Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 10:58:21 PM EDT

Loving my lefty Stag a lot already.  I will be bringing it to the show Saturday morn if interested.  I'll post more when I'm awake =)  

Yes, I already resized the image down from 2560x1920
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Great...

Another Lefty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Speaking as someone who shoots rifles "lefty", I just don't get the Lefty Stag ARs.  I really don't.  The AR is a very "ambidextrous" weapon to begin with, really.  The two biggest issues are the mag catch and the selector, both of which have solutions (some better than others.)  Now you've got some really non-standard parts to deal with.

I have a Norgon on my AR, and I rarely ever use it.  It is the best design I've seen for an ambi-mag release, but it still isn't great.  There is no leverage on the little button, so if you try to eject a mag with rounds left in it, it is very hard to activate.  If the bolt is locked back on an empty mag, it works fine.  I'm thinking about having it drilled and tapped for an extended lever.

Anyway, glad to see you have joined the BRC (Black Rifle Club.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
So is the bolt carrier backwards too, or is the bolt cam pin just set at a different angle????

I would love to see the b/bc.

I notice the forward side sling is still on my side of the barrel.

Also the charging handle release is still on my side.

Is the only thing lefty the upper???

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Speaking as someone who shoots rifles "lefty", I just don't get the Lefty Stag ARs.  I really don't.  The AR is a very "ambidextrous" weapon to begin with, really.  The two biggest issues are the mag catch and the selector, both of which have solutions (some better than others.)  Now you've got some really non-standard parts to deal with.

I have a Norgon on my AR, and I rarely ever use it.  It is the best design I've seen for an ambi-mag release, but it still isn't great.  There is no leverage on the little button, so if you try to eject a mag with rounds left in it, it is very hard to activate.  If the bolt is locked back on an empty mag, it works fine.  I'm thinking about having it drilled and tapped for an extended lever.

Anyway, glad to see you have joined the BRC (Black Rifle Club.)

As far as the Norgun goes, it works great for me on either a empty or full clip.  Does not need excessive amounts of pressure to make it work.  I know I kinda worked myself into a corner on parts availability, but thats what the warranty is for (hopefully).  Im mainly just going to accessorize the outside (scopes/rails).

I'll take more pics for ya CavVet when I get home from work/school tonight
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

As far as the Norgun goes, it works great for me on either a empty or full clip.  Does not need excessive amounts of I know I kinda worked myself into a corner on parts availabilitypressure to make it work. but thats what the warranty is for (hopefully).  Im mainly just going to accessorize the outside (scopes/rails).  I'll take more pics for ya CavVet when I get home from work/school tonight

That is the reason I have always trained with the right handed version and learned to live with it even though I'm left handed. I'm also curious about the bolt/extractor timing. Do you just rotate the bolt so the extractor is on the other side or is there actually a left handed bolt?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as the Norgun goes, it works great for me on either a empty or full clip.  Does not need excessive amounts of I know I kinda worked myself into a corner on parts availabilitypressure to make it work. but thats what the warranty is for (hopefully).  Im mainly just going to accessorize the outside (scopes/rails).  I'll take more pics for ya CavVet when I get home from work/school tonight

That is the reason I have always trained with the right handed version and learned to live with it even though I'm left handed. I'm also curious about the bolt/extractor timing. Do you just rotate the bolt so the extractor is on the other side or is there actually a left handed bolt?

It uses a left hand bolt AND a left hand bolt carrier.  I don't believe you can take a regular bolt and install it "backwards" and use it.  From what I gather from Stag's website, the lefty version doesn't have M4 feedramps either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm also curious about the bolt/extractor timing. Do you just rotate the bolt so the extractor is on the other side or is there actually a left handed bolt?

If you rotate the bolt to put the extractor on the left, it would eject down into the upper if you went to cam pin alignment.

Quoted:
It uses a left hand bolt AND a left hand bolt carrier.  I don't believe you can take a regular bolt and install it "backwards" and use it.  

Can you say proprietary?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can you say proprietary?

Nice weapon Sir, and stock up on some "lefty" parts unique to that Stag for backup.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully the only parts are the bolt itself and the upper receiver. Lose the bc and just lose the FA ability, no different than having a slickside bc. It would be kinda stupid for them to redesign anything else.

There really is no reason to change anything else I can think of. Left hand Firing pin???  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a lot nicer than the DPMS Southpaw rifle....

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's a lot nicer than the DPMS Southpaw rifle....

www.rbprecision.com/6e8fc7f0.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:Can you say proprietary?
OMG, yes I *can* say proprietary.  I *know* it is and I *still* damn well like my purchase.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:Can you say proprietary?
OMG, yes I *can* say proprietary.  I *know* it is and I *still* damn well like my purchase.

You did well. Glad to see them making rifles for those of us in our RIGHT minds.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Aye...  I'm not trying to be an ass.  I know I purchased a unit that is not anywhere as interchangable as most ARs go, but damnit, its my mistake to make.  Glad I don't view it as an error.  Might change my opinion later.  Glad later has not come yet.  I shall enjoy my bliss as long as it lasts.  Even if its in ignorance.

I was taught early in life:

There are only a few perfect people out there... the rest are right handed.

Either way, I am very happy to own this unit and I look forward to seeing the people I met at Tweak and Millie's place and I hope to meet many more people I can call friend a week from now @ LCR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top