Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 9:22:55 PM EDT
I just heard on the news that 2,000 of the New Orleans refugees are coming to Ft.Lewis.  I'm trying to figure how those of us that served can't get back on base, but those that looted can...

I honestly hope they took 2,000 decent ones, or Lakewood and Tacoma PD are going to have their hands full (more full).
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad will be thrilled.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
By the way... they do not want to be called "refugees"...  
Go figure...
It also drives me nuts when folks try to make ordinary criminal acts as racist statements...

New race row rattles relief drive for hurricane victims
Agence France Presse.
Sun Sep 4,10:53 PM ET

African American leaders complained that it was racist to describe black Hurricane Katrina survivors as "refugees," as a new discrimination debate rattled the relief effort.

Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson rebuked the media for using the word, and also hit out at repeated use of footage of African American hurricane survivors looting shops in the anarchic days after the storm hit Monday.

Bruce Gordon, president and chief executive of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) meanwhile argued that some blacks risked being deprived their rights as American citizens.

Terming the poor, mainly black, people evacuated by air and bus from the terrible aftermath of Katrina as refugees "is insulting, it is racist, it does not describe American citizens," Jackson said.

"If you characterise them as refugees, it is someone other than citizens," he said. Aid agencies classify those who are forced to flee their homes but do not cross international borders as internally displaced people.

Jackson also hit out at the media for its coverage of looting and anarchy which broke out in downtown New Orleans, a majority-black city, after the storm hit.

"With a black person it is called looting, with a white person, it is called finding food."

Gordon said survivors of the hurricane had pleaded with him to tell people that they were not refugees.

"They are offended when you use that term to describe them, they see themselves as American citizens," he said.

"They have been reduced to a level that is below citizenship of the United States," he said, and called for a massive government funding relief effort.

"The benchmark should be 9/11," he said calling for a massive influx of federal cash to rehabilitate victims.

Gordon said poor, African Americans had been disproportionately impacted by the tragedy, and complained about conditions in shelters elsewhere in Louisiana, as well as in Texas, where many have been sent.

"People don't want to live like this, they don't have to live like this," said Gordon, after he visited packed evacuee holding centers in Baton Rouge, 70 miles (110 kilometers) from New Orleans.

Gordon said the NAACP had identified small churches within a 250-mile (400-kilometer) radius of New Orleans to provide more suitable accommodation.

And he claimed that black people in places like Biloxi, Mississippi, heavily hit by Hurricane Katrina, were being ignored.

"I see no signs of Red Cross, I see no signs of FEMA," (Federal Emergency Management Agency."

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, however dismissed claims that black people were discriminated against in the mass evacuation ahead of Katrina's deadly surge ashore.

"I don't believe for one minute that anybody allowed people to suffer because they were African-Americans. I just don't believe it," Rice said during a visit to her native Alabama to survey the damage.

Rice, the highest-ranking African-American in the cabinet of President George W. Bush, however agreed that some people in black-majority New Orleans could not evacuate because they were poor.

"I am an African American. I am from Alabama. I can tell you that this response is not a response about color. This is a response about Americans helping Americans," she said.

Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi were worst hit by Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into the Gulf Coast last Monday leaving thousands feared dead and most of New Orleans under water.

Many victims in New Orleans, a city of around 1.4 million people, 67.3 percent of whom are black and 30 percent of whom live below the poverty line, were unable to flee because they did not have cars or cash to pay for hotels, charged Louisiana Congressman William Jefferson, an African-American.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You'd think semantics wouldn't be a concern right now.

As long as my Wife and kids had food and shelter, I could give a sh*t what you call it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"With a black person it is called looting, with a white person, it is called finding food."

Ok Mr Jackasson, show me one, JUST ONE, of the refugees looters survivors EATING a stereo, TV, vehicle, whatever, and I will stop calling them lawless looters.  JUST ONE!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, that refugee term isn't PC.  However, it seems to be quite fitting being as they have been forced out of their city and state.  

refugee

n : an exile who flees for safety

Who needs eminent domain...............?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The funny, or weird, thing is that not only black folks were "exiled".   There were many from other races, religions, etc.   But the m..f... only complains about the blacks...    

Using his own premiss I'd say he has quite a discriminatory speech and also lacks any sense of accountability by trying to ignite a "race war" over an already unstable situation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Many victims in New Orleans, a city of around 1.4 million people, 67.3 percent of whom are black and 30 percent of whom live below the poverty line, were unable to flee because they did not have cars or cash to pay for hotels, charged Louisiana Congressman William Jefferson, an African-American.

Funny, they have two feet don't they?  If I knew several hours beforehand that a hurricane was coming for the city, and I had no car... I GAURENTEE you my ass would be running to safety, that's right, with my own two feet.  In fact, with all the fleeing traffic on the roads, I bet it would be quicker to just as soon walk/run to safety...

