Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2005 2:30:46 PM EDT
I may be buying a sar-1 face to face from someone in state college... i really don't know much about gun laws in pa... do i need to get it registered or anything like that? And is it legal to obtain one face to face without a background check?
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No problems.  No FFL except for handguns.  It's the responsibility of the buyer to not sell to someone who is reasonably believed to not be allowed to purchase a firearm.  No registration for anything either, except a defacto registration by the PSP, but it's up to them to create the illegal registration, if you buy it legally you don't have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
do these laws vary from county to township?

so basically you just need to be over 18 and not be a fugitive or illegal immagrint?
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
bingo
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
PA has a preemption statute... gun laws HAVE to be passed at the state level.

Any attempt to regulate firearms by counties, cities, townships etc. are illegal and void.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome.

Can i only shoot at ranges? is there anywhere in the woods or where ever that i can shoot?
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Here’s a fun fact:

Thanks to the Brady Act, you still have to go through the NICS.

BUT.

The fun part is that By Law, any Police Station, Local or State Police Barracks will do the background check for you.  They will still charge you the few dollars it costs to run the NICS.

And there is no such thing as "Registration".

I don't anybody who used a PD to do the Background check, but the law is there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
really? even with face to face deals?

i had no idea... but is that even enforced?
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]
NICS for handguns.  FTF for longguns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

NICS for both.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
really? even with face to face deals?

i had no idea... but is that even enforced?

"It is better to be safe than sorry."

I've seen a FTF deal go down in an FFL's store.  They used him to do the NICS check.  I don't know what he charged them for his services.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this a new law? I see long guns and shotguns for sale at garage sales and flea markets all the time, and there is no FFL in sight.

Quoted:

Quoted:

NICS for both.

Link Posted: 5/6/2005 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is this a new law? I see long guns and shotguns for sale at garage sales and flea markets all the time, and there is no FFL in sight.

Like I said, It's better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]
here you go. right from the PA state police web site;

Are there any requirements for a private transfer of a long gun between two Pennsylvania residents?

No, PA law does not require private transfers of long guns to be conducted through a licensed dealer. However, it is against the law to sell/transfer a firearm to an individual who you know is prohibited from possessing a firearm. Must a dealer submit a surcharge form every 14 days if no guns are sold? No. The law requires that a dealer submit any Application/Record of Sale forms and surcharge remittance forms and fees within 14 days from the date of sale. The exception would be if a dealer conducted background checks that were denied. He must then report and pay for the background checks conducted during that 14 day period even though he does not have any sales.

Are guns required to be registered in Pennsylvania?

No. Pennsylvania does not require firearms to be registered.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
There is NO federal requirement for a background check for intrastate transfers of any firearm other than those regulated under the NFA.

The background check for intrastate handgun sales is part of the PA Uniform firearms act.  There is no such regulation in the UFA regarding long guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top