Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2021 12:37:24 AM EDT
Does AZ have School choice? Can I choose to send my son to a Private Christian School with a school voucher?
If so, how do these programs work? What are the qualifications and requirements?

My son is only 1 year old, and obviously this is waaay to early to worry about it, but I'd like to know in advance what programs are available so we know ahead of time what we will decide as to homeschooling vs. private schooling.
I'm deadset against sending our kid to Public schools given how woke they're becoming and how terrifyingly left-wing some teachers are becoming. I dont want to send my son to a public school where he'll be indoctrinated to hate America, hate his parents, hate God, and other crap.
I know some here will probably argue that, our schools "Arent that bad yet" (*doubt*) but I can't imagine what they'll be teaching in 4 years.

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get a "school account" funded for private school, but the requirements are pretty strict.

https://education.azgovernor.gov/edu/arizona-school-choice

Wall of text below.

Who Qualifies?

Pursuant to Arizona Statute, many Arizona families can utilize Empowerment Scholarship Accounts.

A "qualified student" means an Arizona resident who meets any of the following eligibility criteria:

Student has a disability with a current MET report, IEP, or 504 plan from an Arizona public school.
Student has a sibling that currently uses or previously utilized the ESA program.
Student resides (kindergarten only) in the boundary of or attends (grades 1-12) a school or school district that has a letter grade of D or F.
Student has received an Arizona Scholarship for Pupils with Disabilities, and the student's parent or guardian has not been removed from that program for noncompliance.
Student was a ward of the juvenile court, and either (i) was adopted or received permanent guardianship or (ii) is residing with a prospective permanent placement seeking to adopt or obtain permanent guardianship.
Student whose parent or guardian is on active military duty or was killed in the line of duty serving in the Armed Forces.
Student resides on an Indian Reservation.
Student whose parent or legal guardian is legally blind, deaf, or hard of hearing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I teach at a public school and my kids attend/ed private Lutheran K-8, and a charter HS.

Private, Christian education is out of pocket, nominally. However Arizona has a large amount of tuition assistance funds that use tax deferred funding. For Christian school the largest is ACSTO. Look into the tuition tax program, it should cover the overwhelming amount of the tuition if the school has a good coordinator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top