Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:22:05 AM EDT
The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

This basically say that your right to carry a concealed firearm is not guaranteed?

Is this a new addition ( in the last 10-20 years) or has it been there for a while?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I've lived here for the past 15 yrs. I'm under the impression that parts been here long than I have.

My take is it forbids unlicensed carry, but really should be updated to say so.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Please note the word "herein."  That refers to the previouse passage not all laws for all time in Colorado.

So, if the legislature wants to authorize concealed carry, that's a ok.

IIRC that phrase has been there since 1876.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  

I was thinking it was a "escape clause" phrase that if they wanted  to, repeal the CCW law.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been there all along.  Concealed carry used to be considered cowardly and only criminals up to no good or sneaky sidewinders who would shoot you in the back used to carry concealed.  That's before we became "civilized" of course...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top