Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 4:44:53 PM EDT
Cascade Pawn's LAST DAY in business was today.  I had my checkbook handy and did some shopping.
Picked up some ammo, a magazine for the Mini Cougar, a couple of  Bore Snakes and some Shoot-n-C targets.

I bought a case/1000-rds. of Olympic 55-gr. / .223 and 4  140-rd. battle packs of South African 147-gr. .308.

Is this 'OK' for plinking ammo and should I 'police' my brass for later reloading or trading purposes?
Thanks for the assist.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the Olympic is crap.  The South African is fine.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldnt shoot Olympic 5.56 on a dare after some of the horror stories I have read in the Ammo section here.

The SA 308 is good stuff though.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Dunno about the Olympic, never tried it - I'm fussy with what I put in my Colt.

The South African stuff I have fired, and I have a friend at work who uses it without any issues, and in fact he suggested it as good FAL fodder.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Main Olympic Ammo thread....

And I know how fussy Busman is with his rifles, I bet a dollar after reading the above, he never shoots that through his.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I can help with the proper disposal of that Olympic
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah right!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure the South African 308 is Berdan Primed.

I've looked in the spent cases and I see two holes.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the South African 308 is Berdan Primed.

I've looked in the spent cases and I see two holes.

Mike

Man, I REALLY wanna say something inappropriate with that one...but, I'm kinda on probation around here.

After a cursory glance at the link provided by CavVet, I'm wondering if there's a correlation between the words GREEK and $HIT...

Here's what the boxes say:
Bullet Type: FMJ M 193
Non-corrosive

Here's what the cartridge case is stamped with:
MPA '01 5.56x45

The ammo LOOKS good...

Now, I imagine, I'll have to FINALLY, actually CLEAN my guns!  ...and install the little psuedo-D-rings and TRY this ammo!
Whaddaya think?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Now, I imagine, I'll have to FINALLY, actually CLEAN my guns!  ...and install the little psuedo-D-rings and TRY this ammo!
Whaddaya think?

Bring along a cleaning rod...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

After a cursory glance at the link provided by CavVet, I'm wondering if there's a correlation between the words GREEK and $HIT...

30-06 HXP is good stuff though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'll help too!!

I sure don't want anyone having to shoot shitty ammo in thier ARs. But I'll be a test case and shoot it in mine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whaddaya think?

Bring along a cleaning rod...

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
OK for the cleaning rod.
It seems most of the negative posts on the Olympic were for the SS109, not the M193.
Of course, I don't know the difference, and that's why I posted this topic.

Oy...I hope I didn't buy crappy ammo X 1,000
It might turn out to be a lifetime supply for my Remington XP-100R!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It might turn out to be a lifetime supply for my Remington XP-100R!

And thats not a bad option at all.

I know I would hate like hell to lose one of my AR's after already reading bad news on that situation. And it could be worse.

Now dont you feel all better after talking this over with us?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Shot several South Afticans in my AR without failure.   However, they leave a nasty and dirty "coating" that rendered my AR10 useless after 900 rounds or so during an IPSIC class...

So, advice.  Good for plincking but clean your rifle very well after use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top