Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 4:20:53 AM EDT
I have a NY State pistol permit. In the near future I will be relocating to Phoenix. Could someone give me some details on pistol permits in AZ, carry laws and purchases? I am bringing about 6 handguns and 7 rifles with me. Can I carry concealed or not?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I just made this same move.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you need an AZ drivers license to purchase or possess, but to carry concealed you will need to take a CCW class.

When I was getting ready to leave NY I started to look into what to do about my NYS pistol permit.  According to the paperwork I recieved with my permit we need to surrender it as soon as we move from NY.  The problem with this is I have a elusive unrestricted permit and who knows if I will ever get one again?  Furthermore the county clerk told me I needed to ammend my permit by first removing each gun.  This is obviously an excuse to charge me again.  Besides I need somewhere to transfer them to.  How the hell can I leaglly even get them out of NY?  So I shouldn't say anymore but I'm here in AZ and my guns are here with me and I was legal to transport them through every state I drove through.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#2]
AZ is a "shall issue" state, so all you need to do to get a concealed carry permit is take the class and pass the background check. There are some places you can't carry (that is covered in the class), but basically it's anyplace that serves alcohol for consumption on premises (bars, restaurants), government buildings, etc. Open carry is allowed in AZ.

You can purchase handguns/long guns without a waiting period or permit required. If you don't have a carry permit, they just do the NICS check (usually a few minutes). With a carry permit, it's cash and carry.

Oh, yeah, AZ is also NFA-friendly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't bring your guns.  You have to buy all new ones.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just made this same move.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you need an AZ drivers license to purchase or possess, but to carry concealed you will need to take a CCW class.

I've never heard of needing an AZ license to carry in AZ.  It is necessary to purchase a handgun here though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Mny different opinions here. I guess I will just get my own opinion when I make my move to AZ. NYS is probably the most difficult state to get a permit. It seems like quite a hassel to buy, carry or even own one in AZ. Maybe I'll just give my guns away and start over as one suggested.

1 Kimber Desert Warrior
3 Glocks
1 Para Warthog
1 SW Snub                      
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:40:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never heard of needing an AZ license to carry in AZ.  It is necessary to purchase a handgun here though.

Yah, you don't need an AZ license to posess or carry openly.
If that is how it worked they wouldn't be able to offer non-resident ccw permits.
All the other stuff stated so far on the laws are correct.

I highly suggest you pickup a copy of this book:

Edit:
Pic is also a link to the book on amazon.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yah, you don't need an AZ license to posess or carry openly.
If that is how it worked they wouldn't be able to offer non-resident ccw permits.
All the other stuff stated so far on the laws are correct.

I highly suggest you pickup a copy of this book:

images.amazon.com/images/P/1889632139.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg</a>
Edit:
Pic is also a link to the book on amazon.

thanks i just ordered it
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mny different opinions here. I guess I will just get my own opinion when I make my move to AZ. NYS is probably the most difficult state to get a permit. It seems like quite a hassel to buy, carry or even own one in AZ. Maybe I'll just give my guns away and start over as one suggested.

1 Kimber Desert Warrior
3 Glocks
1 Para Warthog
1 SW Snub                      

Seriously......
Dibs on the Warrior and all the Glocks.

BC
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Will an AZ State ID card work?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Bring me a pizza......I'm dyin ova here!!! lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1  Bring us food!  The food in AZ sucks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Odd!...  All the shooters are FAT here.  They must be eating something!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#13]
So what that actually means is I can walk around the streets with a gun on my hip and in clear view of all. If I wanted to conceal it like in my pocket or ankle I would have to take a class? I would just wera it on my hip. What do others think? Should I take the class or just wear it in full view??
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So what that actually means is I can walk around the streets with a gun on my hip and in clear view of all. If I wanted to conceal it like in my pocket or ankle I would have to take a class? I would just wera it on my hip. What do others think? Should I take the class or just wear it in full view??

Carrying open is (nominally) legal.  There are places posted (like Basha's grocery stores) that prohibit open carry (but Basha's is OK with permitted concealed-carry.)  You will get some odd looks.  You may attract some attention from a police officer. (Far too many people in AZ are unaware of the open-carry law.)  But you don't want to get a permit, you can carry openly.  If you want to carry concealed, you have to take a class, pay a fee, pass a background check, and get a permit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm here in Goodyear now visiting my bro, he said that I could only come if I brought 10lbs of Salens hotdogs for him....LOL
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carrying open is (nominally) legal.  There are places posted (like Basha's grocery stores) that prohibit open carry (but Basha's is OK with permitted concealed-carry.)  You will get some odd looks.  You may attract some attention from a police officer. (Far too many people in AZ are unaware of the open-carry law.)  But you don't want to get a permit, you can carry openly.  If you want to carry concealed, you have to take a class, pay a fee, pass a background check, and get a permit.

