Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2021 10:18:38 PM EDT
Howdy! Coming up to Seattle for a few days for a work trip. I’ve never been to WA, but I have a majority of Sunday to look around. I’ll be staying down by union square.

I like beer - are there some good breweries worth trying in that area?
Food - as long as it’s dead and cooked, I’m game. Not huge on seafood but I’ll give it a go.
Coffee - any worthwhile coffee shops in that area? Wife might make me get a lb or so.

I’ll likely be on foot or taking an Uber depending on what’s worth seeing. If anyone wants to link up for a beer, I’m game!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a blast

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of us avoid Seattle....just saying.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Say hello to all of the urban campers you meet. They are a diverse and gregarious bunch.

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't set foot in Seattle, or even drive through it to/from the ferry, unless I was enthusiastically armed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it's going to be a hell of a visit.  Denver 2.0 here I come
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure all your shots are current, especially tetanus, diphtheria, and cholera.  Ah, the emerald city.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Sadly, where you are staying is prime central for the drug addict homeless situation. I can't honestly recommend any place around there. Ballard or Fremont is a better bet for what you want. Take a tums before you leave so you can stomach the leftiness.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like my company picked a hell of an area for an office.

So since I’ll now be getting everything delivered to me, are there any breweries or restaurants you all would recommend?

Love me some IPAs, porters, and Irish reds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Pike Pub was one of my favorite spots down that way, 10 years ago when my wife and I were first dating. No idea if they've survived the steep decline of downtown, with COVID on top of that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Watch where you step. Needles everywhere
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
About 15 blocks south, it appears from a quick map look, is the International District.
That's what the wipeepole call it. The Chinese people call it China Town. Some great restaurants.
House of Hong and Harbor City are our regular to go places. Be aware that this is not your midwest typical Chinese style buffet.

Ivars is a pretty popular place for Clam Chowder with tourists over near Pier 54.

Museums:
Museum of History and Industry will be near Lake Union. (Some great seafood places are adjacent)
Museum of Flight near Boeing Field
Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s way, way, way worse than Denver.... and the needles comment above mine isn’t sarcasm unfortunately.

I’d rent a car and get the f out of the shithole city and had to the eastside (Bellevue) for some eats and walking around with minimal needles And bums, nice park next to Bellevue Square mall and plenty of places in walking distance of the mall, both in “new” Bellevue and old Bellevue, don’t worry, park at the mall and it’s all doable in foot, just go INTO the mall first and exit the other side so the undercover parking gestapo don’t have you towed, happened to quite a few of us over the years.

There’s also another option, head up north 15 miles to downtown Edmonds.  Nice safe area to walk around next to the water, decent Thai place and good Italian place there (Girardi’s Osteria)
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty similar to Denver, whereas Portland is like Detroit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Also on the eastside is Woodinville, where they have over 100 wineries/breweries/distilleries there.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Seattle used to be a fun place to hang out....used to be. We do have a fantastic needle exchange program.  You don't even have to turn in your dirty ones anymore to get a fresh box of 100 clean ones, right out of a tax funded van!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Red Hook brewery? Think that's up north though.

Downtown is a shit hole, avoid 3rd Ave.

A lot of restaurants/bars up in Capitol Hill.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#18]
You got good advice in this short thread.

I would go with the bellvue model myself- I wouldn't even stay downtown. Armed.

I promise you if you stay a week you will see a needle and you will see someone deficate on the sidewalk. It's sad, but that's the reality.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

There used to be a large Redhook brewery in Woodinville, but they moved out.  Which surprised me, I liked Redhook beer and thought it was doing okay.  It was a great place to visit, had outdoor seating/eating and was next to the bicycle path along the river.

Many years ago I took my Dad to the original Redhook brewery in the Fremont Trolley Barn before they moved to Woodinville.  I was impressed when they handed you a beer at the *beginning* of the tour.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Also on the eastside is Woodinville, where they have over 100 wineries/breweries/distilleries there.

View Quote

This. Maryhill Winery in the Hollywood Schoolhouse is a gem. Purple and Vivi Pizzeria are among our favorite eats.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There used to be a large Redhook brewery in Woodinville, but they moved out.  Which surprised me, I liked Redhook beer and thought it was doing okay.  It was a great place to visit, had outdoor seating/eating and was next to the bicycle path along the river.

Many years ago I took my Dad to the original Redhook brewery in the Fremont Trolley Barn before they moved to Woodinville.  I was impressed when they handed you a beer at the *beginning* of the tour.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rainier used to give you one or two at the end of the tour.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I hit that a few times when I was unemployed.  :)
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last time I went to the Rainier brewery, the guide left to do something, and these two Russian dudes went behind the counter and started filling up our glasses with beer. We drank as fast as we could the Russians kept filling up the glasses.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I made it!  So far.  

I'm staying around 6th Ave.  Walked down to the Market on Sunday, and holy shit crowded.  Stopped by Seattle Beer Co, Pike Place Brewing, and walked down to the ferris wheel and aquarium.  Sunday was an "ok" day to hit the Target downtown.  

I flew in on short notice, so was not armed unfortunately aside from a stiff company pen.  10/10 would not visit without being enthusiastically armed ever again.  

I thought Denver was bad, but the feel around here is much different.  I walked to Target last night after getting off work, and you could not pay me to do that again.  
Everyone I've spoken to in my office had an air about them.  It's a more liberal company but all the employees from the founder down have told me I came when Seattle was at it's worst.  None of them had anything good to say about it being a sanctuary city.  

Thursday morning is my last chance to see anything.  The wife wants me to trudge through the excrement to go see the Space Needle.  We will see.  Meeting up with an old soldier of mine at the airport who happens to be flying out the same day.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#25]
The space needle is kinda meh.  Pay too much to go up high and look out.... wow.

Consider this: Walk down to Pike Place Market- there's a shop in one of the buildings that faces the market that has mac&cheese to die for.  Then walk down the hill to the ferry terminal and get on the Bremerton or Bainbridge ferry.  That'll take you out on the water and give you a view of the city that will momentarily make you forget it's a craphole.  It's a few bucks to walk on, then when you get to the other side it's free to come back.  The weather should be great.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The space needle is kinda meh.  Pay too much to go up high and look out.... wow.

Consider this: Walk down to Pike Place Market- there's a shop in one of the buildings that faces the market that has mac&cheese to die for.  Then walk down the hill to the ferry terminal and get on the Bremerton or Bainbridge ferry.  That'll take you out on the water and give you a view of the city that will momentarily make you forget it's a craphole.  It's a few bucks to walk on, then when you get to the other side it's free to come back.  The weather should be great.
View Quote

I can’t comment on the mac’n’cheese, but I agree that on a beautiful day a ferry ride will beat the Space Needle hands down.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:06:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There used to be a large Redhook brewery in Woodinvill
View Quote

Redhook? A Seattle beer?  
Holy fuck, you guys been living under a rock?
Redhook was sold to Craft Brew out of Portland, OR in 2008.
Craft Brew was sold to Anheuser-Busch InBev in 2020.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#28]
You could make the short walk to Westlake and then ride the Monorail to the Seattle Center and Space Needle. Or is it full of excrement, needles and disease, too?

The idea of the open air ferry is sounding better and better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top