Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2014 7:24:47 AM EDT
I bought the 16" rra 9mm Ar complete years ago, can i convert it into a pistol without re- registering the lower?
If i go short barrel , new buffer tube and vertical am i gtg?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Safe answer no you can't , and unless you are talking NFA firearms there is no such thing as registering or registering the receiver.

The ATF has been back and forth with this issue with conflicting rulings that don't make practical sense.  

You can build a pistol or rifle from a stripped receiver.
You can build a rifle out of a pistol and convert it back to a pistol.
You CANNOT build a pistol out of a firearm  "originally assembled or
produced only as a rifle"

And to make it even more confusing, a firearm can be sold as "parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a
rifle" In this case parts can be freely swapped back an forth as long as they are never assembled in a condition with meets NFA criteria of an AOW or SBR.

ETA:  You also cannot put a vertical fore-grip on a pistol.  That makes it fall under the AOW category.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
U could buy a new stripped lower and rebuild lower but y do 16" bbl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top