I open carry daily, never get a second glance.  the basha's by me does not have any signs saying i cant open carry there, so it must not be all basha's markets.  Cops dont even take a second glance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Odd!...  All the shooters are FAT here.  They must be eating something!

Yeah, burritos... fanous for beig "skinny" food.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So getting a permit is not recommended. What if I have a pistol in my pocket or on my ankle, am I asking for trouble with the law? I read somewhere that 3 inches of a holster has to be visable to be considered open carry, is that true? This is all greek to me, walking around with a gun on my hip visable to others. I guess when I get out there and see other people it wont be strange.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd recommend getting a permit -- no point playing with the law in that area.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'd recommend getting a permit -- no point playing with the law in that area.

+1

Besides after you fill out the paperwork for your gun purchase, no phone calls.  You are done!  Great added bonus!

You do know that there is no waiting period here in AZ don't you?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So getting a permit is not recommended. What if I have a pistol in my pocket or on my ankle, am I asking for trouble with the law? I read somewhere that 3 inches of a holster has to be visable to be considered open carry, is that true? This is all greek to me, walking around with a gun on my hip visable to others. I guess when I get out there and see other people it wont be strange.

It's incredibly simple, bro.

Concealed carry requires a permit.

Open carry does not.

No need to register your guns.

Mkay?

Honestly, that's all there is to it.  The book will tell you the rest, like places forbidden when carrying (bars, federal buildings, etc).  And I have never had a second look from a cop when open carrying.  Criminals are not likely to pack a Kimber open on their hip, and they know that.  

Still, the permit makes it easier and will explain the laws better.  Welcome bro!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#22]
So heres the deal. I bring my guns from NY to AZ. The next day I decide to go to the mall. I can wear my gun on my hip with no problems. I like that idea. It's just strange to me coming from a state where you have to hide it. So thanks everyone for your help. I should be out there by summers end.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Im from oregon, moving to Az in a few months. The  way oregon's CCW law works is that if you have the permit, you must carry it concealed and its illegal for you to carry it in the open. You can carry in the open here as well (some areas you cant) but only if you do not have a ccw permit. Is AZ's law like this?? i just ordered the book so i havent gotten it yet. thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So heres the deal. I bring my guns from NY to AZ. The next day I decide to go to the mall. I can wear my gun on my hip with no problems. I like that idea. It's just strange to me coming from a state where you have to hide it. So thanks everyone for your help. I should be out there by summers end.

Until you actually get to the mall, which is posted "No Weapons." So you get to leave your gun in the car.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Im from oregon, moving to Az in a few months. The  way oregon's CCW law works is that if you have the permit, you must carry it concealed and its illegal for you to carry it in the open. You can carry in the open here as well (some areas you cant) but only if you do not have a ccw permit. Is AZ's law like this?? i just ordered the book so i havent gotten it yet. thanks

No.  You can carry open with or without a permit.

You can only carry concealed with a permit (although, I've been caught more than a dozen times concealed carry with no permit, and was never given a hassle).  When the cops know you are law-abiding and exercising a right, permit or not, only the real dicks will hassle you about it.  90% of the cops here know people like us carry constantly, and the permit is just something they remind you to get for your own knowledge of what the laws are.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can only carry concealed with a permit (although, I've been caught more than a dozen times concealed carry with no permit, and was never given a hassle).  When the cops know you are law-abiding and exercising a right, permit or not, only the real dicks will hassle you about it.  90% of the cops here know people like us carry constantly, and the permit is just something they remind you to get for your own knowledge of what the laws are.

How do you get caught having a gun concealed? I cant figure that one out
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you get caught having a gun concealed? I cant figure that one out

One thing to consider when concealing in AZ is that it's usually hot, so people wear light clothing.  This causes guns to print.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I open carried in the bank today.  

It's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#29]
What part of NY are you comming from??? I lived in the Bronx till i was 22 and when i got married moved into Westchester Co. We've been out here in Az. for almost 2yrs. and we love it.
Brian
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What part of NY are you comming from??? I lived in the Bronx till i was 22 and when i got married moved into Westchester Co. We've been out here in Az. for almost 2yrs. and we love it.
Brian

I grew up in queens and lived on LI for many years . I now live in Rochester, NY.  I will be moving to AZ sometime this year
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Welcome to Az.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top