Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 4:17:48 PM EDT
Here is where the city council went against the will of the people and I think it is good. Making the city taller will help keep urban sprawl down, IMO.

Seattle to Allow Taller Buildings

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE (AP) - City officials are yanking a voter-approved rule that has stunted Seattle's vertical growth for 15 years, but developers say there isn't much downtown space left for new skyscrapers.

A 1989 ballot initiative limited new buildings to 540 feet in the downtown core and to varying heights in other parts of the city. At the time, the area was in the midst of a building boom, and critics feared runaway growth.

On Monday, the City Council repealed those limits with an 8-0 vote.

Council member Peter Steinbrueck hailed it as a "turning point" and praised new requirements that developers contribute to a fund for low- and moderate-income downtown housing in exchange for building higher. Other new requirements include better energy efficiency, awnings to keep pedestrians dry, and showers for bicycle commuters in new office towers.

"We will do more with this legislation than change the look of downtown," Steinbrueck said. "We're going to change the feel of downtown and some of the dynamics of downtown."

The change doesn't mean Seattle is destined to shoot up into a city of towering buildings, though. Developers said most new construction will still be only 40 or 50 stories because of the lack of available large lots necessary to support taller buildings downtown.

The city's tallest building now is the 76-story Columbia Center, which was built before the initiative was approved.

The vote did clear the way for some developments that had been on hold pending the council's decision, including two proposed 400-foot condominium towers near the Pike Place Market and another at the north end of downtown, real estate experts said.

"A lot of out-of-town developers are focused very deeply on Seattle and have not made moves yet because they're waiting for this zoning change," said land use consultant Matthew Gardner. "Add to that the trend of baby boomers wanting to move downtown, and it bodes well for increased density and residential development."

--

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Better they should build in Portland.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
See I see more buildings in Downtown as a bad political move for us.

When Dick and Jane Smith scratch up enough money to finally buy a house and move out of the city, they become more aware of the bullshit taht is King County Government. All of the sudden the normally left leaning tax and spenders don't want their property taxes going up, and don't like the idea of the county telling them what they can and cannot do on their own property.

If more Condos and high rises go in, in keeps people in the liberal center of the city and keeps people away from the suburbs. They voting concentration stays in left leaning Seattle.

Meaning Ron Simms keeps winning, Gregwhore keeps winning.

Not only that, but with taller buildings, when the really big tidal wave hits, fewer of the libtarbs will be washed away.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
See I see more buildings in Downtown as a bad political move for us.

When Dick and Jane Smith scratch up enough money to finally buy a house and move out of the city, they become more aware of the bullshit taht is King County Government. All of the sudden the normally left leaning tax and spenders don't want their property taxes going up, and don't like the idea of the county telling them what they can and cannot do on their own property.

If more Condos and high rises go in, in keeps people in the liberal center of the city and keeps people away from the suburbs. They voting concentration stays in left leaning Seattle.

Meaning Ron Simms keeps winning, Gregwhore keeps winning.

Lefties are Lefties if living in the city or in the suburbs. I say keep the garbage in the taller dumpster rather than letting it build up all around the dumpster.

Quoted:

Seattle, Portland, LA...  pretty much any city. Just don't let them wash out to the suburbs, places like Lake Stevens, Burien, Gresham, etc. The Libtard quota is already full there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No, no, no.
Ship 'em off to SoCal, and good riddance.*

*And at the risk of being accused of highjacking the thread, or at leadt of changing the subject,  I like the suggestion I saw on an email list the other day, captured illegal aliens should be shipped off to 3rd World Nations for imprisonment--like we give the North Koreans a ton of rice each...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Lefties are Lefties if living in the city or in the suburbs. I say keep the garbage in the taller dumpster rather than letting it build up all around the dumpster.

Nailed it right on the head..

I've lived here all my life, and there has been a STEADY flow of Liberals up here.

They bitch about shooting on private property when its legal.

They bitch when someone shoots their damn dog for stealing chickens or attacking other dogs.

They bitch about the Motocross even though its been here forever(Washougal MX Track).

They bitch about the fisherman on the Washougal River.

They bitch that the county doesn't come up here fast enough to plow them out.

They bitch that the rock the county lays down in the winter during ice and snow hurts their precious Lexus.

And the list goes on and on. And you know how they want it fixed? MORE GOVERNMENT AND MORE LAWS.

Liberals who convert to being somewhat conservative where never true liberals, they don't start changing when they own land.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I like dumpster fires...

They burn hot, and get rid of the trash and rats.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I like dumpster fires...

They burn hot, and get rid of the trash and rats.

FIRE FIRE FIRE
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No, no, no.
Ship 'em offBACK to SoCal, and good riddance.*

fixed
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Big earthquake, tall buildings fall over = better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top