Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2009 2:28:13 PM EDT
Just checking to see how everyones gardens are coming along.  I have already harvested the first round of radishes and everything else is still incoming since I got a pretty late start on mine with the move and everything.

So far I have about 10 Jalapenos, 5 zuccinni, bunch of tomatos, carrots, 5 acorn squash and a few water mellon that should be ready in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Ton of Peas and some onions.  Deer got the Strawberries (again) and the corn, beans, carrots, pumpkins and potatos are still coming...

I should note, this is my kids' garden, I just pay the water bill.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ton of Peas and some onions.  Deer got the Strawberries (again) and the corn, beans, carrots, pumpkins and potatos are still coming...

I should note, this is my kids' garden, I just pay the water bill.

And eat the produce I hope!
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
soybeans, romaine lettuce, head lettuce, edamame plants, soybean plants, cucumber plants, tomato plants, carrots, beets, artichokes, strawberry plants, broccoli plants are all coming along nicely!

I lost the spinach –– just withered and died after about 30 days...

Should be harvesting tomatoes in a couple of weeks
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Asparagus is done.
Strawberries are done.
Peas are pretty much done.
Raspberries are ripening. (Munchkin loves these)
Blueberries should be ripening in the next couple weeks.
Taters are very happy in their barrels.
Beans are coming along nicely (Now if the damn deer would leave them alone)
Corn is between knee and waist high depending on the location in the plot.
Onions are doing pretty good.
Zuchini and squash are coming along.
Plums on the new trees are scarce but still growing.
Asian pears are growing.
Blackberries in the gully are slowly coming along.

On the downside:

Peppers didn't do anything.
Peach tree died.
Nectarine didn't do shit (suffering from peach curl. Unrelated to the dead peach)
New apple trees aren't doing anything.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Well the fiance came down to the gun room last night and forced me to eat some raspberrys and peas from the garden and she had a few cherry tomatoes with her so I assume they are ripe as well. Have no clue what else she has growing out there I just did the manual labor building the garden boxes.

I'm the hunter she's the gatherer.

T

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Didn't get to finish mine due to the arm injury.

Feverish masturbation?

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Didn't get to finish mine due to the arm injury.

Feverish masturbation?

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I think he only hurt one arm...(?)
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Took these pic's today.  Rabbits haven't been a problem this year.
Have already taken out close to 20 lbs of beets, had to replant the peas, and some of the corn out behind the shop is over 6 ft now.

Buster is getting tired of "Rabbit & Rice" dog food.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Peas are coming in ...
Zucchini is starting to produce.  
Broccoli is going (not nearly as much as I had hoped)
Cauliflower will be ready in about 2 weeks (I think)
Onions seem to be getting close to done
Lettuce is taking it's sweet time getting to the "head" stage
watermelons never came up
squash plant is HUGE, with a few buds
beans are flowering
Toms are starting to produce
Cucumbers are a little behind schedule
Pumpkins seem to be doing well
'taters ... well, dunno, can't see 'em, but they look ok
and corn ... Corn was a bit of an experiment this year.  I've got a few that are waist high, and the rest (planted later) are just below knee high.  Yeah, I know.  Growing up in the midwest the corn was always supposed to be "Knee high by the 4th of July", but I started a few rows late, just to see what happens.

And that's the report from here
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#12]
My garden absolutely sucks.  Harvested some radishes but they were terrible and I had to seed the garden again because most of it didn't even come up.

Its my second year in the house.  All last winter and fall I put a lot of good soil into the garden area that was there when I bought the place.  I even put a little lime and some manure in it.  Then I made the mistake of getting a gas powered tiller and tilling it.  It just pulled a bunch of gravel, sand and clay from the bottom and now my soil is shit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a pallet of steer manure (I think the guy who sold it to me was from Texas) (60 bags @ $1 /bag approx, cheap shit, .......... really)
Laid them out every 5 feet on a grid, cut them open, raked level and tilled in. (I think you can see some of them in the other garden thread.)
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nope, bad luck.

Pick the wrong guy to feverishly masturbate?

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, bad luck.

Pick the wrong guy to feverishly masturbate?

Were you looking to give him a hand ???
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I was waiting for someone to resurrect one of these garden threads.

Ok. My rhubarb plants went to seed. I harvested the seeds to see if I could grow plants from them as a test,
(if SHTF, do you really think they will have seeds at the store???)

Anyways I have close to a quart of seeds and the test planting indicated a 50% germination rate.

Anybody that wants FREE rhubarb seeds to start your rhubarb patch, drop me an IM with an address and I'll mail you a handful.

and no I'm not thinking of this as a PIF. (I've got to find that box of occupied links that is here somewhere)
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#19]
You'd be better off digging the roots and dividing them.  I try to break off the stalks that bolt before they go to seed in order to keep the remaining stalks firm, and the root producing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Ok. My rhubarb plants went to seed. I harvested the seeds to see if I could grow plants from them as a test,
(if SHTF, do you really think they will have seeds at the store???)

Anyways I have close to a quart of seeds and the test planting indicated a 50% germination rate.

Anybody that wants FREE rhubarb seeds to start your rhubarb patch, drop me an IM with an address and I'll mail you a handful.

and no I'm not thinking of this as a PIF. (I've got to find that box of occupied links that is here somewhere)

Quoted:
You'd be better off digging the roots and dividing them.  I try to break off the stalks that bolt before they go to seed in order to keep the remaining stalks firm, and the root producing.

Yes I understand that the normal method is to dig up the root and to divide into 4-8 part approx.
Using that method I might have 12 to 20 plants in the end, and none to give away.

Part of why I did it is highlighted in red above.
With my offer some people here will get to practice a little horticulture with seeds that aren't readily available to them thru stores.

See above for free rhubarb seeds.

2  -  IM's received (to date)
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#21]
The Olympia Farmer's Market is working fine, thanks for asking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top