Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 9:59:13 AM EDT
A guy in the Survival forum claims it to be so.....no more firearms or ammo from Wally World in the next two years.
Link

We just had a simular thread....Link- "Winchester can go to Hell"

My buddy's wife works the gun counter at the Moses Lake WallyWorld, she basically said that WalMart IS trying to get away from the gun sales because of the "hassles"....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, been hearing that too. California-type rules are getting to be too much trouble to deal with. They didn't really support the type of shooting I do, so I won't miss them, but an ill wind, none the less.

Hang on to your brass. Round some up for us on range days. It may be easier (if not cheaper) to roll our own, down the road.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#2]
When wally world goes tank in youtr AO, its time to open a gun shop.Someone must fill the void.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#3]
They usually have pretty reasonable prices on 9mm ammo. It will be sad to see it go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Maaaaaaaan this sucks, I just bought 2 value pack winchester white box from wally world yesterday 11.98 per 100 rds.  You can't hardly find it that cheap on the net.  I guess it's time to start buying out walmart's ammo stock
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't heard about them stopping gun sales. It may also depend on the location that guy is at, they could just be stopping in certain areas. I will say that WM makes it hard to sell guns. There are so many checks and balances that it is almost impossible not to screw something up. Lets say in a normal gun shop there are 15 steps taken to sell a gun. At WM there are probably 100. Instead of making it easier to complete the process WM made it harder.

When I was working the sporting goods counter I could complete a firearm transaction in 10 minutes, including NICS call. Right now at my store you are looking at a minimum of 45 minutes, and more likely nearly an hour. Everyone is so freaked out about making the smallest mistake and losing their job.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I know it probably will one day.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

When I was working the sporting goods counter I could complete a firearm transaction in 10 minutes, including NICS call. Right now at my store you are looking at a minimum of 45 minutes, and more likely nearly an hour. Everyone is so freaked out about making the smallest mistake and losing their job.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I know it probably will one day.

That's what was explained to me.... That even if the customer made a mistake, says they made a mistake, and checks a "Yes" instead of a "No" where appropriate, AND the NICS is greenlighted, the manager must be called, the sale denied, and the customer told that they are not able to be sold a firearms at WalMart for *a very long time*....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Just last night I get called over to the sporting goods counter. Apparently there is an upset customer. He marked "NO" to the first question: "Are you the actual buyer of the firearm?"

They refused the sale. He got upset. That is when I was called. Management showed up and tried explaining to the customer why we refused the sale. The person selling the gun even asked the guy repeatedly to reread all the questions and make sure he answered them correctly. Once I got over there It looked to me like the guy was obviously drunk to begin with. Management came over to talk to me. I told them he must be refused, not only did he answer wrong, but he appears to be drunk. The manager said they thought they smelled alcohol on him.

Now that very rarely happens, but the management just considers it another reason selling guns is a pain in the ass. They had to take time away from their busy schedules to deal with an upset customer. Now that customer is going to be mad at walmart. We lost sales, he'll tell his freidns, they won't shop at walmart, more lost sales, blah, blah, blah........

I believe that eventually walmart will stop selling guns. If Sam was still around I doubt it would happen, but ever since he died WM has been going down the shitter IMO.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Kinda related, just found out Sports Authority no longer sells guns, ammo, related items.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't remember where I read it but somebody sent a letter to Walmart asking about this, the reply was that they will be stopping gun sales in areas that don't do alot of gun business, it's just too much hasle for the profit it brings in but they weren't going to stop sales at all stores.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
A friend who posts here told me that Wal Mart in Pt Orchard has stopped stocking Winchester 223 and told thim this week that they're stopping all gun and ammo sales.  It's just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
OK...so in some areas, given all the signs, do y'all think we might *actually* get to look forward to a new Gunshop?
I mean hell, we know that WalMart (As well as other simular chain stores) is responsible for driving more than a few gunshops, small hardware, and Mom & Pop grocery stores out of business. Does this mean a possible resurgence for the smaller gunshop?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont see why not Matt, small gun shops maybe will be resurrected.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
No Sir, I don't think so.  Too much hassle people have to go through in order to open a gun store.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No Sir, I don't think so.  Too much hassle people have to go through in order to open a gun store.

