Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2021 5:00:16 PM EDT
A family member was arrested for some amazingly stupid things involving a motor vehicle. One of their charges is 5  3714  B careless driving unintentional death. My reading of the law is that this means they killed someone. However, the person in jail is insisting they did not and this charge is there because they "accidentally drove on a sidewalk and it was careless". This individual deserves to be in jail. I just want to make sure we are getting the truth.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
So they drove up on the sidewalk and (unintentionally?) hit someone who eventually died as a result?
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say you are not getting the truth.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
sooo, what does the lawyer say?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe OP is the one in jail?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope, not in jail. He had a lawyer but I don't know if they stuck with him. His ex wife is adamant he killed someone. She is the one who walked us through looking up his docket. He is denying that anything other than property was damaged. It's kind of like a bad soap opera with my wife and in laws caught in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, but something doesn't smell right.

Careless driving resulting in an unintentional death is a summary charge (traffic ticket) with a fine of $500. Basically, a slap on the wrist.

If someone was killed, there would be more serious charges.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#7]
What are the other charges?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:43:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Careless driving resulting in an unintentional death is a summary charge (traffic ticket) with a fine of $500. Basically, a slap on the wrist.

View Quote

No, homicide by vehicle would be the more serious charge then unintentional.  homicide by vehicle charge calls for 'reckless and/or gross negligence' on the part of the driver. The Pennsylvania appellate courts have consistently held that mere negligence is insufficient to support a Homicide by Vehicle charge.

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Subsection B was added a few years ago, is not a summary.

If he was charged with this, someone died from his careless driving (or Allegedly did)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top