Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2021 4:27:37 PM EDT
I was talking with some friends about 3D printers and firearms. We were wondering what are the current WA laws about 3D printing receivers. I know back in 2018 they had done something about banning ghost guns like the 3D liberator firearm but I wasn't sure if that covered things from a AR15 lower to V61 lower since they still used actual firearm parts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer

RCW 9.41.010 but I think it comes down to how a firearms is defined.  

(11) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder. "Firearm" does not include a flare gun or other pyrotechnic visual distress signaling device, or a powder-actuated tool or other device designed solely to be used for construction purposes.
View Quote

To me, the way the statute is written, it seems to encompass the entire firearm, not just a receiver.

From there you have to look at the definition of an undetectable firearm.  

(33) "Undetectable firearm" means any firearm that is not as detectable as 3.7 ounces of 17-4 PH stainless steel by walk-through metal detectors or magnetometers commonly used at airports or any firearm where the barrel, the slide or cylinder, or the frame or receiver of the firearm would not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the part when examined by the types of X-ray machines commonly used at airports.
View Quote

RCW 9.41.190makes it illegal to manufacture or otherwise possess and RCW 9.41.220 makes undetectable firearms contraband.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a lawyer

RCW 9.41.010 but I think it comes down to how a firearms is defined.  

To me, the way the statute is written, it seems to encompass the entire firearm, not just a receiver.

From there you have to look at the definition of an undetectable firearm.  

RCW 9.41.190makes it illegal to manufacture or otherwise possess and RCW 9.41.220 makes undetectable firearms contraband.

View Quote

So based on the total firearm is still detectable by a metal detector, and the parts are visually detectable in a X-Ray machine as a firearm part makes it legal based on the wording?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
This where I hate lawyers. Would they say a P80 Glock is undetectable? There is a difference between undetectable and untraceable. It's virtually identical to an OEM Glock. How would they test it? 100% complete? Slide removed? FCG removed? Fully stripped to the frame? If it's fully stripped then it seems like a polymer gun is contraband. The metal serial number plate is not 3.7 oz.

How would they test an AR lower? 100% complete with upper and lower? Lower only? FCG removed or installed?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought all this only applied if you intended to sell the gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought all this only applied if you intended to sell the gun.
View Quote

If it was only dealing with intention to sell, then 3D printing wouldn't be such a big issue as it is.
At one point even 80% lowers sellers wouldn't ship to WA back in 2018.  I think some still won't.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m not a lawyer, this isn’t legal advice, I didn’t even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

3D printing a firearm is currently legal.  No different than any other form of manufacturing a firearm.

Manufacturing them for sale requires an FFL, but you can make what you want.

Little Bobby Ferguson would love to make 3d CAD firearm files illegal, but he’ll have to go against precedent from the PGP Supreme Court case.  That claimed that code is covered by free speech.

YMMV

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I was reading HB1739 a little more closely and the section about Untraceable firearms since Undetectable firearms doesn't seem to be an issue.

26 (34) "Untraceable firearm" means any firearm manufactured after
27 July 1, 2019, that is not an antique firearm and that cannot be
28 traced by law enforcement by means of a serial number affixed to the
29 firearm by a federally licensed manufacturer or importer.

But fortunately that has a statement deals with intent to sell:
23 (d) Manufacture an untraceable firearm with the intent to sell
24 the untraceable firearm.

So looks like as long as it doesn't meet those 2 criterias unless I'm missing something.

(Legal gargen: I am not nor pose as a lawyer. I neither support nor don't support building of firearms.)
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
My understanding from a plain-english perspective is that as long as you are not a prohibited person and you are not making it with intent to sell, a WA resident can still legally make an "untraceable" firearm.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This where I hate lawyers. Would they say a P80 Glock is undetectable? There is a difference between undetectable and untraceable. It's virtually identical to an OEM Glock. How would they test it? 100% complete? Slide removed? FCG removed? Fully stripped to the frame? If it's fully stripped then it seems like a polymer gun is contraband. The metal serial number plate is not 3.7 oz.

How would they test an AR lower? 100% complete with upper and lower? Lower only? FCG removed or installed?
View Quote

Exactly. if you if you completely strip an oem glock frame, I don't think there is 3.7 ounces of metal.

I recently ordered an unfinished P80 from an ffl, here in WA.  I asked if there were any issues  with completing a P80 lower.  They said no.  I've seen completed P80s for sale at a store in eastern Wa
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My understanding from a plain-english perspective is that as long as you are not a prohibited person and you are not making it with intent to sell, a WA resident can still legally make an "untraceable" firearm.

Rob
View Quote

My reading as well
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Exactly. if you if you completely strip an oem glock frame, I don't think there is 3.7 ounces of metal.

I recently ordered an unfinished P80 from an ffl, here in WA.  I asked if there were any issues  with completing a P80 lower.  They said no.  I've seen completed P80s for sale at a store in eastern Wa
View Quote

The frame is not a firearm.. Once adding the barrel it would increase the weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top