Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 10:10:08 PM EDT
I just moved to the state a couple weeks ago and I'm completely unfamiliar with... everything :)

I hate commercial shooting ranges but they'll do if that's all that's here.  Are there any public ranges near by?  Or even better, are there secluded places where people rec shoot up in the hills and do the local laws outlaw this?  I'm talking out of the city limits and far away from dwellings of course.

I had a secluded place in CA that was 15 minutes out of town where shooting bothered no one.  I guess I'm praying there is a similar little hide-away here.  I'll check out the local rifle club but that's my only lead other than Sharpshooters which I don't really care for.  Thanks for any responses.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#2]
First thing I did was search for "Spokane" and got nothing lol.  Thanks for reply, I'll get in touch with them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]
There is the Spokane Rifle Club on the north side of town with a covered 100, open 200-300, covered 7-25 pistol, shotgun and and indoor pistol range. Membership is $ 120 a year.

Than you have the Mica range South of town, fairly primative but CHEAP ! Does have gongs and silhuettes out too 1200 yds ? Limited operating hours . Just don't piss off Joel He and his 45 may look old but he can move and it probably works.

Than you have Sharp Shooting Yuppie indoor range, not to bad but alittle sterile for my taste.

For "going out in the woods " unless you own or know someone with property the best closest pub land is north up around Chewelah 1hr drive.

Close by in Idaho..

There is a nice new indoor shooting complex in Post Falls that is really nice.

Couer D' Alene rifle club and Fernan.

Fernan is VERY nice and inexpensive and you can pretty much do whatever you wan't , FA, Bump whatever as long as you aren't an ASS. They also hold 3-gun and IPSC there also.

If I didn't live five mins from SRC I would go to Fernan.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Than you have the Mica range South of town, fairly primative but CHEAP ! Does have gongs and silhuettes out too 1200 yds ? Limited operating hours . Just don't piss off Joel He and his 45 may look old but he can move and it probably works.

There is a nice new indoor shooting complex in Post Falls that is really nice.

He is like an elephant. He remembers. I like the mica range. Steel targets of various sizes out to 1200yds. Seperate pistol area with steel targets.

Where are you located?

Tangeant: Where is the Post Falls indoor range? Contact info?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I live out by 5 Mile center on the N side.

Center Target Sports  , it is across the street from the Wal-Mart on Mullan about 2 blocks east of Hwy 41 exit, you can't miss it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have an address or web page for the Mica range?  That sounds like a good place.

I also live right near the 5 mile shopping center.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do you have an address or web page for the Mica range?  That sounds like a good place.

I also live right near the 5 mile shopping center.

Once you have been there, you will understand. If you live on the north side I would say your best bet would be the Spokane Rifle Club. The mica range is at least 20-30mins away. IM for specific directions.

ETA: Thanks for the link tangeant
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol ok I guess I should have thought about "fairly primitive” before asking for the web page.  $120 a year ain't bad for the rifle club.  Is it $120 per year plus a range fee every time you use it or is $120 the range fee?  I'll mapquest it and go shoot my new Armalite finally!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If you live by me it's almost an hour+ depending on traffic to get to the Mica range from the north side of town. I use to go out there when I lived in the valley.

The SRC is 5 minutes from here. Go west on Francis down around the corner and take a left on Rifle Club Road at the signs for Riverside State Park " Bowl & Pitcher ". It's $ 120 a year plus a $20 initiation charge. If you wan't to shoot as a non member on non member days it's $ 10 a day. The only extra fees are for using the indoor range $ 5 and having to be in the presence of that A-hole Fischer who runs it ....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Great, thanks for your help tangeant.  I'll try it out next week.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
So what brings you to Spokane?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife inherited a house here and we were looking to get away from California.  At first we were just going to Nevada but after hearing from her family that this house was availible finally... well, it's hard to turn down a free house :)

I was amazed when I walked into the gun store, paid for my assault rifle + tax, and took it home. lol  No assault weapons ban, no FBI fingerprinting, no 10 day wait, no $35 fee for all of the paperwork.  Not to mention the "buck a month club"  CPL for $60 and it lasts 5 years?  Wow.  I've been sheltered in the Republic of CA
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you live by me it's almost an hour+ depending on traffic to get to the Mica range from the north side of town. I use to go out there when I lived in the valley.

