Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 11:28:55 PM EDT
I heard on the radio this am, after the first seat belt ruling , where the law was declared unconstitutional, there have been two more judges ruling against the law.

I for one am VERY glad. I dot want a nanny state, and I think Darwin must be allowd to flourish!

TY smart judges!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Great! I agree about the nanny state, and also feel that LE shouldn't be given free rein to just pull over anyone they want, for no other reason than "it appeared the defendant wasn't wearing a seatbelt."

By no means am I saying that most LE personnel would abuse the law that way, but it sure doesn't make it any more difficult for the few who might.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard on the radio that either the King Co or Seattle PD(can't remember which) is going to continue to issue seatbelt citations anyway.  The general gist of it was if it is unconstitutional then take it to court to have the ticket dropped.  They will continue to issue the tickets anyway!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I heard on the radio that either the King Co or Seattle PD(can't remember which) is going to continue to issue seatbelt citations anyway.  The general gist of it was if it is unconstitutional then take it to court to have the ticket dropped.  They will continue to issue the tickets anyway!

This only changes my life in one way.

Now they can kiss my Constitutional Red White & Blue ass.

I wont wear them, I will smile and take the ticket gracefully, but WILL advise them at the time of the infraction;

"Sir, I tried to read the Seatbelt law, it is vague and hard to understand, and I Shall take this to court on the grounds it is unconstitutional"

"Need a pen"?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
This is old news, from March 20th, but I think it sums up a few things:
Police issue enough seat-belt tickets to get 2 radar guns

The traffic commission, a state agency, awarded $1,000 grants to law-enforcement agencies that wrote at least 100 seat-belt citations in August and September under Washington's new seat-belt law. It also promised individual officers a $60 model replica of their cruisers if they cited at least 40 people for failure to wear seat belts.

The campaign was paid for with federal money that also paid overtime for agencies which assigned officers exclusively to seat-belt enforcement, Ward said.

The Washington State Patrol, whose troopers wrote nearly 41,000 seat-belt tickets from June through December 2002, did not participate in the incentive program but did receive federal money for overtime for its part in the campaign.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top