Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2003 1:03:21 PM EDT
They are located in jeffersonville
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've bought a couple of firearms there, but not recently.  Bought my first gun there, actually.  About average pricing, sometimes they seem friendly, sometimes they seem too busy to bother acknowledging your presense.  Decent selection for such a small shop, but that seems to be because they don't stock much in the way of accessories - mostly just firearms.  Which is sort of strange, since I always hear that the gunshop owners tend to make much more on the "add-on" sales of such items than on guns themselves.  

There's another place, Gray's Outfitters, about 200 yds up/down the street (away from norristown, towards collegeville), on the same side, as well.  The owner of that is a much nicer guy (scruffy looking beard, kinda big), who'll probably remember you the next time you come in.  Not quite the selection of new guns, but he has alot more used preban EBR-type rifles.  However, that's probably because the pricing on them is generally insane.  He's got other hunting, archery, fishing, paintball stuff as well, although it shop is generally a mess.  

They seem to have some sort of relationship, though.  First, it is sort of strange to have two gunshops in such close proximity, and then nothing else for quite a distance around.   I often see the same people, with the exception of the two owners, working both shops, and they sometimes share tables at the local shows.

Rocko
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my DSA SA58 carbine from them.
They do a lot a sales at gun shows.

The owner (the guy with the pony tail) and the other guy with the white hair (don't remember their names) are very good people.

When I went into pick up my FAL, they had a good weekend at a gun show. The owner knocked 100bucks off the gun. I was very happy with them.

BUT I walked in one day, and there was another guy there (always wears a ball-cap), total asshole!

Very rude, I told him I was just looking, he gets cocky, and says "What are you looking for?"
I say again just looking, he starts shaking his head, like I'm an ass hole.

I walked out. Later I called the white haired guy and told him about his attitude, the guy tells me I'm not the first person to complain about the guy.

I told him if the guy was ever there when I came in, I would turn around and leave.
The guy said he understood.

All in all I would buy another gun from them, just not the ass with the attitude.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I wrote a paragraph on In Site and Gray's (and some other places in the area) for the MD/DE/DC forum:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=29&t=172882

Short version, In Site has an attitude problem.  John Gray is a decent guy, but his stuff is spendy.

jafager
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to expound a bit further, I've gotten mixed responses from the owner of In Site as well - the guy with the pony tail.  Strangely enough, he was nicest when I was just having him do a transfer for me - we BS'ed for a couple of minutes.   There was an older guy I've seen a couple of times (white haired guy mentioned above, maybe?), and he's been pretty consistently nice.   There is also a heavyset guy who I've seen working in both Gray's and In Site and he's always been really nice as well.  He's the one who took the order for my first gun, although I knew exactly what I wanted, so he pretty much just approved of the choice, vs. really helping me find something...

As for Gray's, I've gotten good deals and OK deals, pricewise.  As I mentioned, he remembers you when you come back, so the more you go, the better deals you can get.   He's always thrown in freebies from the start on firearms for me, even if it was just a box of plinking ammo to go with the gun.  However, he made a bad recommendation to me - steered me away from a PSS I wanted him to get to a Steyr SBS Tactical that I was never happy with (of course, the steyr had been sitting on his shelf for awhile).  I guess since then I've sort of held a grudge since then, although I realize that's not being fair, and at least a much my fault for letting him convince me...  He does act sort of weird when NFA stuff comes into the conversation (maybe the bad "vibe" mentioned in the other post?) - I bought my USP tactical there, and when I picked it up, his voice got real low, eyes darted around, and he started to talk about how I can get a can for it, but his attitude suggested they were verboten.   Same when he started talking about his HK sear - it's obvious he knows the stuff is legal, he just gets sort of weird when talking about it.  Dunno...

Rocko
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Dredd308 so that gun was yours, I bought my DSA Tactical model from them, they all seem like a bunch of good guys. They do have some of the best stuff there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Here is the DSA i got from them.

Rocko, what dont you like about the Steyr SBS?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rocko, what dont you like about the Steyr SBS?

Well, mostly because it wouldn't really shoot worth a crap - or at least not as well as a rifle in that price range should have.  I attribute this mostly to the complete piece of sh*t stock.  It is/was so flimsy that you could easily move the foreend to contact the barrel without much pressure.  Despite being advertised as free-floated, the second you used any sort of rest (bench, bipod, etc.) the foreend would flex enough for contact.  In fact, there was a pad in the front of the stock because of this...  I know lots of rifles use a pad, but if so, they're not free floated.

Even worse, after 5-6 rounds, the heat of the barrel combined with the pressure would cause the foreend to twist and warp, such that the stock was touching the barrel even when the pressure was removed - on the side of the barrel and not even on the pad.  As a result, while the first 3-4 rounds would be an unimpressive ~1.5-2", after that, the groups opened up substantially more.   Once cooled, the stock would return to its normal position.

The only aftermarket option other than going complete custom was the McMillan stock offered on one of the production models, for like $600.   Way more money than I wanted to spend on a rifle that was mediocre at best, that may or may not fix the problem.

The bore was also quite rough, picking up what I would consider excess copper fouling.  The 10 round mags were also prohibitively expensive at $100 a pop - come on now, they were plastic and probably cost less than $5 to make.  At the time, Steyr also dumped GSI as the importer, so no source of parts or service was really available.  

So... instead of dumping another $600 into what was already a fairly expensive rifle (for producton), that no one knew how to work on, with no source of spare parts, I sold it and bought an LTR (like I was originally going to do.... well, a PSS as the LTR wasn't released at that time) for $725, that'll shoot .5-.75 MOA without a problem, provided I do my part.

Rocko
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#8]

He does act sort of weird when NFA stuff comes into the conversation (maybe the bad "vibe" mentioned in the other post?) - I bought my USP tactical there, and when I picked it up, his voice got real low, eyes darted around, and he started to talk about how I can get a can for it, but his attitude suggested they were verboten.   Same when he started talking about his HK sear - it's obvious he knows the stuff is legal, he just gets sort of weird when talking about it.  Dunno...

That's exactly what I was talking about.  Sometimes John acts like he has a guilty conscience.  Maybe he's had trouble with the ATF, who knows.  I've overheard his employees bad-mouthing him behind his back, too, but I don't particularly hate my boss and I've made plenty of snarky comments when he isn't around.

jafager
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top