The SRC is 5 minutes from here. Go west on Francis down around the corner and take a left on Rifle Club Road at the signs for Riverside State Park " Bowl & Pitcher ". It's $ 120 a year plus a $20 initiation charge. If you wan't to shoot as a non member on non member days it's $ 10 a day. The only extra fees are for using the indoor range $ 5 and having to be in the presence of that A-hole Fischer who runs it ....

We went out there today. sign on the front gate said $20 non member fee so we went down the road a bit to some state land and had our fun.

Speaking of state land, anybody know if you can get maps that show what is and isn't public use land and how to tell if it's open for shooting?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Jezz, you guys all live around here and we can't get an East side shoot going  
It's about damn time we all got together and had an WA AFcom east side shoot or at least an east side get together-we even have a hooters to meet  in now.   I will be gone at the LCR next weekend but anytime the fallowing week sounds good.  Come on we cant let the west side crew have all the fun
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#15]
might be hard to convince my wife to go to Hooters but we would definately like to get together  some time.
If nothing else, we should meet up at the next fun show.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I asked the same question when I bought my rifle the other day and was told to stop by the fish and game place and they would have a map of any shooting areas.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I hit up the rifle club today and it was pretty nice.  The older guys weren't too keen on the young guy with "the black gun" but I could care less really.  They'll love my Glocks and other ugly black guns  The owner was really nice and the facilities were well kept.  It's like 3 miles from my house so that makes it very convenient.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
might be hard to convince my wife to go to Hooters but we would definately like to get together  some time.
If nothing else, we should meet up at the next fun show.

You guys wanna get together at Hooters, have fun.  Meeting up before or at the next fun show sounds great.

The_end, welcome to Spokane and the HTF.

ETA: The next Spokane fun show is Nov 5-6 at the fairgrounds.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
The only mildly creepy thing about Hooters is that my old girlfriends daughter works there.  It would be creepy to see old geezers eye-balling her.

I am pretty booked up for the next two weeks with work but after that a get together might be fun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Count me in for a little group shoot.  I'd help plan it but I obviously know nothing about Spokane lol

I'll deffinetly be at that gun show to score some ammo for my new toy.  Thanks for the tip short-n-sweet
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm new to the area too, coming from Ellensburg.  I can't stand ranges, and so far haven't been able to find any state land in my area(Airway Heights/Fairchild AFB area)  Haven't had too much time to search but I was thinking it was starting to look grim.  Anybody know where there is kosher state land west of Spokane i.e. Medical Lake, Fairchild area?  Would be interested in a group shoot for sure.

Mac
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#22]
max, there is some nice BLM land out from the fishtrap exit I go out there ocationaly, (its an 1 hour drive for me)  distances up to 300 yrds. I cant remeber what the road names are -I'd have to show you how to get there.  I say we meet up befor the next fun show and not at hooters just to keep things on the level (besides my wife probobly wouldn't like me going there either)  Just come up with a good spot for all of us to meet and I'll be there.  
the_end, the rifle club is fairly nice but watch out for the asshats as they do tend to breed out there for some reason-especialy at the pistol/short 25 yrd range.  On fridays they should have a sign that reads"Beware range nazi's at work." I do shoot national matches out there mainly because they are the only range that has them around here.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds good to me Mack

I can't f'ing stand range terds.  I like to do my own thing, and stick to my training.  I know the rules of firearms safety and don't need a "hat" barking at me on how to shoot.  That's what really kills me, when you get advice in the "absolutely do not do" vein.  I once had a dude tell me to pull the trigger in a jerking motion so as to avoid flinching.....  I wish I were making that up.  Fishtrap exit ehh.  I'll have to start looking.

Mac

front sight front sight front sight preesssssssss BANG reset, repeat.............
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Mack, I didn't run across any of the range nazi's this time, just a few grumpy looks from grumpy old men who didn't like hearing more than one shot per minute from anyone on the 100yd line.  Whatever, count me in for a shoot before the fun show.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Hopefully by that time I will be working days and will be able to got to a pre show shoot or GTG but my days off are still up in the air, the likelyhood of me getting weekends off arefairly slim.A post show shoot/GTG would probobley work better for me. We could meet at a designated place befor we go to the show then proceed to the shoot/GTG after the show.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#26]
<<<--------Lives in Spokane now. Someone who knows the area please put a shoot together! Not that I have any guns here
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#27]
We are working to put one together for the guys on this side of the state.  sounds like there might be one on or around nov. 6th or 7th pre or post show.  On another note you want a ride to the LCR? ie: see my other posts. you are welcome to hitch with me and my boys, just bring a tent and sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Another East side question;  Are there any places you guys can recommend within an hour or two of Spokane for a good carbine class or combat shotgun type corse.  I've got a handful of free passes for Front Sight in Las Vegas for their 4-day defensive handgun course and plan on making that trip ASAP but I'd love to take a carbine course with my new toy.

