Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 5:57:04 PM EDT
Work truck was running a little weird.  As in missing pretty bad.  

Took it in (they're close to the shop).  They said it was 2 quarts low on oil and due for the 100k service (plugs, wires, transmission service).  They said it was possible it was the low oil or maybe a plug/wire going bad causing the miss.  I said go ahead and do that stuff.  They did.

Then things went bad.

Service guy calls me and says "Well, it's still missing.  We're getting a code P0304.  Based on research, it's a problem with the active fuel management system.  We have to pull the heads and replace all the lifters, as well as some valley pan with solenoids.  On top of that, your front brakes are completely shot.  Bare metal.  You're going to need to replace pretty much all the brake hardware.  The rotors are worn out of spec.  The calipers are worn out."

It was at that point that I said "You know what, I'm just going to come down and pick it up.  DON'T do anymore work to it."  

Want to know why?  Because in March, I put new calipers, new rotors, and new brake pads on it.  I put new tires on it 3 weeks ago.  The brakes were in good shape.  Worn, yes.  We drive 30k miles a year.  Completely shot?  Nope.  Rotors so out of spec they can't be machined?  On less than ONE set of brake pads?  That would be surprising, to say the least.  When he started talking about charging me $1k to replace brakes that didn't need replacing, I knew I needed to get the truck out of there.

Well, guess what.  Truck runs fine.  Put 1000 miles on it since I picked it up "needing" $4k in engine work.  No check engine light.  Surprisingly, the brakes are still good, not even to the warning tabs yet.  In fact, probably 1/8" away.

So, if you want my 2 cents, don't go to Sun Devil Auto on 67th Ave and Bell.

(edit for location clarification)
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
i had similar story at the Prescott AAMCO ..

They screwed me out of 5k~ and the problem was never fixed..

they diagnosed it as the torque converter going out on my truck, so they rebuilt the transmission with new heavy duty torque converter,

when i picked up the truck it still had the same problem.. also never saw the "bad" parts even though i specifically told them to keep them so i could see them, they said they would..

then they started throwing parts at it at my expense, including something called a "happy box" that they ordered off the internet.. screw them..

Then owner lied to me, and the head manager some meat head lied as well.. real quality organization they run there
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an ex that rebuild her transmission 2X for a hesitation/shudder between shifts...

When I heard about it, and after a bit of research, I replaced the plugs/wires.  Problem solved.  $2k wasted.

Throwing money at car problems is never good.  Test. Test. Test.  Then spend. lol

Also, AutoZone's prices (for parts) aren't bad, and their warranties get honored.  I've swapped out 'lifetime' plug wires like 3x no questions asked.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chain is bad news, especially Sun Devil. Glad you decided to pick up your truck before they touched it again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
In the future go a mile south to Sunburst Automotive. My mom has used them for years and they've always been honest and fair.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Daves Car Care on 51st ave and Peoria that place is amazing. They beat the other quote I got before them by over 400 dollars and they sent me movie tickets afterwards to thank me for the business with a hand written letter. Best mechanic I've ever been to in my life.

edit: They also hang a picture of the primary technician working on your car on your review mirror.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top