Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2018 5:00:56 PM EDT
I need some help.
I'm unfamiliar with the PA inspection system but have to get a pick up inspected.
In PA it's private shops, right?
Do you need an appointment or can you just show up and wait your turn?
Do they work weekends?
Approximately how much for a pick up inspection?
Can anybody recommend a shop near the Delaware Water Gap Rt80?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need some help.
I'm unfamiliar with the PA inspection system but have to get a pick up inspected.
In PA it's private shops, right? You can get an inspection at any car repair place that is licensed to do so (dealerships to the smallest dirt floor shops)

Do you need an appointment or can you just show up and wait your turn? You should make an appointment for an inspection as you would for any other vehicle service.

Do they work weekends?
Approximately how much for a pick up inspection? I think inspection and emission stickers are like $30 a piece, not including any work that is necessary to pass inspection.

Can anybody recommend a shop near the Delaware Water Gap Rt80?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I need some help.
In PA it's private shops, right?  yes
Do you need an appointment or can you just show up and wait your turn? shops work either way. i would make an appointment
Do they work weekends? if they are open
Approximately how much for a pick up inspection? price varies, but $79 for both  safety and emissions is about the high end.
Can anybody recommend a shop near the Delaware Water Gap Rt80? i cant, its not my end of the state.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it done, and what a pain in the ass.
Decided to go to Easton instead of the Gap.
Called a Meineke shop yesterday and all was good to go, or so I thought.
I get there and the owner says he's out of stickers and the stupid girl who answered the phone fucked up.
An inspection finder app led me to two closed shops and a third which closed as I pulled up. That guy suggested a fourth shop, which got me done in an hour and a half at $60 + tax.
At least it will go easier next year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea if you dont know where to go it can be a pain in the ass.  I would ask around for a good locally owned place.  If you try to go somewhere like Firestone, PEP Boys, Meineke, or other chains they will put you through the wringer with a bunch of shit you dont need and charge 2x the amount a small independent shop would. I was out of town and my wife needed her oil changed and i just told her to go somewhere.  She took it to a Firestone and they told her she needed all kinds of unnecessary shit.  The best part is they said her brakes could fail any day and cause an accident.  I checked them and they had like 75% life left
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I had my PA Inspection License for 10 years. Gave it up this year. It's getting to be such a headache, and with the new rules and costs regarding recertification, cost of inspection stickers, etc., expect to see less independent shops doing inspections and more of the shadier places like the ones listed above.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad I don't need emissions in my county. Looks like the last two inspections I've had cost $30.95.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top