<Looks over both shoulders>
Pssssst....Gibby-
My dad just walk in here or something????

Yeah, but hassle Vs filling a void- Shit, everyone knows that most shops are owned by folks who are just feeding their addicitons through exposure, and if the super-chain's out of the picture.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<Looks over both shoulders>
Pssssst....Gibby-
My dad just walk in here or something????

Yeah, but hassle Vs filling a void- Shit, everyone knows that most shops are owned by folks who are just feeding their addicitons through exposure, and if the super-chain's out of the picture.....

Sorry.  I forgot you work for a living.  

Truth be told, I'd love to own a gun shop.  The WW in Marysville is crappy when it comes to ammo sales.  What little they have is behind the counter and you have to go through a huge hassle in order to get it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Local pawn shop here has M855 $12.00 for 20rds. 7.62X39mm is $3.79, I think some people could do better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The local shop where I live has the Wolf .223 for 5.99 per box.  That's $300 for a case.!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hey, let's get the Spokane guys together and open a gun shop
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You go ahead and fuck around with comments like that, and you'll get hit up for start up funds. Me and another very local ARFCOMmer just had this conversation last week.

Is this the start of something very cool????????????
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You go ahead and fuck around with comments like that, and you'll get hit up for start up funds. Me and another very local ARFCOMmer just had this conversation last week.

You guys are bound and determined to get me over to the dry side!  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are bound and determined to get me over to the dry side!  

Away from Libtards and populace....heavens no....

wanna buy a house?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Kinda related, just found out Sports Authority no longer sells guns, ammo, related items.  

They have remodeled / renovated select stores and discontinued firearms & ammo sales @ those particular stores.

I was just in a couple SA last weekend. CrossRoads in Bellevue = NO GUNS-AMMO  downtown SA in Bellevue ( the old Gart Sports ) = YES to Guns - Ammo.

Occasionally SA runs sales on ammo and often their mathmatically challenged employees ring it up at an even LOWER price than the sales price.

I cleared the shelves in the GI Joes Lynnwood Hwy 99 of about 20 40 rnd boxes of Winchester 45 gr Varmint load about a year ago for I think something like $3.99 a box ( 40 rnds per box ) $10 a box is the lowest you'll ever see that ammo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OK...so in some areas, given all the signs, do y'all think we might *actually* get to look forward to a new Gunshop?
I mean hell, we know that WalMart (As well as other simular chain stores) is responsible for driving more than a few gunshops, small hardware, and Mom & Pop grocery stores out of business. Does this mean a possible resurgence for the smaller gunshop?

If you want to see more gun shops support your local kitchen table dealers. I remember when I was buying guns from Brian Borgelt out of his basement and helping him at gun shows when I was young. Now look at Bullseye. Supporting Teknic and like minded individuals could be our next big gun shops.
But I like dealing with the guys that don't have store fronts and the overhead.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't you need a store front to get an FFL?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There's probably someone in here that can answer this better than I, but technically, yes.  My understanding is you have to have hours of business, and your home or garage becomes the business.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oooooh, I hope so.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's probably someone in here that can answer this better than I, but technically, yes.  My understanding is you have to have hours of business, and your home or garage becomes the business.

