shirts and jeans pretty much all the time. It made people there nervous to see a suit.

Of course if you are a NE conservative you might fit right in with the Boulder crowd

let me know if I can help.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
trust me - every Amgen site is pretty much the same when it comes to dress code - t shirts and jeans I did get pretty weirded out at at first - the last biotech (Genzyme) I worked at had a strict dress code for managers - people got tossed out for not wearing the correct clothing no problem now...

Anyway - I am sick of long commutes hence I would live in town for a change. right now I am way out in the woods listening to coyotes going crazy in my back yard! There is no way Boulder can be worse than Cambridge!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome....Iron Ridge Guns is in LongmontIronRidge Guns.  Lots of Class 3 stuff and GREAT gunsmithing.  I also live in Longmont.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I like Longmont, it is as un-Boulder as you can get in Boulder County, I think.  I have not found a good place to go shooting yet, but with the SEBR coming, I need to.  If you want to get out of Boulder County, (I am my next move) The county line is a mile east of town, and not very far north.  

I am looking for a little land for my next place, so that will work out for me.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a possible opportunity to reloate to the Longmont area due to a job transfer...

what are living conditions like in the area? understand that I am currently deep behind enemy line in Masshole land even so I have my FFL (C&R) and MA permit for concealed carry.

Longmont is a good place to live.  I have lived here over 20 years and it is growing and has much to offer.  3 public golf courses, many local pubs and chain places, many food places.  Prices of houses vary from $150K to $1M plus.  If you have kids, check out the school zones and there is a large difference in the quality of schools (as well as the published reports (CSAP's).  Any realtor can help you there.

As for local gun clubs, the Boulder Rifle Club (I am member) has many matches open to the public.  IPSC, three gun match, all steele, defensive pistol, varmit for score, high power, etc.  Matches in the front range are held on most weekends.  

Most counties are Class III friendly (stay away from Denver).  Colorado is a shall issue state for CCW.  Colorado does not have a reciprocal agreement in place with MA for your CCW.  Therefore, you will need to obtain one in Colorado.  My guess is this is a problem with MA since Colorado wrote language in the bill that will honor any other state's CCW as long as they will honor our's.  The Attorney General of Colorado is actually obtaining the agreements in writing for all states that will honor each other's.  MA has not done this.

Good luck on the move.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
what are property taxes like in Longmont? I am looking at new construction in the 400K range.

What is the Colorado state income tax and sales tax rates?

thanks for all your help
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
If you decide to make the move, welcome to longmont!

I currently live in Loveland (10-15) minutes north of longmont but lived in longmont for a few decades.  Its a nice place and definitely growing fast.  Stay away from the peoples republic of boulder and you should be ok ;)

KeithC, i thought of IBM when reading the first post also as i work there.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:06:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Property taxes in CO are not bad, I have a $175K home in Weld county that runs about $1K a year, it might be $1100. Course I still complain about high taxes.

Sales tax is about 7% total in most cities, some hit 8% or so, some are less.

I really would suggest you look to Berthoud, it is a 15 minute drive to Amgen and it is in Larimer County.

I know I bash Boulder and Boulder county a lot, but I have dealt with them for years now and you could not pay me to live there. They have some screwed up laws there, A guy I worked with at Amgen got nailed by one of the BS laws in that county, and now has a DV on his record, no more guns...... I will not go into it due to his privacy, but believe me, it was BS.

BTW, I work in Lincoln, NE right now and their sales tax is pretty much the same, but the Property tax rate is very high, $182K house $3200 year

dave
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
what are property taxes like in Longmont? I am looking at new construction in the 400K range.

thanks for all your help

Property tax can be all over the map, for 400k new constructin in Longmont proper, should be about 2800 or so a year.  (best guess).  new developments are always higher due to extra special districts and such.  any MLS site should tell you teh exact numbers.  (www.realtor.com)

sales tax is like 7.5% or so, the county itself is only like 3.5% (so it pays to live in the county), although unprepared food isn't taxed (or lightly taxed, I forget)

biggest ripoff in colorado is car licensing.
cars older than 10 years are like 40 bucks
other cars are by value and weight, so SUV's can be outrageous.

my 2002 F350 was $600 dollars last year for plates!!!!!!!!!!!!!
only about $300 this year.
Also emissions tests are required.  (even on diesels)
cars coming in from out of state requirea  VIN check (like $5 but it's a pain to take tim off to go get it)

that's all I can think of right now

Brian
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

thanks for all your help

my $0.02
if you can afford a $400K house and are concerned about longevity of the job.. buy an older house they run (depending on area) mid $1-250K. when you buy older you stand less chance of a covenant controlled neighborhood.    and if you had to bail (move) you would be able to take less of a hit resale wise, if it came to that.
nothing personal i have seen it happen a few times. people move in buy the supersized house. one of the income earners looses job or is forced to take a pay cut. then all hell breaks loose.
myself we're from NY ,moved here 22yrs ago. could have purchased way bigger. but we didn't. when i left the first job i took a big initial pay cut. had we "lived large"  we would have lost everything due to income.   with the housing market, the new construction homes are running higher then older homes. the older homes are selling for about $2-5K less then asking price. its a buyers market. you might look at forclosures. some mid-high end places are bank held and they want to get them off their books.

