Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 10:38:20 AM EDT
Well it is official - I am settling on a home in the Johnstown area next month.
Took a lot longer that I planned, but found a new home in Upper Yoder Township just outside of Westmont.

Anyone from that area???
Any shoots???
Any get-to-gethers???
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
9SC,

You poor individual, I hope you are going to make a pile of money.  I just moved here last spring.  J-town is a throw back in time.  Everything here is sloooooooowwwwwwww.    

I joined the Daiseytown Shooting club, about 3 miles from the Galleria Mall.  Only good thing about here is that it is cheap,  $20 yearly membership fee, if you are an NRA member.  

There are several shooting clubs within a few miles, and lots of public hunting land. It seems however, they killed off all the deer.  The game commission and hunters are battling some new chages that took place over the past three years.

post when you arrive, we can go shooting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
watch out for the flood!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the slooowwwnneeesss will be a change.
That I am looking forward to.
Currently living in Glen Burnie which is just south of Baltimore.
I'm soo looking forward to not sitting in traffic on the belt way.

I'll check into the range. I shoot USPSA and know of some of the matches in the area, but will be looking for more.

As for hunting, I gave that up when I left the area in 79.
I hear everyone complain about it, but my parents live about 20 miles away and have deer all over the place. Mom's new plants got eaten off last week and is she mad.

DvlDog - if the waters reach my new home I have a feeling a lot of people will be in boats before me.
Westmont area is at the top of the incline plane. Over 500 feet above the downtown area where the waters were only 30 feet deep in the worst one(1889). I don't think the area is going to get hit with another storm that dumps 11.82 " of rain in 10 hours for a while (1977). By the way I lived down river of the 77 flood and was a fireman.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I was there for business a few months and I was shocked how inexpensive housing was in that area.

Frank
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Used to go to up there for Vacation every summer for about 5 years. With one of my old girlfriends.

We went to a town called Sidmund . Might be spelled wrong.

It is very slow but if you could find work out there it was pretty cheap real estate wise. Dont know about now.

Her family had some land and it was fun to bring  the evil stuff up there to shoot.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
mdn,   I am building a house just outside of Sidman,  it is stillllllll  the same, nothing ever changes here.  

land and houses are cheap, no work, except the government jobs brought in by the congress man.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah it was really laid back . In a good way .

I knew I spelled it wrong lol.

Good luck on the build .  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to PA  hope your a republican we need the help here !
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll second that Gunrunner, I was starting to think I was all alone here in Pa as a repub
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Well you will be pleased to know that I am a voting republican.
I will now be able to counter my mom's vote.
My sister and I converted my dad years ago, but mom will not change.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Two days to go until I settle.
I'll be taking the month of July to move everything.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
sloooooooowwwwwwww, ever been to CoalPort?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Well it is official. Settled on the Maryland home last Tuesday and moved in.
Couldn't find the monitor until last night.
Guess it is time to update my prifile.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Let see if the profile did update.

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to Pennsylvania

Now your able to legally purchase and own all those so called "evil" goodies that are banned in MD
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
It wasn't so much that stuff was baned as it was they were restricted.
This means you have to go thru the same paperwork as a handgun (both the 4473 and state papers) and wait 7+ days to pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for clearing that up... I was under the impression that 30 round mags were "banned" Not "restricted"... Any how, its still alot easier for us gun owners to enjoy the freedoms of gun ownership here in PA
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I forgot about the no more than 20 round mags.
It was easy enough to go to a show in another state and buy them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well I forgot about the no more than 20 round mags.
It was easy enough to go to a show in another state and buy them.

Nothings easier than having them shipped right to the front door

And you mention a 7 day wait for a handgun, its instant here. Do the background check, pay for it, walk out the door with it
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#21]
9supercomp,

Welcome to Jtown.

Here are a few things Ive learned in the last year or so.

Gun Shops,

The big one is "Hornicks' in the west end of Jtown.  Lots of stuff, tries to compete with Cabelas. or so I have been told, I think they have a looong way to go for that. They have a good selection of archery stuff.

"Sports Discounters" in Richland, good general purpose sports store, carries "assualt weapons"  
most stores here seem to shy away from them.

"Windber Hardware sports loft"  Good folks, they will do transfers from out of state for $17.  much cheaper than the others.

And then the usual suspects, walmart, dunhams, and a Gander Mountain will open soon.  

Shooting places, Ive only gone to Daiseytown club farm range, I joined there, it is only $20  a year plus NRA membership.  There are lots of ranges around.

There are several sporting goods store in Somerset, I have not been to yet, but I see a feild trip soon.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the info. I've been stoping at Sporting Goods Discounters for a while now.
Just couldn't buy any handguns until now.

When I was back here for settlement on this place the end of June I stopped in.
Was looking for a Glock 34 to shoot production class IPSC with.
A new one at the shop I was working at would run me about $625.00
Doug said he had one coming in used at $440.00 the next day so I put a deposit on it.

Yesterday I got my PA drivers license and went directly to see Doug.
15 minutes later I'm walking out the door with the pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top