ETA:  I'm going out to the Jergan's (sp?) land on Friday.  I was told it's public land and it's fine to shoot out there with plenty of room and back stops.  I was told it's out around the 13-14 mile marker going out past Nine Mile Falls.  Have you guys been there?  Would it work for a group shoot?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Another East side question;  Are there any places you guys can recommend within an hour or two of Spokane for a good carbine class or combat shotgun type corse.  I've got a handful of free passes for Front Sight in Las Vegas for their 4-day defensive handgun course and plan on making that trip ASAP but I'd love to take a carbine course with my new toy.

ETA:  I'm going out to the Jergan's (sp?) land on Friday.  I was told it's public land and it's fine to shoot out there with plenty of room and back stops.  I was told it's out around the 13-14 mile marker going out past Nine Mile Falls.  Have you guys been there?  Would it work for a group shoot?

1. The range across from Wal-Mart in Post Falls (Center Target Sports) offers such things...I guess one of the owners is some kind of three gun guru/champ.

2. That location sounds A LOT like some DNR land out past Big Sandy Estates. Last I had heard, the locals succeeded in getting a no-shooting ban put in place due to more than a few morons w/ no muzzel discipline, range orientation, or ethics.(I've been shot at at least three times out there and I ain't gonna say if I did or didn't return fire.) Be careful is the bottom line.

MACK- We definetly need to get the Far Dry-side Shoot going. I'm still stumped for a location.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#30]
there is some BLM land out by Fishtrap that might do in a pinch but it is a drive (for around here)  and there isn't much space for parking and I don't think you can camp out there.  1GR said he knew of a few spots up by Usk but again that is still a drive.  I am about ready to IM him for locations but I will see him on friday so I might as well wait.  You still over at FT. Lewis? and did I hear you say that you might show up on sat?  that would be cool.  If so I will see you there.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, it’s the spot past Big Sandy and I heard the same story about that land being closed but apparently the folks who were responsible did it illegally and the big gate they illegally installed is now locked OPEN.  I'll find out tomorrow morning I guess and report back..
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yes, it’s the spot past Big Sandy and I heard the same story about that land being closed but apparently the folks who were responsible did it illegally and the big gate they illegally installed is now locked OPEN.  I'll find out tomorrow morning I guess and report back..

A word of caution...they may have illegally installed a gate on DNR property, but I doubt if that would void a no-shoot ban for the area.

I can't wait to hear a range report....IF it IS still availible for shooting, THAT is the place for an ARFCOM Eastsider shoot. Fo' Shore!

C_J- (And any others temporarily seperated from their firearms...) IF we do get his thing going, IM me, and you'll just have to buy your own ammo, I'll bring extra boomsticks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:35:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Good times Matt, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#34]
So the story behind Jergan's Rd is the "no shoot ban" was actually made up by the locals and it is and always has been legal to shoot there.  Their final attempt to feel safe out there is a bunch of home made signs that say "Shooters be careful, there are homes out here"  and "Shooters be sure of your back stop."   It was open and evidence of many previous shooters there but the area was surprisingly pretty clean.  The only real litter was lots of shot gun shells lying around but it appears most people pick up after themselves.  I liked it so much out there I'd go clean it up myself every once in a while if it means it will stay open.

Jergan's Road is just past the 15-mile marker and turns to dirt after a handful of houses and a new development.  About a 1/4 mile later there is the yellow gate then the road gets pretty bad.  You need some ground clearance but if you're careful, a full size car should be able to make it without bottoming out.  No need for 4x4 or anything if it's dry.  We could always meet in Nine Mile Falls or even back at Five Mile and car pool for the people without a suitable vehicle.

My wife and I only went about 1/4 mile into the trails and stopped where a 100yd "range" was put together.  We shot for about 15 minutes and two other trucks went by and kept going but we heard them shooting up the road, probably another mile or so up into the hills.  About a half hour later two other guys showed up and shared our "range" for a while until we called it quits.

