Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 8:52:50 AM EDT
It's with a very very heavy heart I have to post this, but I need to find a good home for my two dogs.  With a 15 month old roaming the house, and another on the way, we are quickly out growing our home.  We also haven't had the time we used to have to devote to them and they have become neglected in the attention department.  I would like to keep them together as they have been raised together, but it's not a requirement.

Does anyone have room or know of a local resource to help find homes for dogs?

Some info on them (and a picture):
Turi (the black one)- German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix, female, 4.5 y/o, great with kids.
Jameson (the brown one) - Blue Healer (Australian cattle dog)/ Rottweiler mix (although we think Shar Pei, not Rott), male, just under 5 y/o, not so great with kids (he's actually scared of them and runs away from my son and the vacuum).

Both were adopted (rescued) as pups, are medium sized (about 55-60 pounds), house broken, and are great at home all day.  They are both fixed and micro chipped.  They understand basic commands, sit, stay, shake, Jameson understands "come" a lot better.  Turi knows it, but is sometimes stubborn.  Shots are up to date and I just sent a check for their reregistration.  They both have a ton of energy and are great watch dogs.  They also have lifetime training through Bark Busters, which transfers with each dog.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear you have to get rid of the dogs.  You may want to check with your local Petco or PetSmart.  They are both tied in with the local adoption agencies and will help you find a home.

Congrats on the new little one.  

Still not it!

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Man...I'd adopt Jameson  in a heartbeat, but, I am at my animal & pet threshold.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Man...I'd adopt Jameson  in a heartbeat, but, I am at my animal & pet threshold.

He could bring him to pig shoot...You never know...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry you have to get rid of the pups.

Congrats on #2!

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry you have to get rid of the pups.

Congrats on #2!

But , I understand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
This won't be popular but, can you rethink this? Dogs are a lifetime committment that bond to their family (pack).

Not something to be discarded when they become "inconvienent". Everyone should know that going into it.

I had $300 to my name when I moved here in 1991. My two female Siberians came with me and never missed a meal.

They lived another happy 10 years. My live in GF pissed and moaned but I told her to STFU or GTFO. I was supporting her also.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I would love to take them in. But my place is full already.

Sorry man.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This won't be popular but, can you rethink this? Dogs are a lifetime committment that bond to their family (pack).
Not something to be discarded when they become "inconvienent". Everyone should know that going into it.
I had $300 to my name when I moved here in 1991. My two female Siberians came with me and never missed a meal.
They lived another happy 10 years. My live in GF pissed and moaned but I told her to STFU or GTFO. I was supporting her also.

Unfortunately, no.  My wife and I have discussed this for the last two months, and more so in the last two weeks, this is not something we've taken lightly.  This also isn't a cost issue, they are well fed and well loved, our lives have changed more then we ever imagined.  We adopted the dogs before we were married and before any children were in the plans.  The life they (the dogs) are currently living is not fair to them.  They need attention and excercise and we are not giving that to them.  This is as much for them and their well being as it is for us.  We have every intention of keeping them until a proper home is found, we are not just dumping them off at the humane society or PAWS.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Sadly, they won't fit in the spam can. But, maybe I could train them to pull it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, no. My wife and I have discussed this for the last two months, and more so in the last two weeks, this is not something we've taken lightly. This also isn't a cost issue, they are well fed and well loved, our lives have changed more then we ever imagined. We adopted the dogs before we were married and before any children were in the plans. The life they (the dogs) are currently living is not fair to them. They need attention and excercise and we are not giving that to them. This is as much for them and their well being as it is for us. We have every intention of keeping them until a proper home is found, we are not just dumping them off at the humane society or PAWS.

Understood. I wasn't trying to be a dick but there was no way for that to come off totally nice. I would just really like to see you keep them. With the info provided in your OP, it sounds like they are extremely well taken care of and lucky to have you. I can't take them. I have 3 big ones now. Good luck and congrats on your new arrival.

Sooner or later my step kid will knock out a grandbaby. I can just hear it now that the dogs will have to be "Contained" while grandma babysits. That won't end well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Ah Tim. Sucky situation. I made the same decision about 19 years ago. Poor dogs take a drop in time and attention once you start building the human family. I got lucky and a friend with young kids and property actually asked me for my dog about the time we were reaching this decision. I wish you the best of luck, and I wish I could help brother. I know they're family too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear it has to be that way.  I know you don't wanna do it.

If I didn't already have two dags and two cats in my 2-bdrm apartment, I'd offer to take them in.

I hope you can find a good home for 'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top