as for CCW co accepts a hunter safety card as proof of training. it's possible (depending on where you move to) the sheriff will honor your CCW in place of having to take a class.

good luck and welcome to colorado
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Jim, you said  - "as for CCW co accepts a hunter safety card as proof of training. it's possible (depending on where you move to) the sheriff will honor your CCW in place of having to take a class."

I was told I had to take the Pistol Training class, since Colorado issues a Concealed Handgun Permit (I am looking at mine now).  Hunters Safety has you fire a .22 rifle, so that would not meet the requirement for the CCW.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#17]
"Documentary evidence demonstrating competence with a handgun as specified in section 18-12-203 (1) (h) of the Colorado Revised Statute. (see TRAINING REQUIREMENTS SECTION for further details)"

From Larimer County Website:
http://www.co.larimer.co.us/depts/sherif/CCW/CSOC_APP_INFO.htm

It specifically states handgun competency.

Just an FYI so you have the info when you go for your CCW.  I am not sure who to get into contact with regarding the class, as my buddy got the info and I had him register me on the phone when he called about the class.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
It specifically states handgun competency.

you might want to give larimer co a call i know they have honored hunter safety cards as "training". so does weld cty.
i had offered a few folks some handgun training. they told me  the sheriff was accepting hunter safety cards as proof of compentency?? which makes no senes to me as except for new hunters.  how long ago did you take a hs class?? and what revelance did it have to actual handgun safety, operation and knowledge??
if they have changed it since CCW went statewide, to make the requirements uniform ,so much the better.
i'm all in favor of curent hands on training then say a HS class that some of us took decades ago.

since Colorado issues a Concealed Handgun Permit

while the CCW is a state wide permit the wording on the permit is not.
our permits say Concealed Weapons Permit. weld cty's always have said that.
the  last one expired in 3 yrs. the new one which finally showed up after a 6 week renewal wait exp in 2011   5yrs!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Jim,

I took the class in August 2005.  The application (PDF downloadable at the link I previously posted) makes no mention of Hunter Safety being acceptab;e proof.  Although it is a state application, and Larimer could be accepting HS as proof.

Our class consisted of putting 27 rounds downrange, then classroom instruction.  Overall, it was not very difficult.  6 hours, without including the lunch break.

I think it was geared towards the folks that think they will be Junior G-Men, as the "cowboys" in our class seemed to think they were going to be able to pull out their guns whenever they felt uncomfortable.

God help us!  I hope my path does not cross with them again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
God help us from a few of the women who took the class who "sprayed" the targets and the burms with ammo
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"Documentary evidence demonstrating competence with a handgun as specified in section 18-12-203 (1) (h):

(h) DEMONSTRATES COMPETENCE WITH A HANDGUN BY SUBMITTING:

(I) EVIDENCE OF EXPERIENCE WITH A FIREARM THROUGH
PARTICIPATION IN ORGANIZED SHOOTING COMPETITIONS OR CURRENT
MILITARY SERVICE;

(II) EVIDENCE THAT, AT THE TIME THE APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED,
THE APPLICANT IS A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR;

(III) PROOF OF HONORABLE DISCHARGE FROM A BRANCH OF THE
UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES WITHIN THE THREE YEARS PRECEDING
SUBMITTAL OF THE APPLICATION;

(IV) PROOF OF HONORABLE DISCHARGE FROM A BRANCH OF THE
UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES THAT REFLECTS PISTOL QUALIFICATIONS
OBTAINED WITHIN THE TEN YEARS PRECEDING SUBMITTAL OF THE
APPLICATION;

(V) A CERTIFICATE SHOWING RETIREMENT FROM A COLORADO LAW
ENFORCEMENT AGENCY THAT REFLECTS PISTOL QUALIFICATIONS OBTAINED
WITHIN THE TEN YEARS PRECEDING SUBMITTAL OF THE APPLICATION; OR

(VI) A TRAINING CERTIFICATE FROM A HANDGUN TRAINING CLASS
OBTAINED WITHIN THE TEN YEARS PRECEDING SUBMITTAL OF THE
APPLICATION. THE APPLICANT SHALL SUBMIT THE ORIGINAL TRAINING
CERTIFICATE OR A PHOTOCOPY THEREOF THAT INCLUDES THE ORIGINAL
SIGNATURE OF THE CLASS INSTRUCTOR. IN OBTAINING A TRAINING
CERTIFICATE FROM A HANDGUN TRAINING CLASS, THE APPLICANT SHALL
HAVE DISCRETION IN SELECTING WHICH HANDGUN TRAINING CLASS TO
COMPLETE.

heron163, email me for the complete law so we can do away with internet folklore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Seriously check out Lyons if you're married, if your single - Loveland or Longmont.  Ive lived in Lyons for 4 years, other than the women that look like this - , its really a great town.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Seriously check out Lyons if you're married, if your single - Loveland or Longmont.  Ive lived in Lyons for 4 years, other than the women that look like this - , its really a great town.

