Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2021 9:28:02 PM EDT
I have a gun safe by Winchester with a dial. I’ve had it for 5 years and have never had problems. I opened it the other day, but now I can’t get the combination to work. Anyone ever have this problem or know of a good local locksmith they would recommend?

Kevdog
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I used Jeff Cornell (928-710-0912), he is a locksmith who specializes in safes.  He swapped the pad out on mine after it quit working.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you ver much for your reply. I will check him out. I should specify that I live in North Scottsdale.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Look up combination drift on YouTube.

Had a similar problem, combo didn't work after a few years, followed some tips I saw and got it to work properly again.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
push the door in with your knee and hold handle in the direction of locking (opposite the direction of opening it, try it both ways) while dialing the combo

sometimes if the internals are forced to one side the dial kinda jams and won't work.

sometimes when we overstuff our safes the internal mechanism gets forced in that way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
When the discs slip, one or more of your numbers may be off a digit or two.  You might get lucky and try again with this in mind.

People think that manual dials are more robust than digital, but the only one I have seen fail is a manual type.

Rapid spinning of the dial when clearing is the eventual cause.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
@Kevdog need an update.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
When I started having intermittent issues unlocking my safe a Locksmith came out.  Luckily I was able to get it open, otherwise it would need drilled.

I was told that for each number, try the combination of going lower or higher one digit and sometimes you get lucky.  HTH.

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you ver much for your reply. I will check him out. I should specify that I live in North Scottsdale.
View Quote

I’m in cave creek and he came to me.  Believe he lives In Prescott but works in the valley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top