Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2005 12:50:15 AM EDT
Been thinking about taking the wife and kids(ages 3 and 5) hiking somewhere. Probably a day trip would be best. Anyone know of some good hikes around? It has to be soemthing easy enough for the kids, and something not too long. 5 or so miles roundtrip would be good I think. Preferably with something to look at at the end of the trail. Glacier, hot springs, something like that. Anyone have any ideas?

PS- Don't tell MsK. She hates the outdoors, so I'll have to trick her.
[kooter] Come family, we are going to walmart[/kooter]
[MsK]uhhhhh....since when does it take an hours drive to get to walmart?[/MsK]
[kooter]We're taking the scenic route.......shit we just ran out of gas. Time for a little walk[/kooter]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you just ask these fine folks?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Well...just a few more miles down the road from where we do the GF shoot there is a glacier hike.  The kids and I do it quite frequently.  There are numerous hikes on the Mt. Loop Highway there in Granite Falls.  There is a ranger station in Verlot on Mt. Loop that has informationals on hikes, camping, etc.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Kooter
You been up to the Old Snoqualmie Train Tunnel? Its flat and a couple of miles long. I went there with some friends and all of our kids (ages 4-8 at the time) The kids loved it!!! Bring flashlights for the kids....they will think its cool!
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Both of those sound like good hikes. I will check into them more. Thanks

Anybody have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
What area of Western Washington?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#8]
You could hike her ass over to my house where her and MRSscrun can indulge themselves in laundry, cooking and cleaning while we drink some beers and eat sammiches.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You could hike her ass over to my house where her and MRSscrun can enjoy Back Rubs & Foot massages from us fine men, and then watch while we do laundry, cooking and cleaning .

There, that's better......
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#10]
A really nice area to hike is up around Paradise. We've taken the nieces and nephews up there several times. Even if you don't get to hike very far its still great. Awesome views.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Urban Hiking?  I hear Seattle’s great for a freak show, and it will serve as a lesson for the kids to stay on the right path.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You could hike her ass over to my house where her and MRSscrun can enjoy Back Rubs & Foot massages from us fine men, and then watch while we do laundry, cooking and cleaning .

WOman!  Get back in that kitchen and make us all some smamiches!

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice try, but no thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well...just a few more miles down the road from where we do the GF shoot there is a glacier hike.  The kids and I do it quite frequently.  There are numerous hikes on the Mt. Loop Highway there in Granite Falls.  There is a ranger station in Verlot on Mt. Loop that has informationals on hikes, camping, etc.

I'm not sure if it's the same hike or not, but there is also a hike to the old mining town of Monte Cristo.  Out past Granite.  But please remember.  Where ever you go, please remember to bring a map!
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're military, go to Jim Creek NRS in Arlington.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park...Right behind my house!

http://www.metrokc.gov/gis/vmc/Recreation.htm
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You been drinkin tonight MrsScrun?

What area of Western Washington?

Anywhere within 3 hours-ish of Lacey.

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club  

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want to start small, then, believe it or not, you can go to downtown Renton.  There is an urban trail along the river that runs from about Maple Valley Golf Course all the way to Lake Washington at the Boeing Plant.  Trail is below street level, fairly prettyand quiet, lots of ducks,etc. Perfect for 3 to 5 year old.

On the side east of 405 it is more natural and goes through the trees.  On the west side it goes through downtown then through the Boeing plant and past the airport. There is a pretty nice picninc area there with bathrooms and I think a small playground.
At the end of the trail on the lake is a place you can rent kayaks/canoes.

It is also close to WalMart!!!

You can test out their stamina here before you take 'em to the woods.

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey Tweak, where did you get that map? I would love to get my hands on one of those.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey Tweak, where did you get that map? I would love to get my hands on one of those.

You can buy them over at the DNR place in West Olympia for $2.50.

Tweak, I want to take them on a hike to go see something at the end of the trail. Not just go walk around the woods. I haven't studied my capitol forest map lately, but I don't think there is anything to go see at the end of any of the trails.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I've seen some of these detail topography hiking maps you can buy at Adventure Sports-Guns
in Edmonds (off Hwy 99)
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#25]
There is always.....THE BEACH!
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Too bad the glacier is missing.
Damn global warming and George Bush!

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Lake Kelcema on the mt loop hiway out of granite falls.  Independance lake on the same hiway.  Kelcema has always been a favorite of mine.  Bout 1/4 to 1/2 mile hike, easy, scenic, subalpine, beautiful clear lake at the end.  Used to be boy scout or something of the sort lodge but it burned fifty + yrs ago.  Forest service road,ie: good.  Ice caves at Big Four pretty good, maybe too much for liitle guys, tho.  Whole area was my stompin grounds till the time we drove out of an abandoned quarry after shooting with the kids.  Pulled out onto the washed out logging access road and just about hit captain spandex riding his bicycle.  That did it for me.  But the hiking is still primo. ms
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Drats!  
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I want to take them on a hike to go see something at the end of the trail.

Thought about geo-caching?

I don't have a GPS
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to take them on a hike to go see something at the end of the trail.

Thought about geo-caching?

I don't have a GPS

You could pick up a GPS and have a chance to win a Jeep.

We are right about your time limit but like Da_Bunny said your could come out to the beach, if you do let me know we could get together and shoot hike and pick up shells on the beach, lots of fun for the little ones.

DD
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I use a Etrex Vista GPS for goecatching and last Father day, me and daughter hike Fremont Lookut at Mt. Rainier.  U enter through Sunrise Visitor Area.  Awesome views of glaciers, cliffs, mountains!  Excellent trail for beginners including young kids and wifes (or partners).

I'm trying to get together the fatties at work to do some hike with me, so far I've been unsuccesful.  

Dammit!
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Mt. Rainier area has TONS of hiking areas.  Also Olympic Coast, do the 2nd beach hike.  It's family friendly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista but I'm technically challenged when it comes to using the damn thing. I've been thinking about doing some Geocacheing to force me to use the darn thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I would not hike in the woods with children. Population of cougar is exploding in last few years after hound ban. Cougars rarely go after large adults. They do look too big to be an easy meal. Children on the other hand are perfect snack size in eyes of cougar.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Krispy Kreme for the fatties?  Like Put it on a fishing pole and have em chasing for it?

GPS do drain batteries and the adapter I have is for the car.  Works real well.  I have rechargable NIMH batteries bought from COSTCO and works great also, You might need to bring two sets.
GPS are a biatch to learn to use so you will need to read the manual.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top