I don't know how far up you can go but the two younger guys that were there said they usually shoot wherever they can find a back stop and so does everyone else.  They said if you shoot near the gate where private property is right next door, the locals come and bitch about rounds hitting near their houses (yeah right).  There are tons of suitable short range shooting areas though and more than enough room for a group of people.  The guys who passed us and shot up in the hills sounded like they were shooting further distances but I don’t know for sure since we didn’t head up there.  I'd say the area is perfect for a group shoot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Guess I need to keep up in the WA area.  The indoor range in Post Falls is a great place.

I'll keep an eye out for a get-together.  I'm in Pullman, WA right now but my parents are in Post Falls and the girlfriend is from the Valley.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So the story behind Jergan's Rd is the "no shoot ban" was actually made up by the locals and it is and always has been legal to shoot there.  Their final attempt to feel safe out there is a bunch of home made signs that say "Shooters be careful, there are homes out here"  and "Shooters be sure of your back stop."   It was open and evidence of many previous shooters there but the area was surprisingly pretty clean.  The only real litter was lots of shot gun shells lying around but it appears most people pick up after themselves.  I liked it so much out there I'd go clean it up myself every once in a while if it means it will stay open.

Yep, the area IS perfect. I know it quite well actually, the whole reason I didn't ever mention it is that I thought the DNR had placed a restricton on shooting there, in fact I saw a couple of Spokeman Review articles on it...but it sounds as if it never actually happened.....

Good deal. Let's do it. October might be a tad chilly, but, why the hell not? I'm thinking Fri Oct 21st and Sat Oct 22 would work for me. Hmm- New thread time.Linky
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll be damned if I haven't been flying over that location(Jergan's) now for the past two months!  Gonna drive out there this weekend and see what I can find.

Everytime coming in to Intl from the North practice area or Deer Park I fly right over that ridge line, it is right on the edge of Spokane's class Charlie airspace.  Also right about where I start the decent to pattern altitude which puts me about 800~1000ft above the ground as the ridge line smoothes away towards the valley.  Looks like some good ground.

Anyone know of any remote stomping grounds, i.e. state land that you can camp, shoot and have a little fire and what not within an hour or so of Spokane?  Somewhere up north by Lane Mtn or something? As I said earlier, I've been living in Ellensburg the past three years and I'm used to getting in the truck, driving for an hour, and having a Mtn all to myself.  Anywhere like that around here?  Thanks all and I see if I can't post some pics for others to see before the organized shoot.

If anyone is interested in going up Fri or Sat for a few hours, let me know.  Need to find some place to run amuck, feel like I'm getting city fever..... ;)

Mac
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'll be damned if I haven't been flying over that location(Jergan's) now for the past two months!  Gonna drive out there this weekend and see what I can find.

Everytime coming in to Intl from the North practice area or Deer Park I fly right over that ridge line, it is right on the edge of Spokane's class Charlie airspace.  Also right about where I start the decent to pattern altitude which puts me about 800~1000ft above the ground as the ridge line smoothes away towards the valley.  Looks like some good ground.

Anyone know of any remote stomping grounds, i.e. state land that you can camp, shoot and have a little fire and what not within an hour or so of Spokane?  Somewhere up north by Lane Mtn or something? As I said earlier, I've been living in Ellensburg the past three years and I'm used to getting in the truck, driving for an hour, and having a Mtn all to myself.  Anywhere like that around here?  Thanks all and I see if I can't post some pics for others to see before the organized shoot.

If anyone is interested in going up Fri or Sat for a few hours, let me know.  Need to find some place to run amuck, feel like I'm getting city fever..... ;)

Mac

There are some ok camping spots with some quarry access at Lane Mt/Red Marble Above Waitts lake. The end of last year the outfit with the mining lease on the main Red Marble quarry left a front end loader up there and some Ahole's shot the piss out of it so they have been blocking the main quarry access ever since. the lower quarry is open but is only about 75 yds and you can shoot/camp at some of the pull outs on the right side or at the overview of the main quarry which is a good shooting spot but it's a hell of a hike to set up targets if you don't wan't to shoot at rocks or misc junk.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna head out there and do some scouting around this weekend.  Bummer about the equipment getting shot up.  It takes all kinds

Mac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top