Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2011 1:15:26 AM EDT
MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE STRIKES JAPAN, MASSIVE TSUNAMI DAMAGE! TSUNAMI WARNINGS FOR ENTIRE PASIFIC RING; http://www.foxnews.com/ , http://interactive.foxnews.com/livestream/live.html?chanId=4
PLEASE PASS THIS AROUND IN CASE YOU HAVE FAMILY/FRIENDS OR HUNTERS IN THESE COASTAL AREAS!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it too early to start looting?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
My aunt is in Japan right now, and my uncle and cousin are on Guam. I have been up all night, but sounds like everything is ok so far.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I bugged out, no waves at all in moclips, what a bust.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Aberdeen is still here, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Fox news reports 4 swept out to seain Crescent City....at least one possible death...?

ETA: USCG searching for missing person taking pictures of tsunami

Hawaii seems to have gotten buy fairly well...

On a side note on Hawaii, Five-O the new TV show just had recently done a episode on a false tsunami warning in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Sianara

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Surf's up! I'm heading for Neah Bay.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Brookings, OR also hit
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Fox news reports 4 swept out to seain Crescent City....at least one possible death...?

They had like a 10 hour warning.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Charlie don't surf!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Charlie don't surf!
It would be ironic if the photg's name was Charlie.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Projected radiation path of fallout if the Japanese reactor melts down.

Great.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
This could be worse than when we all almost died after Chernobyl.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

This could be worse than when we all almost died after Chernobyl.

I'll assume that's sarcasm but the reality is, the Chernobyl event was much farther away from the Pacific Northwest and prevailing winds spread the radioactivity over parts of Europe, not the American continent.

Hopefully, it will be contained. If not, I hear Florida is nice this time of year.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#17]
So it could be worse than when Europe almost died after Chernobyl or the population of the eastern US was decimated by Three Mile Island.

Yes, that is sarcasm and yes, I obviously do not believe that we have anything to worry about at this point.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
It may be contained and cause zero health effects or it may be catastrophically damaged and cause mass fatalities.

Time will tell. The 3 mile island and Chernobyl events will not determine the magnitude of this event.

Let's hope for the best.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Projected radiation path of fallout if the Japanese reactor melts down.

Great.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/bulletbob223/Japfallout.jpg

meh...It's not like you have to worry about your hair falling out..........
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

meh...It's not like you have to worry about your hair falling out..........

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
So there is a chance that we could all become mutated, disfigured, grotesque, while losing all of our hair and then 99% of our brain cells. Crap- Were gonna turn into the Texas of the North.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone heard anything from the Japan Hometown Forum?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So it could be worse than when Europe almost died after Chernobyl

New data, based on Belarus national cancer statistics, predicts approximately 270,000 cancers and 93,000 fatal cancer cases caused by Chernobyl. The report also concludes that on the basis of demographic data, during the last 15 years, 60,000 people have additionally died in Russia because of the Chernobyl accident, and estimates of the total death toll for the Ukraine and Belarus could reach another 140,000.

Drawing on some 5,000 studies, three Russian scientists have placed the ultimate death toll at 985,000.

Radiation is bad, Mkay?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Radiation is bad, Mkay?

I don't think anyone is disputing that. But we are what, 4,000 miles away? I'd be more worried about living in Pasco. And the map this discussion has been based on has been deconstructed and dismissed as BS in several threads elsewhere in the forums anyhow.

The nearly million fatality estimate for Chernobyl seems overly alarmist as well. But yeah, Florida is probably pretty nice this time of year for those worried about such a minor to non-existent threat..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Pretty sure you guys have heard about the Reagan winding up in the plume of radiation from the nuclear power plant. heres what the skipper of the ship has put out about it...

From USS Ronald Reagan Commanding Officer:

Family & Friends of USS Ronald Reagan:

I want to take this opportunity to personally assure you that first
and foremost all personnel aboard the USS Ronald Reagan are safe and healthy.

During our mission to assist our close allies of Japan, we were operating near the radioactive plume from Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant.  As you may have already heard, radioactivity was detected on 17 personnel from our ship, however, we promptly took the proper precautions and the radioactivity was easily removed by using soap and water. The levels that were detected were very low levels.
To put this into perspective, the maximum radiation dose received was equal to the amount of natural background radiation one would receive in one month from sources such as rocks, soil and the sun.

Ronald Reagan has since repositioned away from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant.

As a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, we have extensive technical expertise onboard to properly monitor such types of risks, and if necessary, rapidly resolve the situation.

We have taken all the necessary precautions to ensure that everyone is safe. We have closely monitored spaces, evaluated everyone who has flown or worked on the flight deck and cleaned the aircraft.

I have not seen any levels of radiation or contamination that would cause me to have any significant concerns at all.

As we continue to assist Japan in this terrible catastrophe, our Sailor’s—and your loved ones’—safety will remain at the top of my priority list.

Capt. Thom Burke

My personal thoughts... They are either overreacting with all the current precautions (decontaminating the aircraft with all clothing worn to be discarded overboard, personnel decontamination stations, flightdeck secured and all hatches guarded, dosimeters and gysemeters) or not telling everything. All this had to happen when I was just gonna get off the ship, now I am stuck here longer. it is what it is I guess.

BTW This is not classified information
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pretty sure you guys have heard about the Reagan winding up in the plume of radiation from the nuclear power plant. heres what the skipper of the ship has put out about it...

From USS Ronald Reagan Commanding Officer:

Family & Friends of USS Ronald Reagan:

I want to take this opportunity to personally assure you that first
and foremost all personnel aboard the USS Ronald Reagan are safe and healthy.

During our mission to assist our close allies of Japan, we were operating near the radioactive plume from Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant.  As you may have already heard, radioactivity was detected on 17 personnel from our ship, however, we promptly took the proper precautions and the radioactivity was easily removed by using soap and water. The levels that were detected were very low levels.
To put this into perspective, the maximum radiation dose received was equal to the amount of natural background radiation one would receive in one month from sources such as rocks, soil and the sun.

Ronald Reagan has since repositioned away from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant.

As a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, we have extensive technical expertise onboard to properly monitor such types of risks, and if necessary, rapidly resolve the situation.

We have taken all the necessary precautions to ensure that everyone is safe. We have closely monitored spaces, evaluated everyone who has flown or worked on the flight deck and cleaned the aircraft.

I have not seen any levels of radiation or contamination that would cause me to have any significant concerns at all.

As we continue to assist Japan in this terrible catastrophe, our Sailor’s—and your loved ones’—safety will remain at the top of my priority list.

Capt. Thom Burke

My personal thoughts... They are either overreacting with all the current precautions (decontaminating the aircraft with all clothing worn to be discarded overboard, personnel decontamination stations, flightdeck secured and all hatches guarded, dosimeters and gysemeters) or not telling everything. All this had to happen when I was just gonna get off the ship, now I am stuck here longer. it is what it is I guess.

BTW This is not classified information

Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, do you mean they're just tossing the stuff into the sea?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#28]
What else are they going to do with it?  Wash it with all the other Navy Blues?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder what the Commanding Officer meant by "no SIGNIFICANT (my capitalization) concerns whatsoever" as opposed to "no concerns whatsoever"?  I guess that means he had some concerns about the issue.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#30]
yes contaminated gear is being tossed overboard, then it is "diluted in the ocean" and no longer a threat. As far as the concerns about the radiation, there is concern, but it isnt in "high enough doses" to warrant any serious concern, they are taking every step possible to prevent anything worse from happening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top