Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 7:51:58 PM EDT

Part of Rick Santorum's response to an AWB letter

I would like to take this opportunity to share with you my position on the issue of gun control.  I agree that the Second Amendment must be protected.  During my service in the House of Representatives, I adamantly opposed legislation that would restrict legal gun ownership.  As your United States Senator, I have continued to remain consistent in my support for Second Amendment rights.

Legal gun owners are not the source of our nation's crime problems.  The real "assault weapons" (emphasis added) in our society are the repeat violent offenders who use guns to commit crimes and destroy lives.  Instead of criminalizing gun ownership, I believe Congress must pass tougher sentencing laws.  It is time to close the "revolving door" in our criminal justice system that allows hundreds of violent offenders back on the street to threaten our safety.  To combat this problem, I have supported the suspension of federal prison construction funds to states that do not pass "truth in sentencing" laws to ensure that violent criminals serve the majority of their sentence.  Thank you for your input.  If I may be of further assistance with this or any other matter, please feel free to call on me again.

Any typos in that are due to my typing, not his.

I was pretty sure this was the kind of response that I would get.

If you're in his district, please vote to keep Santorum in when the time comes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard anyting from Arlen Spectre on the letter I sent him regarding the AWB, but I got a similar letter from Mr. Santorum.  

I haven't heard jack squat from my representatives in the house either.  If I get anything good back I'll post it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a step in the right direction but it's still far from the right way to handle violent offenders, ESPECIALLY  repeat violent offenders.

Murderers, robbers who kill or injure during a robbery, rapist and child molesters should be tried, convicted, sentenced to death and then actually have the sentence carried out in a timely fashion.

The execution should be televised.

Senator Santorum's proposal is nothing more than a reason to build more prisons. He must have interests in a concrete and rebar company!

Stiffer sentencing has never been a deterrent to crime.

While I do not know if the death penalty has ever deterred criminal activity it SURELY deters repeat criminal activity.

That's all I have to say about that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
This is why voting is so important, sometimes we feel like our "one" vote won't make a difference, but it does.

Do some research and get out and vote.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is a step in the right direction but it's still far from the right way to handle violent offenders, ESPECIALLY  repeat violent offenders.

Murderers, robbers who kill or injure during a robbery, rapist and child molesters should be tried, convicted, sentenced to death and then actually have the sentence carried out in a timely fashion.

The execution should be televised.

Senator Santorum's proposal is nothing more than a reason to build more prisons. He must have interests in a concrete and rebar company!

Stiffer sentencing has never been a deterrent to crime.

While I do not know if the death penalty has ever deterred criminal activity it SURELY deters repeat criminal activity.

That's all I have to say about that.

i like the way you think...

although i have been saying for years that the execution should be pay-per-view to compensate the state and the victims...

dead criminals are no longer a threat to society!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top