Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 6:08:52 AM EDT
My buddy is coming out on the 19th, among other things planned, I want to visit prescott, as when I come back to AZ next year, its on my list
of places to check out to live.

So, i'm looking for places to camp, where shooting is okay to do with as much scenic views as possible. And anything worth seeing and doing in the area.

As stated, looking for good areas where shooting is ok to do as for the rest of the few weeks traveling home, I'll be visiting mostly state/national parks
where shooting is...well not allowed, or even open carry.

Suggestions!!!?

edit: I like scenery Greenery, mountains, you know
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Over here, you just find a dirtroad, drive down it until you feel like stopping, and then get out and camp and shoot. If you want greener stuff, head up on Mingus or out to Alto, past Prescott towards Skull Valley. You could always head out towards Perkinsville and camp down by the river, it's pretty green down there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Over here, you just find a dirtroad, drive down it until you feel like stopping, and then get out and camp and shoot. If you want greener stuff, head up on Mingus or out to Alto, past Prescott towards Skull Valley. You could always head out towards Perkinsville and camp down by the river, it's pretty green down there.

See, I was told the same thing about the PHX area

I found out that was wrong.

I like green, but I also like desert, a mix of the two

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
llama,
What type of vehicle will you be using?
Most of the great places are back in a ways.

I'm in a charcoal grey 2003 lancer OZ (if you see one in prescott from the 20th-24th, look for the bolt face logo on the rear window or Zed arfcom sticker on the back passenger windows, its me)
Its not a big deal if I'll have to hike in to good areas, I just need to know where these areas are. I'd really like to make my last week in AZ something I won't forget.

Because the week after when I drive home, I have rafting booked in Moab utah, bunch of stuff all along the way home to MI. But I'd like to do some fun, in AZ.

PLus, I need to see Prescott anyway, when I move back to AZ next year, I'm thinking Prescott
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

llama,

What type of vehicle will you be using?

Most of the great places are back in a ways.

I'm in a charcoal grey 2003 lancer OZ (if you see one in prescott from the 20th-24th, look for the bolt face logo on the rear window or Zed arfcom sticker on the back passenger windows, its me
)

Its not a big deal if I'll have to hike in to good areas, I just need to know where these areas are. I'd really like to make my last week in AZ something I won't forget.

Because the week after when I drive home, I have rafting booked in Moab utah, bunch of stuff all along the way home to MI. But I'd like to do some fun, in AZ.

PLus, I need to see Prescott anyway, when I move back to AZ next year, I'm thinking Prescott

Ummm..... I hate to tell you this but Prescott is full, no more room for anyone to move here! J/K

Juniper Mesa is nice for camping but really as the poster above said you can just pick a dirt road and start driving. If you want I could give you directions to Juniper Mesa. I would tell you to look me up when you are here and I could take you out there myself but unfortunately I am getting my wisdom teeth out that week which means I will be a useless pile of goo for a few days.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm in a charcoal grey 2003 lancer OZ (

I would take Perkinsville rd from Chino Valley to Jerome. This is a county rd and passable in a 'car'. Most of the trip will be in national forest land so camp and shoot were ever it looks good to you. Some spectacular views of the Sedona red rocks from back there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
llama,
You are quite limited with a passenger car. There are nice places to camp you can get to, and nice places to shoot that you can get to.
But if you want to do both at the same spot, you'll probably need a truck to get there.
rizzo knows this area very well. Perhaps he has further insight.

Yup - a passenger car will limit you a little, especially if it's pretty low. But if you want to hike a few miles, then you're set. Like I said in my last post, if you want pine trees there are a few places you can go. I'll also add the Groom Creek area, as it is very thick with trees and very accessible with a car. Head up to Mt. Union and you'll be up at 8000 feet. If you are looking for greenery and some swimming and fishing and lots of open space for shooting, then Hell Point is a great choice. Your car can make it down the road, it's a pretty short walk, and it's a nice area. Pick up your brass and your trash, though - haul it in, haul it out.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in a charcoal grey 2003 lancer OZ (

I would take Perkinsville rd from Chino Valley to Jerome. This is a county rd and passable in a 'car'. Most of the trip will be in national forest land so camp and shoot were ever it looks good to you. Some spectacular views of the Sedona red rocks from back there.

This is also a great choice. Beautiful views of the San Fran peaks, Bill Williams Mt, Red Rocks, Sycamore Wilderness - it's all here and there are limitless camping places. Not as green until you head down to the river, though.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#9]
So many choices, can't make mind up.

Would would you consider to be the best for my current situation, and I'll need
some instructions on how to get there. I have GPS so, coordinates can work too.

Thanks all for the info, really going to come in handy.

This sounds cool. But I'm an idiot when it comes to instructions to get somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This sounds cool. But I'm an idiot when it comes to instructions to get somewhere.

If you want to hit up the Perkinsville area, the directions are easy. From this road you can get to Perkinsville, the backside of Prescott Valley, or go into Jerome. You could come in from Jerome, if that's easier for you, or you can come in from Chino Valley.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to hit up the Perkinsville area, the directions are easy. From this road you can get to Perkinsville, the backside of Prescott Valley, or go into Jerome. You could come in from Jerome, if that's easier for you, or you can come in from Chino Valley.

I might as well be handi cap with directions. I'm in mesa AZ, so I'm gathering this will be a far drive.

I was just going to type "Prescott" in my GPS and follow it blindly until I'm somewhere in Prescott and then find my way from where, somehow...if even possible.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
IM inbound
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
rizz.....let's take this kiid out there and churn and burn.
it'll be good practice,
llama, has you got cash for beer and ammo?

I'd love to!

But I'll be gone from tomorrow to next Saturday for Scout Camp. How long are you guys hanging around the Prescott area, llama?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
it'll be good practice,

Oopps, i think i accidently pressed the report button instead of quote
I would have money, but is there any ammo too buy? Ive been to walmarts everyday
in the past 2 weeks and have found 40rnds of 223 at 50cents a rnd, and NO federal .22
and no 9mm.

Quoted:
Quoted:
it'll be good practice,

I'd love to!

But I'll be gone from tomorrow to next Saturday for Scout Camp. How long are you guys hanging around the Prescott area, llama?

I think I'm going to go drive to prescott with my canadian never shot a gun friend on the 21st or 22nd. And spend the night
either in some cheap hotel or inland. And as for beer, Iwe have money, but were not 21. 19
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Llama,
Give me a call when you hit town.
Possibility I'll need to test fire. If so, you guys can come, I'll drive.
Chuck
928-775-4964

If I end up in Prescott, Will do!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top