Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2021 8:49:15 PM EDT
I had a previous post that we might be moving to AZ, the wife was offered the job in Scottsdale. So we will be moving west.

I have been reading about AZ gun laws but was hoping another Ohio transplant that has made the move might be able to point out the differences. They seem somewhat similar. Big differences I see re constitutional carry , no police notification and carry on school grounds ( here the gun can be loaded but must stay in the car)

Any pointers on AZ gun law fine points would be appreciated.

I am not finding much on knives, specifically auto knives?
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had a previous post that we might be moving to AZ, the wife was offered the job in Scottsdale. So we will be moving west.

I have been reading about AZ gun laws but was hoping another Ohio transplant that has made the move might be able to point out the differences. They seem somewhat similar. Big differences I see re constitutional carry , no police notification and carry on school grounds ( here the gun can be loaded but must stay in the car)

Any pointers on AZ gun law fine points would be appreciated.

I am not finding much on knives, specifically auto knives?
View Quote

All NFA items are legal. Constitutional Carry, but get your AZ permit regardless (allows you carry in an establishment that serves alcohol - can't do that without a permit.  And a AZ permit is saves you a lot of time on a 4473...the permit serves as your background check).  

You cannot carry a firearm on any school grounds.  

We don't care about knives...do what you want.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/arizona-knife-law-premption/

Section 1. Title 13, chapter 31, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 13-3120, to read:

13-3120. Knives regulated by state; state preemption; definitions

A. Except as provided in subsections C and D, a political subdivision of this state shall not enact any ordinance, rule or tax relating to the transportation, possession, carrying, sale, transfer, purchase, gift, devise, licensing, registration or use of a knife or knife making components in this state.

B. A political subdivision of this state shall not enact any rule or ordinance that relates to the manufacture of a knife and that is more prohibitive than or that has a penalty that is greater than any rule or ordinance that is related to the manufacture of any other commercial goods.

C. This section does not prohibit a political subdivision of this state from enacting and enforcing any ordinance or rule pursuant to state law, to implement or enforce state law or relating to imposing any privilege or use tax on the retail sale, lease or rental of, or the gross proceeds or gross income from the sale, lease or rental of, a knife or any knife components at a rate that applies generally to other items of tangible personal property.

D. This section does not prohibit a political subdivision of this state from regulating employees or independent contractors of the political subdivision who are acting within the course and scope of their employment or contract.

E. A political subdivision’s rule or ordinance that relates to knives and that is inconsistent with or more restrictive than state law, whether enacted before or after the effective date of this amendment to this section, is null and void.

F. For the purposes of this section:

1. “Knife” means a cutting instrument and includes a sharpened or pointed blade.

2. “Political subdivision” includes any county, city, including a charter city, town, municipal corporation or special district, any board, commission or agency of a county, city, including a charter city, town, municipal corporation or special district or any other local public agency.

Legislative intent

It is the intent of the legislature to preempt the regulation of knives in this state. Knife regulation is of statewide concern. Therefore, the legislature intends to limit the ability of any political subdivision of this state to regulate knives. This act applies to any ordinance enacted before or after the effective date of this act.

NOTE: In addition, section 15-341, Arizona Revised Statutes; relating to weapons, was amended by adding reference to this new section 13-3120 to mirror the existing inclusion of the firearms preemption section. This will allow schools to continue to prohibit knives on campus, if they so choose, maintaining the status quo in this regard.
View Quote

You can carry any Auto you want.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about Ohio, but a nice law in AZ is employers cannot have no firearm policies in their parking lot.  They can require it be out of sight 100% of the time, but that is it.  This only changed in the last 10 years or so.  My employer was not thrilled removing their parking lot gun ban but F them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry without the permit will probably get it someday though.As for schools i pick up my daughter across the street from a school i leave gun at home.

Im sure theres a big difference between driving past a school going to a market vs sitting parked across from one carrying.But yes i love the gun laws here too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not see a reason to register with the government and execute my constitutional carry. Just don't walk into a school with your firearm and your fine. As posted before no laws regarding knifes, brass knuckles..
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
unless it changed, I thought CCW allowed gun on school grounds if it was unloaded.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Laws seem to be similar to Ohio.  With a CCW we can go o to school grounds but it has to stay in the car. We don't have constitutional carry (yet). But nice will get the CCW ni can carry into places that serve alcohol.  

It looks like my Ohio CCW will allow me to get the AZ CCW without training.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty simple.  If you can legally own it, you can carry it however you want.

No CCW requirement (Still will issue and bypasses a NICS)

No guns in .Gov buildings/Schools

No guns in bars.

No guns where commie business installs "NO GUN" signs

No FTF background checks (Back alley guns deals highly encouraged)  

The last I checked you CAN keep your gun in your car if you go to a school but it had to be unloaded.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Concealed means concealed.  Not much more you need to know.  Learn it, do it right.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty simple.  If you can legally own it, you can carry it however you want.

No CCW requirement (Still will issue and bypasses a NICS)

No guns in .Gov buildings/Schools

No guns in bars.

No guns where commie business installs "NO GUN" signs

No FTF background checks (Back alley guns deals highly encouraged)  

The last I checked you CAN keep your gun in your car if you go to a school but it had to be unloaded.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
View Quote

Concealed is concealed. If you are caught and the business says something. Oh I missed the sign. I’ll leave. They cannot do anything about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Join AZCDL, too. There is a good book, don't know if it is currently updated, Arizona Gun Owners Guide, usually available at the good guns shops, but I haven't seen it in a while, but haven't really LOOKED for it in a while.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do not see a reason to register with the government and execute my constitutional carry. Just don't walk into a school with your firearm and your fine. As posted before no laws regarding knifes, brass knuckles..
View Quote
Permit speeds up a gun purchase immensely.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

And is one of the best permits in the country for reciprocity.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Concealed is concealed. If you are caught and the business says something. Oh I missed the sign. I’ll leave. They cannot do anything about it.
View Quote

Err, no, if the sign is ARS 4-229 compliant, you just committed a crime.

One of the things we need to get undone.  ARS 4-229 should be repealed.  Barring that, we should have an exemption for CCW holders or force those with them to accept liability or be required to provide secure storage.  They'll quickly take their silly little signs down.

I hope everyone in AZ is joining AZCDL https://azcdl.org/  There are a lot of Californians moving here, and the RTS comments for gun bills get swarmed by whining fat moms demanding "action".
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#15]
The hilarious thing is 4-229 is for places serving open alcohol. I saw one at the front desk of a nursing/convalescent home. I asked the front desk when Happy Hour was - she didn't get it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:45:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

and any gun store you go will instantly be happy to  help you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#17]
https://handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Should answer all your gun rights questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top