Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2013 7:42:40 PM EDT
Now that work is starting to calm down a bit and have a full crew again I can start looking at round 4 on the AK builds.
My kits are done and it doesn't look like I will be getting a PSL kit anytime soon, so I'll be there to shoot the shit (pun intended) and help where needed.
Nothing set in stone yet but looking at doing something with in the next few weeks with a focus on finishes.
Any interest?

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested but I know exactly jack shit about AK's other than I want one.  Preferably 5.45 with a side folding stock.  Where should I look for a kit?  Brand?  Country?  Should I get a couple of flats or should I buy a bent receiver?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Anywhere near Puyallup?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested but I know exactly jack shit about AK's other than I want one.  Preferably 5.45 with a side folding stock.  Where should I look for a kit?  Brand?  Country?  Should I get a couple of flats or should I buy a bent receiver?
View Quote

Most of what I see out there in the 5.45x39 are Bulgarian 74. Atlantic Firearms has a matching Bulgarian AK 74 parts kit w/acc 325 and a Barrel that should work for 140. Only parts left to get would be the rivets, receiver, trigger group, grip and piston (to be 922 complaint)

Unless your going to build more AK's best to go with a prebent receiver like the NDS-2SF with plate (2/3's down the page) for 110.

With the more common kits coming with or using virgin barrels you will need to get or locate a set of headspace gauges.
Not to discourage you but expect to shell out 6 to 7 bills to build one but the benefits are having the pride of saying "I built that" and knowing it inside out.

Please note,
I'm not endorsing any parts suppliers listed, just providing samples of what I was able to find in 5min of googling.
Regardless what others say, I'm not an expert on the AK platform "but I did stay at a Holiday Inn"
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anywhere near Puyallup?
View Quote

A little south of Puyallup
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
STILL interested.    Do we have a date we're looking at?  Maybe a Saturday in early August?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
STILL interested.    Do we have a date we're looking at?  Maybe a Saturday in early August?
View Quote

Waiting to get confirmation but as of today would be the 10th at the earliest
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I will be looking at moving out of state shortly thereafter; might be able to do some finishing but might also just have to pack it all up and take up with ARFcommers down there. I will be watching and keeping tabs...
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to back out of the last one due to an emergency, but I would really like to make the next meeting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I can bring both MIG and arc welders (MIG is gasless flux core 110v, arc is 220 and would need electrodes), drill press, and a BFH.  Also a Dremel, if need be.

I'm hoping to get a 5.45 Bulgy triangle sidefolder kit built on bare a NDS receiver.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I need to get those barrel pins ordered to adjust the headspace for that one rifle.  Otherwise I'm at the heat treating stage for both.  Perhaps some dura-coating or something too.  10-11 Aug won't work for me, but after that I'm good until first weekend of Sep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top