Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2020 10:29:04 AM EDT
Legal NY Pistol Permit holder here. I just called Potter County Sherriff's office and the (shockingly nice) woman I spoke with told me the Governor shut down all permits as of mid-March 2020? Pretty weird times. All I want is to legally be able to take my pistol to the camp range in the future. Times are tough and times are most definitely times are weird. God Bless America.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You can go to a range and shoot pistols without having a LTCF, if that is what you are referring to.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no permit required to possess or shoot a handgun at the range in PA.  It’s not like NY where you need to have guns listed on your permit or any of that be. LTCF is required for concealed carry, otherwise you can just take it to the range cased/unloaded and do your thing.

Secondly I’m not sure why they told you licenses were shut down since March, I just received my PA non resident ltcf about a month ago(I’m from ny also). I received it in the mail exactly one week after applying
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Well you dont need a LTCF permit to shoot at a range... as stated.

Some counties will not issue an out of state LTCF at all, but thats been the norm for years.... The lady is mistaken, sort of. Back in March, 5 counties illegally stopped issuing new permits because of covid. I am pretty sure that has all been rectified. Potter county was not one of those 5 anyway.

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I called the County Clerk in Coudersport and she stated I needed to call the Potter County Sheriff's office. I told her I was a NYS resident, who had a pistol permit. I said I wanted to get a PA pistol permit and she stated Gov. Wolf stopped allowing permits back in March XX. I asked her if she knew when they would be back online and she said I would need to look at the website for updates. I then asked how it worked and if I would be able to bring my pistol across state lines to go to camp and she advised me that I do not. Weird.

Website says:

***WE ARE NOT BE PROCESSING ANY NON-RESIDENT PISTOL PERMITS YET. PLEASE WATCH FOR UPDATES . WHEN WE START, WE WILL BE PROCESSING THEM BY MAIL.***

https://pottercountypa.net/post.php?pid=18
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I called the County Clerk in Coudersport and she stated I needed to call the Potter County Sheriff's office. I told her I was a NYS resident, who had a pistol permit. I said I wanted to get a PA pistol permit and she stated Gov. Wolf stopped allowing permits back in March XX. I asked her if she knew when they would be back online and she said I would need to look at the website for updates. I then asked how it worked and if I would be able to bring my pistol across state lines to go to camp and she advised me that I do not. Weird.

Website says:

***WE ARE NOT BE PROCESSING ANY NON-RESIDENT PISTOL PERMITS YET. PLEASE WATCH FOR UPDATES . WHEN WE START, WE WILL BE PROCESSING THEM BY MAIL.***

https://pottercountypa.net/post.php?pid=18
View Quote
you do not have to get a out of state permit in the county of your destination.  I would check another county.

I think her info is wrong about the pistol.  call the state police to verify, or call the law offices of Josh Prince
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Pa is an open carry state. Just open carry
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pa is an open carry state. Just open carry
View Quote

Unless you have a LTCF you aren't open carrying during a state of emergency without running the risk of being prosecuted under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6107, which a violation of is a misdemeanor of the first degree, which is a federally prohibiting offense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top