Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 2:31:21 AM EDT
We're travelling to Phoenix/Glendale for the Fiesta Bowl and I'm looking for advice on places to stay and areas to avoid. Budget is limited so I was going to try to stay near the ball park or near the airport to miminize ground transportation costs. Predictably, rooms near the field are gone or going at a premium. Any input from the local experts on which areas are good, bad or indifferent would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Denny R
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
how long are you staying? if you plan to fly in, watch game, check in, sleep. fly out, anywhere is fine.

anything super close to airport is "ghetto". City of Tempe (near airport) is college town so its loud. Glendale could be nice but pockets of "ghetto" and also will be pricey
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Whether it's the Super Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, or Rose Bowl, just plan on spending money. This is one of those times when they have you by the short hairs. Even Motel 6 raises their rates for these events.

Pay the money and stay reasonably close, or pay less (but not cheap) money and then deal with the traffic for HOURS.

Unless you have willing friends or relatives to put you up, pay up. Sorry. It's just the way it is. This is for the rich people or the average Joe who will do this once in his life.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure I'd spend any time at all near the stadium. There's a nice little mall there, and a Cabelas, but that's about it.

If you stay closer to the airport*, I would stay in North Tempe. The BWW's Bowl should have cleared out by then, so you should be able to get a decent price.

What's your budget?

*-Do not stay really close the the Airport.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
if things go really pear shaped let me know. it's not a lot of room and hope you like cats, but it's right off the 101 (which runs right past the stadium).

35'th avenue and the 101, if you look at google earth.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to any hotels on the north end near State Route 101.  The stadium is on the 101 on the west side, so it would be a short drive on the highway.   Try hotels near Paradise Valley Mall area, might get a better deal.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
2 words .
Hotwire

Hotwire or price line as close as possible and don't drink and drive.
Az
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 words .
Hotwire

Hotwire or price line as close as possible and don't drink and drive.
Az
View Quote

Zero tolerance and harsh penalties. They'll nail someone for 'impaired to the slightest degree.' Don't mess around
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top