Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 1:16:05 PM EDT
I am not a resident of Washington, but my parents have just moved there and will (hopefully) live out the rest of thier days there.  I am interested in getting a concealed carry permit for the state, so I can carry while I'm up there.  The problem I have is I don't know how to go about applying and was wondering if anyone else has already. I know they issue to non-residents, but is that a non-resident living in Washington? Or is that to anyone anywhere who applies.  I have e-mailed them, but havn't heard back yet. I have no problem going down to my local police station and having fingerprints done, but actually going to Washington to do that is out of the question for now.

Rayn
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know you have to appear and apply in person, they don't issue CPLs by mail.

Contact the Local PD or county sheriff where your parents are living for more details.  I'd give them a phone call myself.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You must apply in perrson. The issuing authority has 60 days to investigate you. If they cannot find cause for you to be disqualified, they must issue one.

I looked it up at Packing.org.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#3]
ok, thanks, my question was really the "Apply in person" thing.

Thanks all,
Rayn
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I will be doing some camping in Oregon.  What's the rule with bringing a CCW in Oregon State?
I have a CCW permit here in WA.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I will be doing some camping in Oregon.  What's the rule with bringing a CCW in Oregon State?

A WA CPL isn't any good in OR.

If you want to legally CCW in OR you'll need to get an OR license.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A WA CPL isn't any good in OR.

If you want to legally CCW in OR you'll need to get an OR license.

And OR has stiffer requirements than WA.  Don't you need a class or someshit?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]
got to packing.org   lotsa info on each, state including which give u reciprocity.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
OR is a shall issue state for residents. For non-residents, of
contiguous states only, it's still discretionary issue.

Non-residents can go to any county sheriff, but it's discretionary.

Non-resident permits are fully discretionary.

ORS 166.291 (8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement
in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous
state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate
demonstrated need.

The word "may" is rather important in this context.

Compare that language to the resident part of the ORS:

ORS 166.291 (1) The sheriff of a county, upon a person's application
for an Oregon concealed handgun license, upon receipt of the
appropriate fees and after compliance with the procedures set out in
this section, shall issue the person a concealed handgun license if
the person...

That "shall issue" makes all the difference.

Clatsop County Sheriff's Office in Astoria used to be the place for WA residents to go as their best bet for getting an OR CPL, but word has it that some folks have recently contacted Clatsop County and were asked to direct their queries and applications elsewhere: it wasn't that the attitude has changed,
but they've been flooded with requests.

It wouldn't hurt to much to give them a call, say you're DaBunny, and ask them about applying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top