I've also heard of people having problems running businesses out of their houses because of zoning issues. They are zoned as residential and not commercial
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Well if wally world ever stops selling ammo I can get one of those "I don't shop at wall-mart" bumper stickers and not feel like a hypocrite
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Well this is something to add to the 1,234,987 reasons why Wal-Mart blows.  With all their contact in China, they should be the place for cheap AK.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#30]
i  am ashamed to admit that i worked for walmart in marysville.  if most people had any idea of the type of people they hire and that very few if any ever see more than $10.00 per hour, you would understand why i refuse to shop there and why they need to be over regulated to how they sell guns.

not all the people at wall mart are bad,but the vast majority  are not  too savy
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Went there today, for ammo of course, I asked for 3 boxes of .223 (120 rds).
Paid with debit card, got home, glanced at the receipt, was only charged for a single box, SCORE!
It came to about $.12/rd.  Cant beat that with a stick!

Sorry, thats my happiness for the day, well that and the hefeweizen.  -z
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Paid with debit card, got home, glanced at the receipt, was only charged for a single box, SCORE!

Sorry, thats my happiness for the day, well that and the hefeweizen.  

-z

Good for you, nice theivery!

BTW- You might want to actually adjust that behaviour a bit...one of these you'll get charged triple and not notice....or at least until you bounce a check (Or some simular Ooopsie!)
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-z

BTW- You might want to actually adjust that behaviour a bit...one of these you'll get charged triple and not notice....or at least until you bounce a check (Or some simular Ooopsie!)

+1

Damnit I'm not suppose to agree with you Matt! WTF!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-z

+1

Damnit I'm not suppose to agree with you Matt! WTF!

Was that a agreement or sumthin' within your coven?????

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, thats my happiness for the day, well that and the hefeweizen.  hr

Good for you, nice theivery!ht

Something bad/screwed up will always happen, it's just a matter of time.
Probably will pay closer attention to my receipts from now on though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#36]
If they are totally phasing out gun and ammo sales, than why are they still spending money on gun and ammo counters/sales in new/remodeled China Marts?

I think that like any other business, if the sales don't support it, than they get rid of it for room for stuff that makes them money, but in places where the sales are making them money, those products will stay there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If they are totally phasing out gun and ammo sales, than why are they still spending money on gun and ammo counters/sales in new/remodeled China Marts?

I think that like any other business, if the sales don't support it, than they get rid of it for room for stuff that makes them money, but in places where the sales are making them money, those products will stay there.

OH YEAH!~?~?~??~!!!!

Well- YER A CAPATALIST DOO_DOOHEAD.
Probably think da gubbermint is gonna save ya when All restuerants are Taco Bell, and all store ChinaMart!

ANARCHY!!!!!

I mean, yeah....Supply and demand .& the proportion of effort to profit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#38]
i pay .10 cents a round 24-7  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Here's the deal. It took me a year to get my FFL. I had a storefront (which is required) with set hours already but I had to upgrade my security, go though a background check, and be interviewed by the ATF. I also open myself and my personal collection up to regular inspections. I can't buy a gun from my own shop and sell it until a year goes by if I decide I don't like it. The county contacted me regarding zoning (they were contacted by the ATF), but since I had an existing retail business I was grandfathered in. I had to apply for a state license which is expensive and has to be renewed each year at the full amount of money. I had to get insurance. I have a huge amount of paperwork. Etc. Etc. Trust me, it is not worth it unless you really want to do it as a business. I sell a fair amount of firearms for a small store but because everyone looks at Walmart pricing it is hard to charge more than a hair over wholesale so you make almost nothing on guns. Ammo is expensive to have shipped and the markup is not good so forget that. The only real place to make money, in my opinion, is in gunsmithing which I bill out at $50 an hour. My suggestion is unless you plan on getting the training or apprenticing as I did look long and hard at opening your own store on a whim.

On that note, if anyone is in fact interested in opening a shop I am more than willing to answer any questions and give tips on what the ATF is looking for. It is my experience that despite all the hassles the ATF agents I have had contact with are more than willing to help if you demonstrate that you are serious about what you are doing and are willing to do whatever it takes to meet their requirements. Of course, I may just be lucky and have been assigned helpful agents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top