Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 9:09:22 AM EDT
So my dad is retiring after 35 years in the army and DOD civil service to a really nice place that mom and him bought cheap when the market in Phoenix tanked. He and mom intend to remain residents of Idaho where they will spend summers and winters will be spend at "Casa El de Fsjdw2 Sr" (hand done mosaic on bottom of pool, jacuzzi, sauna, 5 bedrooms, gated community, ect ect) . Dad's firearms collection consists a .38 antique from wwII(uncle's bring back), and a .30-06 remington 700 both at the summer home in idaho. I will be visiting in winter and am curious about  gifting dad a stripped lower and parts kit so dad can build a replica ar15 (m16a1 replica with no switch). Will I legally have to transfer the lower through a dealer? If so who is a good dealer(cheap, and stocks some .223 for sighting in reasons) in the Peoria area?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to AZ.

It is legal to gift a firearm, no dealer required.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless the OPs profile is out of date, he is in Alaska and his dad is splitting his time between Idaho and Arizona. Interstate transfers must take place through an FFL, even if they involve family members. Now, if the OP were a resident (not just visiting) of either Idaho or Arizona he would be able to transfer the firearm while his father was resident in the same state. ATF FAQ for guidance.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If the OP were to ask his dad to keep one of his guns at his dad's AZ home so he can use it when he visits I can't see any issue. His dad could even take it out and do a little shooting to make sure the gun is sighted in and functions OK.

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest just taking him to a shop and picking up a lower for him and with him!
Quick Guns Mesa
Scottsdale Gun Club
Shooters World Peoria (2 locations).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top