You can EASILY make it out of a city in several hours, even by walking, or at least to a safer location.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#8]
HottNikkels069,

They were running buses for days before it hit, so the no car excuse really doesn't add up anyway.

Is it me, or does anyone else think that these people might not be lining the overpass waving the US Flag to support the troops that had to come down and save their lawless butts?

Color me cynical.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like Hilltop will have some competition now. Oh boy! 2,000 looters, roaming the streets of Lakewood (as seen on COPS) and Spanaway (as seen on COPS)! I know I"LL be sleeping better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
HottNikkels069,

They were running buses for days before it hit, so the no car excuse really doesn't add up anyway.

Is it me, or does anyone else think that these people might not be lining the overpass waving the US Flag to support the troops that had to come down and save their lawless butts?

Color me cynical.....

Color you righteous
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard this morning they're being shacked up in the brand new barracks on North Fort.  While those of us serving, stay in the pre-Vietnam era barracks by the airfield.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I heard this morning they're being shacked up in the brand new barracks on North Fort.  While those of us serving, stay in the pre-Vietnam era barracks by the airfield.

The Lakewood Looters demand nothing but the best.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I remmember when those were the good barracks, I used to have to live in the old WWII barracks on North Fort Concentration Camp.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That is wrong!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I remmember when those were the good barracks, I used to have to live in the old WWII barracks on North Fort Concentration Camp.

Yeah, I've stayed there before.  Man, those really sucked.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]
When I did summer camp at Lewis with my JROTC class we stayed in those barracks too.

They were old 5 years ago
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit.
We stayed in the WWII barracks in Nov-Jan 03' while getting ready to deploy. The O grades and Senior NCO's were put up in the brick bldgs.
Come to think of it, we stayed ther during de-mobilization, Mar '05.

Guess since they're NOT up to Federal housing codes, it wouldn't be fair to treat a citizen like a GI. What else is new.

I wonder what would happen if they didn't have electricity 24/7?
If 2 out of 3 meals for one week a month was MRE's?
If the chow was kept in a plastic insulated box for 2-4 hours before serving?
If the heaters all broke, and no one had any money to fix them. But we found rakes, brooms, paint and paint brushes for them to "Tidy up" "their" area?
We decided to make them wear excessive clothing, contrary to personal comfort levels.
We restriced the intake of alcoholic beverages, to nil.
We monitored all internet communications.
Delivered mail, when we felt like it.
Screwed up, beyond any comprehension, any paperwork they may have. Invent other paperwork they don't have, especially if it's redundant.
Ect, ect, ect, ad nasuem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I did summer camp at Lewis with my JROTC class we stayed in those barracks too.

They were old 5 years ago

When I did summer camp, JROTC at Ft Lewis I also stayed in those barracks...

They were also old 16 years ago.

MCJROTC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok Mr Jackasson, show me one, JUST ONE, of the refugees looters survivors EATING a stereo, TV, vehicle, whatever, and I will stop calling them lawless looters.  JUST ONE!

+1  I would  say other less PC things..but no reason to have this thread locked ...yet

Rebel Sharpshooter
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#20]
A few things to keep in mind...

1.  After they move 2K up here how many of them can you really expect to move back to NO ?        considering that WA has some of the best welfare  bennifits in the union.  If some do decide to move back who will foot the bill to get them there, since they didn't have the $$$ to get the hell out of the danger zone in the first place???  The Fed's?, I'm sure that WA will have a bit of the burden too.

2.  Since most of them were on public "assistance" before the storm, and various criminal records, I wonder how the overall crime rate for WA will reflect the "relocation of those poor refugees"???

3.  Who will be paying for all the "assistance" that they recieve? Federal $$ as we all know, but how much will WA be responsible for after we welcome them with open arms???  Then consider the long term cost of the increased burden on the law enforcement community, ie court costs, increased arrests rates, over the long term it is going to cost the state of WA millions in just law enforcement  alone.  Not even counting unemployment, and state assistance bennifits..

SH%$Y deal for all of us.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit.
We stayed in the WWII barracks in Nov-Jan 03' while getting ready to deploy.

Haha they have the same fucking WWII barracks down here at Bragg. All the NG guard guys stay there before deployements. I lived in them for a few months. Now my newest barracks room is a bloody hotel room...

Good thing they aren't coming here. There would be no one to take care of them. Post is empty with the 325 gone, 504 getting ready to leave and the 505 down in NO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#22]
That's what you get when you read the "french" press.  (Where's the garlic?)

They're always out to make us look like retards.

IMO: If you don't want footage of african-americans looting Nike-Town, then don't be looting Nike-Town.

Quoted:
By the way... they do not want to be called "refugees"...  
Go figure...
It also drives me nuts when folks try to make ordinary criminal acts as racist statements...

New race row rattles relief drive for hurricane victims
Agence France Presse.
Sun Sep 4,10:53 PM ET

African American leaders complained that it was racist to describe black Hurricane Katrina survivors as "refugees," as a new discrimination debate rattled the relief effort.

Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson rebuked the media for using the word, and also hit out at repeated use of footage of African American hurricane survivors looting shops in the anarchic days after the storm hit Monday.

Bruce Gordon, president and chief executive of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) meanwhile argued that some blacks risked being deprived their rights as American citizens.

Terming the poor, mainly black, people evacuated by air and bus from the terrible aftermath of Katrina as refugees "is insulting, it is racist, it does not describe American citizens," Jackson said.

"If you characterise them as refugees, it is someone other than citizens," he said. Aid agencies classify those who are forced to flee their homes but do not cross international borders as internally displaced people.

Jackson also hit out at the media for its coverage of looting and anarchy which broke out in downtown New Orleans, a majority-black city, after the storm hit.

Gordon said survivors of the hurricane had pleaded with him to tell people that they were not refugees.

"They are offended when you use that term to describe them, they see themselves as American citizens," he said.

"They have been reduced to a level that is below citizenship of the United States," he said, and called for a massive government funding relief effort.

"The benchmark should be 9/11," he said calling for a massive influx of federal cash to rehabilitate victims.

Gordon said poor, African Americans had been disproportionately impacted by the tragedy, and complained about conditions in shelters elsewhere in Louisiana, as well as in Texas, where many have been sent.

"People don't want to live like this, they don't have to live like this," said Gordon, after he visited packed evacuee holding centers in Baton Rouge, 70 miles (110 kilometers) from New Orleans.

Gordon said the NAACP had identified small churches within a 250-mile (400-kilometer) radius of New Orleans to provide more suitable accommodation.

And he claimed that black people in places like Biloxi, Mississippi, heavily hit by Hurricane Katrina, were being ignored.

"I see no signs of Red Cross, I see no signs of FEMA," (Federal Emergency Management Agency."

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, however dismissed claims that black people were discriminated against in the mass evacuation ahead of Katrina's deadly surge ashore.

"I don't believe for one minute that anybody allowed people to suffer because they were African-Americans. I just don't believe it," Rice said during a visit to her native Alabama to survey the damage.

Rice, the highest-ranking African-American in the cabinet of President George W. Bush, however agreed that some people in black-majority New Orleans could not evacuate because they were poor.

"I am an African American. I am from Alabama. I can tell you that this response is not a response about color. This is a response about Americans helping Americans," she said.

Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi were worst hit by Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into the Gulf Coast last Monday leaving thousands feared dead and most of New Orleans under water.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My question is why aren't they being housed over at the old Sand Point Naval Base in Seattle?  Plenty of room there and no security concerns.

Oh wait, that's right next to that upscale Windermere neighborhood.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Bad boy,
Bad boy,
What'cha gonna do.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My question is why aren't they being housed over at the old Sand Point Naval Base in Seattle?  Plenty of room there and no security concerns.

Also no access to Muslum, or Voo-Doo house's of relegion.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Heard rumor that they are going to put some up in the old Geiger Base Housing area, The AF cleared everyone out last year and were going to sell it now they will let refugees trash it and sell it for 1/2 price .
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#27]

State not likely to get large number of evacuees

By Seattle Times staff

OLYMPIA — Washington is not likely to get a large number of evacuees from Hurricane Katrina, Gov. Christine Gregoire said today.

State officials had offered shelter for up to 2,000 evacuees driven from their Gulf Coast homes by last week's hurricane.

But Gregoire, after a conference call with Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and other governors, said large groups of evacuees were not likely to come to Washington any time soon.

"Secretary Chertoff said there are now no mass evacuations to other states imminent," Gregoire said in a statement.

Gregoire noted, however, that small numbers of evacuees have arrived in Washington on their own and are seeking assistance. She urged them to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Red Cross officials in Western Washington reported yesterday that dozens of people fleeing Katrina had begun showing up at the charity's offices looking for help.

State emergency management officials at Camp Murray, south of Tacoma, said they could use extra time to prepare for any future possible evacuations to Washington.

Large groups of evacuees had been expected to arrive tomorrow at the earliest, and plans had called for them to stay at military bases for the immediate future.

"Folks down there understandably prefer to stay as close to the gulf as possible, and we are anything but close," Gregoire spokeswoman Althea Cawley-Murphree said. "They appreciate the generous offer, but are not feeling a need to accept it."

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone got a big pump???

I would like to flood my neighorhood and get rid of the refugees....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
We got a lawful order this morning that we are to have no contact with the refugees.  They are supposed to be identical to Iraqi or Afghani refugees, and completely avoided by soldiers on Ft. Lewis.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also no access to Muslum, or Voo-Doo house's of relegion.

Who the hell are YOU trying to kid??!?!?!

They'll make room for those on the Chapel schedule, just like they did Wiccan services.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#31]
The so called "black leaders" are racist, hate mongers, bent on deception to ignite civil unrest for their own political gain, at the expense of those they claim to represent. but that's just my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top