Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2005 5:16:46 PM EDT
I've heard that open carry in the city of Philadelphia is not permitted without a license. Are there any other regulations that are unique to Philly versus the rest of the state? I have a non-resident license to carry. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Philadelphia tried to ban CCW a few years ago.  

It got thrown out by the State Courts.

UnConstitutional.

State law applies to Philadelphia, even though Philadelphia thinks it can do whatever it wants.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless I'm mistaken, open carry in Philadelphia is not permitted, and that is in accordance with state law.  Something to do with an urban area with a population over some specified number.  Not sure about the specifics though.  www.packing.org is an excellent resourse for ccw issues.  Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Why in the world would you want to open carry in Philly????? Or anywhere else for that matter???
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no intention of open carrying instead of concealed carrying. I was using that as an example of one difference between the laws of Philadelphia and the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
To my knowledge, the open carry exclusion is the only difference between Phila and the rest of the State.  You might want to check Packing.org to be certain.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure about the legality of open carry in the city, but law or no law, the local LEO WILL jack you up...count on that if you 'were' to open carry there. I carry concealed there without issue.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not sure about the legality of open carry in the city, but law or no law, the local LEO WILL jack you up...count on that if you 'were' to open carry there. I carry concealed there without issue.

If you tried to open carry you would find yourself in the "Round House" eating cheese sandwiches.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
What about historic sights?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
No firearms in Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center or The Mint.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Well thanks for that info. I'm planning on seeing the sights this weekend...and getting some cheese steaks while I'm there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Since 911 there are metal dectors at most historic sites....  As for a cheese steak, try the following...Jim's Steaks
Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The State Legislature passed a specific law - NO Open carry in Class 1 cities.

Philadelphia is the only class 1 city.

CCW is fine.

I'd like to open carry for comfort, and I think it benefits the public to get used to seeing guns and armed folks.

I've done it a few times in York and outside of Pittsburgh, but it certainly isn't widely practiced and represents a risk to try it.   While legal (except Philly), you can still get cited for basically scaring the sheeple
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Its a myth that carrying openly can get you cited for "scaring the people", ie Disorderly Conduct.

§ 5503. Disorderly conduct.
(a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:

1) engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior;
2) makes unreasonable noise;
3) uses obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture; or
4) creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.

# 4 can't be used since open carry is a legitimate act (its not illegal)

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
In my next life I want to come back as a pro-bono lawyer for 2nd ammendment issues.  Til then friends, best to save enough for a retainer if you carry openly on the streets.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Its a myth that carrying openly can get you cited for "scaring the people", ie Disorderly Conduct.

Not according to the York County Regional Cop I just talked to.  

I asked  him what would happen if they got called in regards to open carry - he said it's likely they'd arrested based on that, assuming the person didn't cooperate and just go to concealed or remove the weapon.

Yes, cops don't know the laws - but they are the ones that put the handcuffs on
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I'm a LEO in NEPA and he's wrong. Tell him to re-read the crimes code and tell you how you would be arrested DC or where there is a law against open carry.

Open carry is a legitimate act.

And yes, there are LEOs out there that don't know what they are talking about (on certain laws). It makes the rest of us look bad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:27:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I think this is one of those activities that while technically legal, perhaps, is not prudent to do.  I wonder under what circumstances is open carry a wise course of action?

Hunting....yes  
Being openly armed while at a range or shooting event...yes  
Even while riding in your motor vehicle....yes  

But walking around the streets of a town, borough or city?  Sorry, I just don't see it.  I see only bad things ahead for the right to carry concealed if people begin to strongly excerise open carry.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think this is one of those activities that while technically legal, perhaps, is not prudent to do.  I wonder under what circumstances is open carry a wise course of action?

Hunting....yes  
Being openly armed while at a range or shooting event...yes  
Even while riding in your motor vehicle....yes  

But walking around the streets of a town, borough or city?  Sorry, I just don't see it.  I see only bad things ahead for the right to carry concealed if people begin to strongly excerise open carry.  

Regards,
Gary

I agree with you 100%. In todays society it's just a stupid thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not according to the York County Regional Cop I just talked to.  

I asked  him what would happen if they got called in regards to open carry - he said it's likely they'd arrested based on that, assuming the person didn't cooperate and just go to concealed or remove the weapon.

Yes, cops don't know the laws - but they are the ones that put the handcuffs on

That cop was wrong.  I've been supprised at the number of cops who really don't know the states laws very well.  The one consistant exception has been steve.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#20]
My father has a friend whose car was stolen. The police in philadelphia called him and told him they found the car, but would not send the police tow truck without at least two squad cars to this area (North Philly), and that they didn't have cars to spare. So, this guy took his Ar15 and slung it on his back, had a beretta 92f on his hip, and a Smith & Wesson model 60 in an ankle holster. He had his friend drive him to go pick up his car, and he was not harassed by the police.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! It is illegal to carry open in Philly, but I don't think anyone cared about it in this part of town.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
ONE Word makes a difference

Until a few years ago the law read that the local police MAY issue a carry permit if...... The law was changed to SHALL issue if..... because places like Philly had different rules than the rest of the State. With that one word change all that are legally allowed SHALL be issued a permit.

I'm no lawyer or Cop but this is how I understand it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top