Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2004 3:20:56 PM EDT
Are there any AR friendly public ranges in PA. Every time I go to the one above Happy Acres I see a sign that could have been printed by chuck schumer. I pay state taxes too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of the state are you in ?? That state ranges in the eastern part have no problem with ARs . You might get some looks from the bolt guys but thats about it
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What part of the state are you in ?? That state ranges in the eastern part have no problem with ARs . You might get some looks from the bolt guys but thats about it

Clinton County just east of Lock Haven on 220
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Unless you consider a three round load limit a problem. I'd rather load one at a time at DCF&S and not worry about catching one in the back while I'm changing targets.
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
All the "public" ranges are owned and run by the PGC. The ranges are purchased and maintained through revenue from the purchase of hunting licenses, not tax dollars.

So the ranges will be set up and run primarily for the hunting crowd, as far as rifle ranges.
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All the "public" ranges are owned and run by the PGC. The ranges are purchased and maintained through revenue from the purchase of hunting licenses, not tax dollars.

So the ranges will be set up and run primarily for the hunting crowd, as far as rifle ranges.

Yeah, and don't even be in "possession" of a full auto rifle while at the range! You'll lose it!
Link Posted: 4/14/2004 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Just how would you loose it, by being in possession of it at the range? Your not breaking any law by being in possession of it. Shooting it FA, is another matter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just how would you loose it, by being in possession of it at the range? Your not breaking any law by being in possession of it. Shooting it FA, is another matter.

Steve,

The "signs" that are posted at the PGC shooting ranges say "illegal to possess" full auto rifles. I called and asked if I could just shoot mine in "semi" and was told that the MG wasn't even permitted in the parking lot. I took that to mean, if any of the deputies (yahoos) or, the district wco, were to see it, it could be forfit. Now, they do allow semi auto AR15's. ....Just no MG's.

John
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm......never noticed that on the sign. Guess I'll have to re-read them on my next trip out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve fired my Mac on Public Ranges.  I just kept the gun on semi and shot away.  Of course if I had company I’d quickly switch to the 6 round mags.

I even asked the Powers That Be about that RULE.  I was told that as long as I shot straight semi there would be no trouble.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't really see the point in taking a full auto weapon to a range where you are only allowed to load three rounds at a time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can't really see the point in taking a full auto weapon to a range where you are only allowed to load three rounds at a time.

Practice for CMP shoots.  There are stages where you have to load one round at a time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, that's a stretch, but I suppose it is a reason. Do you shoot your Mac in CMP matches often?
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Bigdb1,
My M16A1 carbine w/14.5in. bbl and an A2 upper, is so darn accurate I find I shoot most in semi. If I were going out to go shoot, you can be sure I'm taking some 30 rnd mags and the "range" is MG friendly. Locally, the DCFAS club allows "one" round. That was ok to sight the rifle in at 100 yds. $100 a yr for membership was too pricey for "one rnd 'bursts."
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I said my piece on DCF&S vs. the game lands above. I agree that the one at a time rifle range sucks. Only 5 at the pistol range sucks too. But if you live by the airport and want to be able to shoot after work, it's still the best club in the area. I belong to another club up in New Tripoli that is semi auto friendly. Trouble is, the hour and a half drive makes getting there a once in a while proposition.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I said my piece on DCF&S vs. the game lands above. I agree that the one at a time rifle range sucks. Only 5 at the pistol range sucks too. But if you live by the airport and want to be able to shoot after work, it's still the best club in the area. I belong to another club up in New Tripoli that is semi auto friendly. Trouble is, the hour and a half drive makes getting there a once in a while proposition.

....I know what you meaan. I have to drive 1.25 hrs to shoot the M16 The good part is, I'm going to go shooting this Sunday!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]
That's great! A bud of mine and I are taking Tuesday off work and head up to New Tripoli to populate the berms. I like to get up there early in the day mid week. That way I don't annoy the bolt gunners, and they don't annoy me.

Shoot well on Sunday!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top