Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:37:42 AM EDT
I go to a public shooting range up by Ski Roundtop.

I was heartbroken to go there yesterday and see that some vandals with a shotgun had gone there and blew the targets to pieces. The posts coming out of the ground were shot in two. they also hit the pistol range and destoyed half of the targets there.

I would like everybody who uses this range to help me to catch these guys and to get wverybody to realize that it is our job to protect our range. If you see people doing things thet should'nt be doing ask them nicely to stop. People should'nt be hanging targets right on the posts as this just tears them up. I f the range gets too bad the state will shut it down because they don't want to put money into it.

I am going to try my best to go up there and repair what I can but since I am ic\n school I don't have the funds to buy all of the wood and materail for new backstops. I do have the tolls and I can make the time though so if anyone wants to make a donation of wood, backstop material, screws, nails, or even money just IM me and we can arrange something.

Thank you for reading this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not just public ranges. I belong to a rather expensive private range in Delaware county and I see the posts and baffles shot up all the time. Hard to understand.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Sadly, the damage you describe is all too common. The PGC has threatened to close down some of the ranges if this keeps up. I can't blame them. It costs money to replace the posts, backers, supports, etc. I would love to catch these idiots in the act.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
My private club's ranges have been vandalized many times.  Target stands shot to hell, benches stolen, brooms and dustpans for sweeping up brass taken.

Hell, the .10 targets were stolen and the guy that works there found a piece of gum on the end of a coat hanger trying to get the money out of the box.  Pathetic.

Now there are cameras there, you have to have an electronic card to enter and exit that facility, and guests are rarely allowed.  

Its improved a lot but it sucks that people would do these things.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
This is why I stopped going to PGA ranges.  Half the time I'd go there all the posts were shot down and it would be months before somebody put anything back.  It always tends to be shotguns that do the most damage.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
stop using public ranges.
they are unsafe,and draw a crowd that dosent care about the range at all.
you should join a private,reputable club with members who care(utopia?)
i belong to a very good club,and for the most part,we really dont have too many problems,and when they come up,are swiftly dealt with. if your public range is near round top,your only minutes away from west shore sportsmans,if you need any info on it,email me,as you sound like someone who cares,we are always looking for good people.id gladly sponsor your membership, and your efforts to offer to fix the public ranges target stands are commendable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Private ranges get this too.

Dipshits using birdshot on the pistol/rifle backers because they want to practice combat shooting with their shotguns. This is of course best done with steel, but if you provided that dipshits would chew up the steel with rifle fire.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a PA native, but I'm passing thru Quakerstown this weekend and looking for a place to shoot.

On topic: My range in NY,  I was helping the RO clean up (it's a 50ft pistol calibers, no magnum, no rifles above .22LR, no shotgun, no pistol calibers in rifles).

We found 1/2 doz  .223 shells, 12ga shotgun SLUG shells, a 308 shell, a couple of magnum shells (almost 2 doz) etc etc.

Parts of the backstop is chewed up badly too.

/ml
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#8]
What are you going to be shooting? Pistols i can recommend a indoor place on Mcarthur Rd in Whitehall about 5 miles north of the Rt22 exit. It should on your left. Youll see a large sign on a hill made of stones. Cheap,usually free of hoodlums and jerkoffs. You can bring your own ammo. Rifles the onyl place around that i can think of is Defcon 1. Its a indoor range/shop run by former Army Rangers. It is in Coopersburg on Rt 309 southbound lane.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What are you going to be shooting? Pistols i can recommend a indoor place on Mcarthur Rd in Whitehall about 5 miles north of the Rt22 exit. It should on your left. Youll see a large sign on a hill made of stones. Cheap,usually free of hoodlums and jerkoffs. You can bring your own ammo. Rifles the onyl place around that i can think of is Defcon 1. Its a indoor range/shop run by former Army Rangers. It is in Coopersburg on Rt 309 southbound lane.

Thanks!!!! Would they happen to have a tel #, or do you have their hours?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top