Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2011 9:10:19 AM EDT
As soon as I heard the words "$550 million cut in education funding"... I knew my local school district, and others state wide, would immediately start with threats of reassessment, and property tax increases. I figured that was a given. By noon today, it became reality.

School districts just don't get it (The concept of budget cuts and reduced spending/handouts) -  what they will get is more taxes from us at the local level,  because we have a fucked up state constitution that gives them to power to increase our taxes at will.
What the hell is the point in announcing budges cuts, if the school district(s) immediately go after us at the local level ? Only thing that accomplishes is Corbett gets to stick with his pledge to not raise (at the state level) our taxes. Douche-Bag knew that when
he announced his plan yesterday. Let's see if he has a plan to help us at the local level.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As soon as I heard the words "$550 million cut in education funding"... I knew my local school district, and others state wide, would immediately start with threats of reassessment, and property tax increases. I figured that was a given.

School districts just don't get it (The concept of budget cuts and reduced spending/handouts) -  what they will get is more taxes from us at the local level,  because we have a fucked up state constitution that gives them to power to increase our taxes at will.
What the hell is the point in announcing budges cuts, if the school district(s) immediately go after us at the local level ? Only thing that accomplishes is Corbett gets to stick with his pledge to not raise (at the state level) our taxes. Douche-Bag knew that when
he announced his plan yesterday. Let's see if he has a plan to help us at the local level.

Like ELIMINATING property tax?? Don't hold your breath...
That's the only thing that'll help, IMHO.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Every school district, township, and municipality in the state is out of control.

My sewage bill just went up $18,  now it's $118 a month...for sewage.  Township right next door?  $50 a quarter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Our Governments at ALL levels have by and large grown way too large..It's nice that he is not going to raise taxes or impose any more fees upon residents or businesses. The state looks like it is (and should be) "tightening up it's belt". Now the local Govt's have to reel it in a little bit.
The Governor is proposing cutting loot from both the local schools and higher ed. Are they thinking about cutting their expeditures? No, they are bitching and the liberal students are going to protest.No offense to teachers, but they are spending a shit ton more on edcucation costs per student, and there really aren't that great of results. Except, more teachers making more money. In that, maybe the schools should re think what they are doing, but they won't.
It would be nice if somebody would have the stones to cut back all of the public assistance money though. The money that gets wasted on people who are perfectly able to work sickens me.
With the way the rest of the economy is, it would be great if government at all of the levels would just quit wasting so much of OUR money.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Every school district, township, and municipality in the state is out of control.

My sewage bill just went up $18,  now it's $118 a month...for sewage.  Township right next door?  $50 a quarter.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
My brother lives in PA.  I bet he's pissed.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're lucky you only have one sewage bill! We have two of them, the newest one is for modernization.
I don't blame our Governor for the cuts to the states budget. I rather blame the citizens who are and have been uninvolved in the local and state level policy's. Yes I mean every Tom, Dick and Harriet who doesn't attend School Board meetings and is uninvolved with State and Local Government politics.
Look at the problem from this perspective if you will. As Taxpayers/ Employers we are responsible for monitoring what our Servants/ Employees do, and like any employer who lets his employees run the business any way they want, that business will most surely be run into the ground. Oh you think we should be able to trust them, if that's what you think you are most naive!
Most of this commentary is general and not for you SDMF-Rebel.
I'm just sick of listening to bitter people who aren't involved in fixing the system. One day soon I think its going to be too late to fix the ship of state and its going to sink under its own financial dept. Then its sink or swim for each person individually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top