Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 4:04:26 PM EDT
I can't remember, but when I attended the AWB hearing, there was one Dem that was *livid* and threatened to tack on a silencer amendment (to allow us to use them) if it got out of committee.  Was it Hargrove?

I'd like to write him and ask him to amend the MG ban to allow FFLs to posess them.

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
James (Jim)Hargrove consistently supports the RKBA.

SB 5167 Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors was his bill.

www1.leg.wa.gov/senate/Hargrove
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd like to write him and ask him to amend the MG ban to allow FFLs to posess them.

Thanks,
BoB

Do you just mean regular FFLs/C&Rs? SOTs can own MGs in WA as it is.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can't remember, but when I attended the AWB hearing, there was one Dem that was *livid* and threatened to tack on a silencer amendment (to allow us to use them) if it got out of committee.  Was it Hargrove?

Thanks,
BoB

Jim Hargrove is MY Senator, he is active in the RKBA. He atends local gatherings that have to do with the RKBA and is rated tops with the NRA.  Without him on the comittee last year we very well could have had a AW ban in this state.  That said he is the ONLY dem that I will vote for right now.

Why only FFLs to posess MG and not EVERYONE that is legal, under fed rules?

What is Hargrove you ask, he is a good guy, maybe one of the last with a D after his name.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
BoB

Do you just mean regular FFLs/C&Rs? SOTs can own MGs in WA as it is.

Yeah, and the minimum price to play SOT is about $3000 per year.  Yeah, I could have lots of MGs, but it ends up being a wash in a lifetime (assuming I'd have about 10 MGs and live 50 more years; I'm 31).  3000x50 == 15000x10.

I think sneaking in with an amendment that allows C&R or (perhaps) CPL holders to own MGs would be possible.

BoB
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
BoB

Jim Hargrove is MY Senator, he is active in the RKBA. He atends local gatherings that have to do with the RKBA and is rated tops with the NRA.  Without him on the comittee last year we very well could have had a AW ban in this state.  That said he is the ONLY dem that I will vote for right now.

Why only FFLs to posess MG and not EVERYONE that is legal, under fed rules?

What is Hargrove you ask, he is a good guy, maybe one of the last with a D after his name.

I went to that AW hearing last year and I was floored.  I was shocked at how irritated he seemed with the rest of the committee.  It was incredible.  Loved every minute of it.

That said, I'd push for MGs for everyone, but I've had both Dems and Reps say that there's no chance given the political climate.  That's why sneaking in some sort of additional licensing seems a bit easier.  Considering every law abiding citizen should be able to get a C&R or CPL (they could rename it a CPL and NFA license), then it's available for everyone.

BoB
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

To anybody reading this, if Jim Hargrove is your Senator: PLEASE write to him about this topic.  He needs to know that we want our NFA in WA.  Don't get all constitutional on his @ss, just paint the picture that we're law-abiding collectors and competition shooters.  We'd like to have these weapons in our collections and we're willing to help him in any way possible.

Remember, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Thanks all!
BoB
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Will a "real" Suppressor bill ever pass? One where we can shoot it here also?  Will we ever be allowed machine guns or SBRs?  Finally can anyone own a machinegun in this state with the right license?
btw whats a C&R, SOT and a CPL?
Thanks for your patience with a slow dry sider.  Only my cars are real fast....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Will a "real" Suppressor bill ever pass? One where we can shoot it here also?  Will we ever be allowed machine guns or SBRs?  Finally can anyone own a machinegun in this state with the right license?

C&R = Curios and Relics FFL license. $30 per 3 years, allows you to buy old guns directly mail order.

CPL = Washington concealed pistol license (CCW)

SOT = Special Occupational Taxpayer = NFA firearms dealer/manufacturer
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I doubt a real suppressor bill will pass the current administration.  Hargrove gets it on the books to make sure he has something to 'threaten' the anti's with.  He knows that he can likely drum up enough votes to attach a suppressor rider to any bad bill and therefore kill it.  He's just letting the world know that he has an ace in the hole.

Again, outright reversal of the selected NFA ban is unlikely under the current administration.  That's why we need to be a bit sneakier.  One can put a great deal of spin on 'licensing' and how it's protecting businesses while protecting the public even more than the current law, or 'bringing the current law up to federal standads'.  Some shite like that.

FWIW, a getting a C3 (NFA dealer) or C7 (NFA manufacturer) license (+SOT) requires a great deal of tenacity.  It takes many many months and lots of cash (more in this state) to get.  Also, they stipulate that you must be 'engaged in business' and that you are not getting this license to 'enahnce your personal collection'.  So you have to be at least quasi-legit.  I have some ideas that can legitimize a R&D company, but it has to pass the scrutiny of an ATF interview, so you need to have your shite together.

Last time I checked, a C7 was easier to get since manufacturers don't actually have to sell anything.  They can just demo to PD and other Gov't agencies.  They can also acquire 'R&D weapons' for 2-year periods after which they must sell, return, or destroy the study model.

The rough costs to get a C7 were:
FFL: $300
SOT: $500 (first year; $1000 after)
State Business Licensing: $100
Environmental Study (for manufacturing): $250
There were some other fees, plus insurance, plus startup costs, that brought it up to about $3000 to start things up.  I would start by converting my own personal firearms, but eventually you'll need to front cash to acquire MGs (study models) or build them.

It's pricy, but the determined person can make things happen.  I'll likely move out of the state before the investment would pay off.  That's why I gave up and decided to push the 'any FFL' or 'CPL' route to allow NFA ownership.

Likely more info than you wanted.  Also, please feel free to correct my figures above.  I did my research last year and am recalling those from memory.

BoB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top