Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 9:20:12 AM EDT
Feds order new level of security for ferries -Seattle Times

Random ferry searches 'likely' to meet federal security guidelines -Seattle PI

So they're going to force the state to do random vehicle searches. The best line was in the PI article:
"Steve Reinmuth, assistant attorney general, and the three officials said the searches are constitutional because the state has an official federal order."

Just cause the feds say something doesn't make it constitutional all of a sudden.

What's going to happen when they open the trunk of my car and find 3 AR15's, a couple .22's and a bunch of ammo? And then realize I'm actually carrying *gasp* a gun!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a letter that I got from the AG's office.
The State Patrol, the Ferry System and the Coast Guard both agree with the AG's letter.

Legal to own guns and ammunition will not be a problem.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
they are not looking for guns
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Small quantity of ammunition? How about 5k rounds?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The dogs will alert on gunpowder, but re-enacters often carry kegs of powder for their cannons and hold events on the islands.

Random searches are unlawful, the ferries are a part of the DOT and the right to travel is supposed to be protected by the constitution.

The tyranny has to be resisted.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The dogs will alert on gunpowder, but re-enacters often carry kegs of powder for their cannons and hold events on the islands.

Random searches are unlawful, the ferries are a part of the DOT and the right to travel is supposed to be protected by the constitution.

The tyranny has to be resisted.

1968 WSSC ruling held that the ferries were an extension of the state highways and therefore the state could spend gas tax money on ferries.

So we have random searches of people on the state highway system.  One of those two has to change.  They couldn't search cars randomly on the narrows bridge.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the most serious issue becuase it is not about inconvenience and humiliation of searches but the ability to defend yourself and the nation.

In order to be free, in order to be secure, you must be armed, but just as important is the ability to keep your property private and away from prying eyes, and if the right to travel is denied then the people become prisoners in their own land.

These illegal searches are not about security they are about control and the destruction of a free nation.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
"They" did it on the Coronado bridge, the Oakland Bay bridge and the Golden Gate bridge.

Quoted:
They couldn't search cars randomly on the narrows bridge.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
They should also do their random searches on both the I-90 and 520 bridges...  let's say, perhaps beginning at around 6:00 AM and again at about 3:30 PM
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They should also do their random searches on both the I-90 and 520 bridges...  let's say, perhaps beginning at around 6:00 AM and again at about 3:30 PM

Don't say that so loud, you might give them an idea!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top