Longmont is no picnic if you are single, unless there are some hot spots I don't know about.  I really like Longmont, except for the lack of single women.  I would suggest Loveland, gts you out of Boulder County, and Ft Collins is a quick drive.  Better night life up there, and not as freaky as Boulder.

Of course, I will take suggestions on places to hit in Longmont.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Of course, I will take suggestions on places to hit in Longmont.  hr

In my 20 some years in longmont, i've come to the realization that these "places" you speak of do not exist
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I am surprised at the number of us right here in Longmont. We should get together some time.

As for the women, well, I brought mine with me, so I don't know anything about the female situation. The usual advice is to get involved in a lot of non-bar activities. Expose yourself, so to speak. It's a numbers game and the more womenz you run into the better chance you will eventually find one you like.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey Lex,

You worked at Amgen didn't you?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
No, not Amgen. I worked in the data storage scene from '87-'93 and then did something else (consumer electronics) after that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Data storage is still pretty big around here. (It is how I pay my bills.)

On a different note, where do you all go shooting around here.  I have my first AR coming soon (SEBR) and need to find a place to fire off some rounds.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#29]
wow. lots of Longmont residents. Also lots of AMGN workers here too.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Myself and FatmanTPK on here are both from the Longmont area and live in Loveland.  We both also work at IBM We go shooting up north of Ft. Collins at a friends property.  Lefthand Canyon (shithole) and Pawnee are the only other places that I know about.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Do you know the exact direction of Lefthand Canyon? thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:45:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Do you know the exact direction of Lefthand Canyon? thanks

If you know where foothills highway is (road between boulder and lyons) its easy to find.  Off of foothills highway, you will go west at the Greenbriar resturaunt (I believe its called Left Hand Canyon road) and just drive up about 15 mins or so.  You will see pulloffs on the side of the road with cars parked there all the time.  You should hear/see people shooting.  Here is a link with some pics and possibly directions: http://hobojeepers.tripod.com/LeftCleanup-Castle03.htm
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks. I live in Longmont as well.

I think it is almost similar distance as St Varains (SP) from my house. Definitely will try Lefthand canyon.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Myself and FatmanTPK on here are both from the Longmont area and live in Loveland.  We both also work at IBM her), Boulder is nice but a little too liberal and overpriced for me.  Right now I live up near Flat Irons Mall in the Louisville/Superior area (good place to shop and easy access to 36).

As far as rifle ranges, or simply places to shoot, I would avoid Left Hand Canyon.  Sketchy people, possibly stoned or drunk, or worse, all shooting there weapons in often times unresponsible ways.  If you do go, take as many people as possible and keep your pistol close hat
my 55 cents.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Myself and FatmanTPK on here are both from the Longmont area and live in Loveland.  We both also work at IBM

Another IBMer here, and I used to live in Longmont for a year and a half.  Not to offend any Longmontians, but I never really liked the town.  Not much to do in it.  Fort Collins is great (great = college women ), Boulder is nice but a little too liberal and overpriced for me.  Right now I live up near Flat Irons Mall in the Louisville/Superior area (good place to shop and easy access to 36).

As far as rifle ranges, or simply places to shoot, I would avoid Left Hand Canyon.  Sketchy people, possibly stoned or drunk, or worse, all shooting there weapons in often times unresponsible ways.  If you do go, take as many people as possible and keep your pistol close .  That sounds really bad, and Im not trying to say the place is a lawless, primal area, but its not the kinda place I would go alone to (especially with a really nice rifle).

my 55 cents.

I agree with you, hence my comments of lefthand being a shithole.  I have had some good times up there but lately its just been a bunch of  kids holding their pistols sideways and acting like fools.  I also agree with longmont not being a place for a single man  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#36]
My God, I had no idea there were so many of us in the Longtucky area.  We need to do a shoot....bad!   I'll start a thread in the hometown later to try to get something together.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#37]
So far I counted about 7 Longmont members. Can someone verify if you are not too busy?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#38]
2 Loveland shooters (Me and deedubb) would be willing to join in on an organized shoot
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#39]
thanks for the tips about the Loveland area
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top