Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2015 9:17:01 PM EDT
Im thinking of having a buying a firearm out of state and transfering it to my FFL here in WA. Can I avoid sales tax if I show my FFL the original sales receipt from the original owner of the firearm?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer: No

Long answer: No
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#4]
So I take it that if I purchase a firearm out of state from a non FFL, I dont have to pay tax?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I take it that if I purchase a firearm out of state from a non FFL, I dont have to pay tax?
View Quote

Correct. Just make sure they ship it themselves and don't have an ffl do it. Also make sure your receiving ffl accepts transfers from non licensees.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not exactly. You still owe the Use Tax, but the FFL doesn't have to collect it on your behalf if the transfer is between non-licensees. Your supposed to download a form and mail in the tax (honor system).  But nobody does that except businesses likely to get audited by the DOR.  

But as Scorpio pointed out, it can't be shipped from the seller's FFL, he has to ship it himself.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
So I just called my FFL and they said they will still have to collect sales tax no matter if its from another FFL or non-FFL person
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
All FFLs say that. I doubt you will find one that won't charge you the tax even if it's from a non-licensee. At least I've not found one yet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All FFLs say that. I doubt you will find one that won't charge you the tax even if it's from a non-licensee. At least I've not found one yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
So I just called my FFL and they said they will still have to collect sales tax no matter if its from another FFL or non-FFL person

Send them the WADOR special notice. Then remember it is their prerogative to run their business however they want, so be respectful and move on...You might even change one of their minds if your not to careful....
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I remember:

If you buy from a private party out of state, then the tax will be charged based on purchase price.

If the firearm is a gift from someone out of state, then the tax will be based off the blue book value

If the firearm is part of a will or estate, with official documentation, then no tax will be charged

If the firearm is purchased from a retailer, then tax will be charged based on invoice

If you paid sales tax to another state when you purchased, then you will get charged for the difference based on tax rates. For example, if you paid 5% in another state, then the FFL in Seattle would charge you 4.5% tax.

Pretty much, there isn't a way to get around it other than transporting it yourself into the state. At that point, it is up to you to pay the state use tax.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
FFL to FFL tax will be collected.   individual to FFL tax should be not collected as it a private party transfer.  does not matter if its in state or out.  its all set in the 594 law. Pantels web site has a page about it
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FFL to FFL tax will be collected.   individual to FFL tax should be not collected as it a private party transfer.  does not matter if its in state or out.  its all set in the 594 law. Pantels web site has a page about it
View Quote

I did a private party transfer at Pantels not too long ago and I don't recall any tax being paid at the time of the sale.  It went very smoothly.  If you are anywhere near Renton, give them a shot.  Inexpensive transfers and they seem like pretty cool guys.  The only other time I was in there they made me a good quality custom belt while I waited and charged me a very fair price for it.

The document KA3B posted a link to explains the state "use tax" and how it applies to firearms pretty clearly in simple language, and is straight from the State Dept. of Revenue.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
If your FFL is demanding tax paid on an out-of-state individual direct ship to your dealer transfer, find another FFL!  Too many numb nuts who don't know the law.  It's up to you to pay the use
tax, not them.

Alternatively if the gun being transferred is a long gun, find a dealer in neighboring Oregon who will accept and transfer it to you tax free.

Too many people on this board who willfully bow down to our liberal govt. & pay taxes they may not have to.  Seattle would be proud of you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I5 Guns in Lacey doesn't. The state even sent every dealer a letter saying we don't have to collect it because of the wording of I594. The state is probably ok with dealers collecting it and sending it i  though as that way the state for sure gets the mo ey from us for the privilege of using our own damn property. And yes, in one of the many pages of bs the state has describing and defi ing use tax, one of them actually uses the word privilege. That really pisses me off.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:21:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor does not collect the tax unless it's coming from an FFL.
They even refunded me the tax that they mistakenly charged me on my last out of state private party firearm transaction.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:06:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't collect the use tax as long as the inbound shipment meets the requirements. I log all "non-licensee to non-licensee" transfers in a separate book to make an audit easier to get through.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#18]
AFAIK, the only legit way around the &*(%ing "use tax" is to trade a gun for a different gun.

I have no idea why anyone is charging a use tax for a gift....the thing already got taxed when the gifter bought it. Hello double taxation.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Huh, so Gator's Custom Guns in Kelso screwed up when they didn't charge me tax because my M1 Garand came from a C&R FFL? Or is a C&R FFL treated as an individual?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Washington can be ruthless when it comes to tax, back when I lived there, we used to go to OR to purchase our smokes to avoid all of the taxes that Washington charges and a buddy of mine was stopped with 10 cartons in the back seat of his car, just after he left Jantzen Beach Safeways and he ended up loosing his smokes and spent 5 months in the county click for tax evasion, so be careful.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Considering that the legal method, AFAIK, of paying sales tax in such a situation is to buy the stuff in OR and then fill out a form and pay the tax to WA, how did they bust him for tax evasion? Not like the tax has to be paid before you drive home. Did he admit to dodging sales tax or...?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Considering that the legal method, AFAIK, of paying sales tax in such a situation is to buy the stuff in OR and then fill out a form and pay the tax to WA, how did they bust him for tax evasion? Not like the tax has to be paid before you drive home. Did he admit to dodging sales tax or...?

View Quote

He was on the Washington side of the I5 bridge, not that I am saying it was right, but I am saying it happened, I was born and raised in that communist state and have watch many unfair things happen in the last 50+ years!  I am really glad I live in Montana now!  And after the passing of my Dad in October, I no longer have a reason to visit!
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess it wasn't for avoiding the tax. It was probably for moving more cartons than the .gov considers "personal use." He was probably charged with bootlegging cigarettes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My guess it wasn't for avoiding the tax. It was probably for moving more cartons than the .gov considers "personal use." He was probably charged with bootlegging cigarettes.
View Quote

That would make much more sense...

And Guck the Fovernment.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#25]
WA FFLs do get audited for Use Tax payments.  They are expected to collect it on interstate firearm transfers, however there are some exclusions.  
It really sucks, but it is what it is.

If you find a dealer that doesn't charge you Use Tax.. it's their problem if something occurs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top