Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2022 5:53:44 PM EDT
I was on another forum and I was wondering what is the requirements of the FFL receive the frame/receiver and engrave it with FFL #/Serial #?

What I'm wondering is if there is a loophole where an C&R FFL can receive a frame/receiver and engrave the required information (his C&R FFL #) into it?
Looking at the new section of bill 1705, it states:

22 NEW SECTION. Sec. 6. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW
to read as follows:23
24 (1) A federal firearms dealer or other federal licensee
25 authorized to provide marking services for firearms may imprint a
26 firearm or unfinished frame or receiver with a serial number.
27 (2) The firearm or unfinished frame or receiver shall be
28 imprinted with the licensee's abbreviated federal firearms license
29 number as a prefix (which is the first three and last five digits)
30 followed by a hyphen, and then followed by a number as a suffix,
31 e.g., "12345678-(number)." The serial number must be placed in a
32 manner that accords with the requirements under federal law for
33 affixing serial numbers to firearms, including the requirements that
34 the serial number be at the minimum size and depth, and not
35 susceptible to being readily obliterated, altered, or removed.
View Quote

Can "other federal licensee authorized" be a C&R licensed FFL for the WA bill?  Possible loophole?

Not sure how it will look on the Federal/ATF level bill though since I haven't looked closely at that yet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good to me. I’ve been meaning to get a C&R license.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe if it's made from 50 year old plastic or aluminum block.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe if it's made from 50 year old plastic or aluminum block.
View Quote

FYI: A block is not a firearm.

I'm talking about 80% frame/receivers. I don't believe with the new law they don't need to be background checked, just engraved by the FFL, and the information recorded.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
State law doesn't match up with federal law yet with regard to engravings and who can do them (as of right now it's only 07s that can do it I believe, since WA defers to federal rules). The latest proposed rules from the ATF reconciles it somewhat so that 01 FFLs can do serial markings along with 07s but I don't believe that'll include C&R licensees. I'm still waiting to see if either the state or ATF rules will require me to log the newly serialized guns merely as gunsmithing or if I have to add them to my manufacturing books / AFMER records. If I just log it in/out of books as smithing and note the new serial and don't have to do transfers / 4473s back to owner then I'll start offering laser engraving with my fiber laser setup, but if I have to run them through the manufacturing process / books and do a transfer back then it's probably not worth the hassle to offer the service.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
That law is asinine. If it's a type 07 FFL, they are a manufacturer and that is not how most would ever do their serial numbers. Are they going to force Aero tp change the way they do their serial numbers? Idiots making laws on things they have no clue about. Morons, just plain morons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed, as an 07 I can do serials in just about whatever format I feel like. Except with these home builds that now have to be marked a specific way. Oh, and that number can't match ANY that has ever been used before by anyone, even though there's no way of checking records other than my own .
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Or: fuck them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy you 80% stuff now and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Agreed, as an 07 I can do serials in just about whatever format I feel like. Except with these home builds that now have to be marked a specific way. Oh, and that number can't match ANY that has ever been used before by anyone, even though there's no way of checking records other than my own .
View Quote

At this point you might as well just "buy" the unfinished lower from the person, manufacture it yourself with your own format, and sell it back.

The two main reasons people did 80% are now gone. You certainly aren't saving any money paying someone to engrave it. The third, that it's a cool thing to do just because, but it's going to cost.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]
So can I get someone to help me with getting serials engraved on this?

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So can I get someone to help me with getting serials engraved on this?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71K71rwp4aL._SX522_.jpg
View Quote

It depends, is that Prusament PC blend CF? ??
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm talking about 80% frame/receivers. I don't believe with the new law they don't need to be background checked, just engraved by the FFL, and the information recorded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What requirement is there for recording anything?  It is not federally a firearm so those requirements are not applicable.

Quoted:

I do not see anything in this law that requires using different numbers other than the required FFL numbers as these are not firearms.  What would prevent a manufacture from making 80% with all the same number?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, so everyone make their serial 123456, and the whole things becomes a giant waste of time and money for the state.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#14]
The ffl has to put there FFL number in as part of the SN so that would not work.  But also what if you put the number on the top of the fire control pocket of an 80% AR.  If it is not a firearm so the SN can be defaced.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What requirement is there for recording anything?  It is not federally a firearm so those requirements are not applicable.

I do not see anything in this law that requires using different numbers other than the required FFL numbers as these are not firearms.  What would prevent a manufacture from making 80% with all the same number?
View Quote

Washington state has required the serialization be recorded. Each serial # has to be different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top