Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 5:33:28 PM EDT
Well I decided to go shooting today...  So I packed up a bunch of gear, ammo, guns, and burned a CD of Alizee (sorry I have a huge thing for her) and headed for Greenwater.  I got to Greenwater and stopped at the General store for fuel, and snacks.

Greenwater General Store
                 W121 39.459'
Elevation:  1689ft

Okay I got fuel, and snacks and now its on to FSRoad 72.  To get to the entrance you follow HWY 410 up until you see the sign (the road is on the left).  The cool thing is it is exactly 1hr and 15 mins from my house in Tacoma to this road.

FS Road 72
                 W121 35.101'
Elevation:  2102ft

Headed up FSRoad 72 and stopped at these awesome view points of the Mt. Rainer area:  NICE!!

W121 34.302'
Elevation:  3522ft

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Another great view on the way up:

W121 33.992'
Elevation:  3910ft

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Another awesome view on the other side of the hill:

W121 32.625'
Elevation:  4700ft
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay here is one of those snow/glacial lakes up on top.  This is easily accessed from a trail head located at:

N47 04929'
W121 32.464'
Elevation: 4694ft

Here is an awesome viewpoint of the lake.  BTW, if you shoot here you will be fined $1000.00.  I met the Sherriff up there and he warned me about it as I was BSing with him.

W121 32.527'
Elevation:  4719ft
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay I finally arrived at the Pit.  Its located on the right.  For you GPS guys here are the numbers

W121 31.223'
Elevation:  4481ft

Here are some pics of the pit.

BTW if you ever go up there I measured off with a tape from this rock to the berm with the white boxes is exactly 50yds.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot a .25" steel plate from 50yds with Spanish SS109.  Yup it put holes in it

The cool thing about this next pic is you can see the penetrator imbeded int the steel plate

Nobody up there and it was good to get out away from the city life and spend some quality time alone in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good, thanks for the info.  Always looking for a place to shoot when I visit my friend in Seattle.  A few questions if you don't mind:

1.Did you need 4WD to get up there?
2.The pit is 50 yards, any place else nearby with longer range?
3.The sheriff said you would be fined, why is that?

Edit:Don't want to shoot into the water, but what about in that area? (read your other post)

The GPS coordinates really help, make sure I don't get lost.  Also I am a Moi Alizee fan also.  Just waiting for some new material....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Looks good, thanks for the info.  Always looking for a place to shoot when I visit my friend in Seattle.  A few questions if you don't mind:

1.Did you need 4WD to get up there?
2.The pit is 50 yards, any place else nearby with longer range?
3.The sheriff said you would be fined, why is that?

Edit:Don't want to shoot into the water, but what about in that area? (read your other post)

The GPS coordinates really help, make sure I don't get lost.  Also I am a Moi Alizee fan also.  Just waiting for some new material....

In the pit you could probably get out to 150-200yds depending on how high you wanted to walk up the hill and place your targets.  The Sheriff stated the lake is visited by alot of hikers and didn't want anyone shooting around it and would invoke a 1000 fine.  I dunno, I didn't ask.  I pretty much just wanted him to leave if ya know what I mean...  Oh, and no I didn't need 4WD.  That road is so well maintained a low rider car could go up there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
hmmmm, I had heard they shut Greenwater down. You talked to a sheriff and he said it was cool? 30 minutes from my shop, lets go!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#10]
You basically can't shoot where it is posted, and you must be at least 150ft off the road.  I guess if you leave garbage behind, ie. brass, targets, trash, etc you will be fined $1000.00.  Just make sure you clean up your junk.  FS Road 70 is pretty much completely closed to all shooting thanks to dumb-asses that like to shoot TV's, and refrigerators and then just leave the crap behind.  I just go up FS road 72.  It goes way back there and you can find a few places to shoot in there.  And yes, I cleaned up my targets, and brass.    
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool pix!  It's nice to know there are still places to go up there.  I won't be too much longer before the snow sets in though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Cool pix!  It's nice to know there are still places to go up there.  I won't be too much longer before the snow sets in though.

Nothing better than a good pair of showshoes, a full daypack and a carbine...

Cleans out your mind, it is so quiet you can hear the snow falling, then you look into the tree line and see a cayote. You have the choice...Do you take the shot, or not?...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cleans out your mind, it is so quiet you can hear the snow falling, then you look into the tree line and see a cayote. You have the choice...Do you take the shot, or not?...

Bah... How about riding a snowmobile and using Tannerite for avalanche control....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bah... How about riding a snowmobile and using Tannerite for avalanche control....

Hey man, to each his own!....(but if you go, let me know, it sounds like fun!)
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome! Great pics too. The day I went it was overcast and slight misting of rain but no biggy. I deffinately didn't get the views you did though.

I am in Puyallup (S Hill) and take the back way in to Buckley through Orting and S Prairie and it takes me about an hour to get to the 72 sign. The drive is nice this time of year and the traffic is a lot easier to deal with. Hopefully people police their crap and they don't post this place too.

Did you notice the red party cups everywhere?

I hope I can make it to the shoot on the 23rd. After going up there I really want to get back out  and play some more. :)
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Greenwater is nice, I took some pics (http://photos.yahoo.com/mpampo) when I went up there last summer.  I go up there every now and then but not to shoot since I never know where it's legal to shoot in the area.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 for the shooting spot with directions, pics, and GPS coordinates.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice... Very nice... I'll have to check it out when it thaws.
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Jason C.

I just saw this post for the first time -- funny how a place will rivet your attention if you've seen it in the past.

I used to do the bike ride around Ranier every year w/ a buddy, and have ridden past that Greenwater store several times..   I didn't recognize it at first -- Just stared at it for a few...   I guess every inch of that valley is burned  into my brain!   [I'm on the Eastern end of the state]

Thanks for the great panorama & views of Mt. Ranier.   Nice SS109 artwork.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#20]
err, lack of sleep -- i posted wrong, sorry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top